back to article Mensch pal Bozier defends Menshn security, dubs critics 'snippy geeks'

The launch of a Twitter-like messaging service co-founded by UK politician Louise Mensch on Sunday has been accompanied by a huge security flap. According to users who sent in complaints, Menshn.com allegedly harboured a variety of security flaws. Most glaring of these, one user insisted, was an alleged failure by the site – …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. g e
    Facepalm

Come 'n 'ave a go if you think y'er 'ard enuff

Did it read like that to anyone else?

They're gonna be offline by the weekend methinks.

1. Anomynous Coward

Re: Come 'n 'ave a go if you think y'er 'ard enuff

Doesn't appear to be online at present.

Still, never mind; I was only visiting to pick up SQL tips.

2. batfastad
      FAIL

Re: Come 'n 'ave a go if you think y'er 'ard enuff

Each page load seems to fire off way too many HTTP requests, so they're probably DDoSing themselves.

2. Robert Carnegie Silver badge
    Joke

What's the point?

If anything you write disappears after a week, you might as well be posting comments under ephemeral articles on a news web site... wait a m

3. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Bozio

Apart from the fact that he reads like an arrogant MBA pseudo-geek who can't remember what side of the Atlantic he's on, I'm betting he wasn't even born when his 'vision' of an online community first went live.

Chatrooms with preset, premoderated topics; comments deleted after a week; 'promised' free of trolls and spam... it's Micronet 800 folks!

1. dotdavid
      FAIL

Re: Bozio

Louise Mensch is a household name in the UK. Leveraging her trendy brand to entice youngsters to a new niche social network should be quite easy, and Menshn should be an enormous success - security hiccups or not.

Wait a minute, did I say Louise Mensch? I was thinking of Lady Gaga. Forget what I said; no-one cares who she is and what she does.

1. NogginTheNog
        WTF?

Re: Louise Mensch - who??

I've never fucking heard of her?!

4. TechnicianJack

Just visited their website. It seems really slow.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Joke

Possibly because it has been taken over by spambots now busily spamming!

1. TechnicianJack

Wouldn't surprise me. Or their servers are connected to a dial up modem.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to menshn.com"

Seems totally unusable. Somebody must have done SQL injection on it and its toy DB is in a death spiral.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to menshn.com"

Yep, still down

1. hplasm
          Devil

Re: "Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to menshn.com"

Oo- it's back- now reports:- "Your browser is too modern- please download IE6 or earlier."

1. Crisp

It's up and down like a whores knickers.

I'll bet it's some combination of the reddit/slashdot thing coupled with the Streisand effect probably with a few /b/tards thrown in for good measure.

1. Crisp

Times a thousand.

1. Rameses Niblick the Third (KKWWMT)

Woo! It's back up! And totally not worth the fucking effort.

Seriously, I've designed better websites by sneezing, that really us the most user unfriendly bollocks I've seen in a long time.

3. JimmyPage Silver badge
      Joke

Oh, the irony

Tory MP has slow website.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The real security problem is -

- how stupid you'd need to be to sign up to this site.

Unless of course, you use a fake ID to sign up and post off-message comments - not that I advocate any such thing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The real security problem is -

Disposable email - Check

Tor Browser - Check

Goastse - Check

Looks like you're all ready to raid :) Who said politics wasn't fun?

6. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Trollface

Little 4 year old Bobby Tables writes his own SQL!

Ok, who puts 'https' into quotes when issuing statements about security?

1. error handler

Re: Little 4 year old Bobby Tables writes his own SQL!

The same people that make quotation mark gestures with their fingers when they're talking.

I believe these people are the 17th group in line for the firing squad when the revolution comes, although I don't have my list handy right now so I can't check.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> 17th group in line for the firing squad

Yep - their last words being, 'I suppose you're going to "shoot me" now'.

2. Craig 12

Luckily for the rest of us, the first in line for the squad are the people who think firing squads for various demographics is a good idea.

1. Fibbles

So, not the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation marketing division then?

2. kissingthecarpet
          Coat

No, the first in line are the people who want to be, or are, in said firing squad.

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge

+ + + RECURSION DETECTED + + + REDO FROM START + + +

1. kissingthecarpet
              Facepalm

I know

I was trying to avoid telegraphing the gag

7. wowfood

politics

You can tell the guy is a politicean. I mean, he continually says that there are no problems despite all the warnings that there are, any time something is found he pounces on it to deny it before its even common knowledge.

Everything he's doing is politics 101.

1. TechnicianJack
      Joke

Re: politics

How can you tell a politician is lying?

Their lips move.

1. Lee Dowling Silver badge

I have an easier way. He's a politician. It's basically something that he perceives to be his job.

