back to article Estonian labs chief says working for Microsoft hasn't changed Skype

Skype plans to retain its own proprietary P2P protocol even though closer alignment between Windows Live Messenger and the VoIP outfit, at least on some level, is likely in future. Tiit Paananen, manager of Skype's engineering centre in Tallinn, Estonia, said there would be closer links between Skype and Windows Live Messenger …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why Bother With Both WLM And Skype ?

Makes far more sense to have one single product as they overlap far too much. I expect WLM to die a slow death and eventually be replaced by the Skype brand.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why Bother With Both WLM And Skype ?

As long as they don't force me to sign in with a "Live ID" or whatever they call it now. I want to at least pretend it's not Microsoft. If it gets even 10% like the sneaky, hard-to-remove (to the layman), sinister-lurking-in-the-background-and-whispering-with-IE POS that Messenger is, it'll be gone from my machine.

2. W.O.Frobozz
    Thumb Down

Can't stand Skype

The audio quality is like two paper cups with a string through them. I still lament the destruction of Gizmo by Goog.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Can't stand Skype

"The audio quality is like two paper cups with a string through them."

You aren't using the correct cups and string, then. Obviously, you need my genuine Aw-D-O-phule Special Optimal Laminar Olefin (SOLO) cups, with my authentic Oxygen-Free Extra Virgin Yak wool twine, hand-woven by Tibetan Throat-Singing monks and harmonized by controlled exposure to my patented All-Natural Harmonic Magnetic Fields, a snip at US$10K a foot.

Then you will have that proper hi-definition, uncolored sound reproduction so lacking from any modern communications protocol.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Can't stand Skype

Don't Monster sell one of those?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Unless there is a court order to record conversations then Skype users are good"

Sounds like a backdoor to me. No technical reason why two peer-to-peer using Skype instances shouldn't generate a totally secure session key, exchanged with each other via PKE (e.g. exactly what SSL does) that would be utterly unbreakable regardless of whether a court order exists. Presumably if a Skype user has a special flag on their account set, the generated session key is deliberately insecure, or escrowed somewhere?

That's the last time I arrange my drug deals and terrorist plots via Skype :V

4. Captain DaFt

So I take it that when they say Microsoft hasn't changed them, it means they still haven't figured out how to make money?

(Other than finding another buyer with too much money.)

5. rvt
    FAIL

"We've kept the same development methodology since being acquired by Microsoft,"

Well, that's a pitty, that essentially means that Skypemwill stay bugg forever and they they will never listen to there customers and lastly, that the mac and ipad version ofmSkypemwill suck forever.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like