I don't particularly care what party they belong to, I have a healthy distrust of anyone who wants to be a politician or refers to themselves as one. It's like the line from The Thin Blue Line about gun ownership. A good enough reason to stop someone becoming a politician should be that they WANT to be one.

1. Dr. Mouse

"A good enough reason to stop someone becoming a politician should be that they WANT to be one."

I agree completely. They are supposed to be there to represent us, the normal people. Yet wanting power makes them abnormal, therefore unsuitable for the role.

I know it's a gross simplification, but IMHO it fits.

2. Vic

> A good enough reason to stop someone becoming a politician should be that they WANT to be one.

Not *entirely*...

A few years back, I was toying with the idea of standing for Parliament. Not because I want to be an MP - I just want rid of the incumbent numbnuts.

Sadly, I live in a "safe seat" area :-(

Vic.

8. batfastad
    Devil

Penshn

Hopefully she's invested her entire penshn. Auto-refreshing the site every minute could be a fine way of liberating some politician's ill gotten gains if they're running it on AWS.

"Politicians are not born, they are excreted" -Marcus Tullius Cicero

9. Jeff 11
    FAIL

Rule number 1 of managing vulnerabilities:

Don't call someone with an exploit on your site a 'snippy geek'.

10. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Flame

A little microcosm of why the UK is where it is today

So, a technical glitch is found with a website, requiring analysis and comment by a technical expert, but instead we have a floor-crossing politician being quoted as the answer ?

How many people, on being rushed to A&E would be happy to see Andrew Lansley scubbed up saying "there is no problem" ?

How about next time the reg needs a political analysis, it asks googles server team ?

11. LinkOfHyrule
    FAIL

WOW

It only took two and half minuets to load the homepage - amazing work guys!

Also, I know finding sensible urls is hard these days but just randomly mashing the keyboard to make up a website name is a bit lame is you ask me!

12. Graham Anderson
    FAIL

Deleted after 7 days?

I'm not sure Theresa May would be very happy having all that communications data deleted before MI5 have a chance to look for any funny business.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More importantly,

why do we need yet another social network?

Google+ is more than enough (or Facebook and Twitter, if you must).

14. Suggy
    FAIL

Unfounded vulnerabilities? I think not

at least 3 people I know notified them of issues. I notified them about the clear text passwords on Friday night. It's documented here http://www.securityg33k.com/blog/?p=595 . You guys decide what's unfounded and what isn't

15. Andy Roid McUser
    FAIL

site down

Has someone been playing with that python Hulk script again ??

1. Andy Roid McUser

Re: site down

Typical, now its back.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge
        FAIL

14:43 it's down again.

I wonder if this hasn't been stolen from a future "In The Thick Of It" script? You can just imagine Malcolm Tucker and his adversary setting up rival social networks...

The icon is for the bozos who set this up.

1. LinkOfHyrule
          Thumb Up

You can just imagine Malcolm Tucker and his adversary setting up rival social networks.

hehehe - Logs on to Twucker.com to post a "twuck"

The only social network where offensive language is #@£*ing mandatory!

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: twucker.com

Pity it isn't a real service. :-( That would be my kind of network.

Might make a summer project out of it. You can't post anything unless you've got two ticks. Fortunately, for really important stuff you can simply leak the information.

2. Crisp
          Coat

So I just left a brick on the F5 key until it loads.

What? That's how you get unresponsive sites to load isn't it?

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

I'm not sure that will even be necessary. It looks like it's PHP + MySQL so, unless there's connection pooling and a good DBA around, max connections will be an issue pretty quickly and someone will need to add a lot of indices by hand if they don't want queries to die the agonising death of file scans.

Ouch, and before anyone asks, this isn't hacking or DoS.

ab -n 1000 -c 10 http://www.menshn.com/

This is ApacheBench, Version 2.3 <$Revision: 655654 $>

Copyright 1996 Adam Twiss, Zeus Technology Ltd, http://www.zeustech.net/

Licensed to The Apache Software Foundation, http://www.apache.org/

Benchmarking www.menshn.com (be patient)

apr_socket_recv: Operation timed out (60)

Total of 33 requests completed

16. Crisp

"Menshn is a safe, clean & secure environment."

Sounds like famous last words! Like a red rag to a script kiddy.

It's like showing an uncrackable safe to a safe cracker.

1. kissingthecarpet
      Go

Re: "Menshn is a safe, clean & secure environment."

Do 4chan/Anon etc. et al know about this stuff. I do hope so.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I can't wait to watch this unfold

I think we need a sweepstakes for how long they will attempt to keep the site running before they give up and go home ... I'm going to be generous and give them a week :D

18. Greg J Preece

Aside from everything else that makes this hilarious, I finally made it to the front page after several minutes, and the featured quote was:

"Hey Louise. Your government is inhumane. Bye!"

1. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

I'm contemplating signing up so I can upvote it.

19. Irongut
    FAIL

Buy British!

Nice to see a UK politician supporting UK industry. Oh wait...

Hosting

OrgName: Media Temple, Inc.

OrgId: MEDIAT-10

Address: 8520 National Blvd.

Address: Building B

City: Culver City

StateProv: CA

PostalCode: 90232

DNS

Domain Discreet Privacy Service

ATTN: menshn.com

12808 Gran Bay Pkwy, West

Jacksonville, FL 32258

US

Registrar Name....: Register.com

Registrar Whois...: whois.register.com

Registrar Homepage: www.register.com

Domain Name: menshn.com

Created on..............: 2012-02-07

Expires on..............: 2013-02-07

Administrative Contact:

Domain Discreet Privacy Service

ATTN: menshn.com

12808 Gran Bay Pkwy, West

Jacksonville, FL 32258

US

1. Peter X
      FAIL

Re: Buy British!

But they're using Media Temple for their unparalleled, rock-solid, reliability. Or... maybe not.

Good to see Luke remembered to put his name on the author meta tag though. That's an important thing to do. Oh, and there's a version meta tag. "1.0 (beta)"... well that's covered. Graphic design is a few years old... did Luke do that too? The rest of the markup is okayish; it's tidy, but too many javascript: hrefs and inline onClick handlers. Clearly coded by an amateur! :D

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge
      FAIL

Re: Buy British!

A special thanks to the EU for another pointless piece of bureaucracy.

Yeah, that safe harbour thing, which prevents the FBI, the CIA, and pretty much anyone with letterhead paper from taking a peep without a warrant at your database is just "another point piece of bureaucracy".

I guess I wouldn't mind if this was just Silicon Roundabout but just like toast falls butter-side down, these fools might be involved in policy making at some point...

Meanwhile from the basement:

4.17 [#/sec] (mean)

The competition must be quaking in their boots.

Dear El Reg, is this going to be the article with the most fails ever?

20. This post has been deleted by its author

21. little
    FAIL

i had to google who she was. menshn i ended up on completly different site, then realised it wasn spelled as german but as retard , got to be the funnies launch of a site that i've noticed

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dispicable

I think that she is a dispicable person who wont make retirement without being caught breaking the law for financial gains. That's what I think. But hey lets rip of twitter and then say we can have mroe chars in our posts which utterly ignores the SMS limitation of twitters foundation.

She's the type of person who would rip of a constituant to line her own pockets, thats what I see and take from this venture of her's. That and she is egotictical - site stands for what ""Moronic Egotistical Neurotic Silly Hangout Now Down ""

23. Keith 21
    FAIL

Luke Bozier?

Oh, you mean this self-professed social media 'expert'?

http://www.lukebozier.com/

Seriously, look at the site. I mean, it tells you everything you need to know about him and his expertise!

24. Visible Otters

Take own name, come up with crap pun, throw website together around it

Based on that premise, here are some other coalition efforts either available now or in development:

TheresaMayzing.com - Whilst this is supposedly an unofficial fansite dedicated to the Home Secretary, the long essays on her greatness regularly slip in to first person, and many of the intimate photos on the site appear to be self portraits taken in front of a bathroom mirror.

tgtp://cablesandwires.com - Vince Cable's attempt at a twitter style site, the USP will be that users are only able to post by telegram.

haveyoubeentotheHague?.com - Personal website of William Hague, which is every bit as disturbing as the name suggests. Fortunately rendered inaccessible by the illegal domain name.

camera-on.gov.uk - Chatroulette style website in which registered users may or may not be being watched by the prime minister through their webcams at any time. Described by a number 10 spokesperson as "A great way of engaging with the electorate, and not at all creepy", participation for all citizens is set to become mandatory as of last April.

(At time of writing Jeremy Hunt was still inviting suggestions for punning website names he could use).

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Up and down - oh its up / down again

Louise Mensch recommended that Facebook and Twitter should be turned off when there may be a riot. Perhaps her site is just practicing?

26. TrishaD
    FAIL

Silly, silly, grasping little people. Mensch is supposed to be representing her constituents, not involving herself in self-aggrandizing nonsense like this. That's her job and it's what she's paid for.

A couple of 'edgy' little twits desperately trying to jump on a technical bandwagon that they dont understand.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ouch

Secure?

The server supports SSL2 (broken), weak 40bit keys and is vulnerable to the BEAST attack.

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=menshn.com

Secure my fucking arse...

1. Slabfondler
      WTF?

Re: Ouch

C is not a passing grade when it comes to site security?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No, not if you're serious about it.

Also if they can't be bothered to secure their SSL setup properly what are the chances they've bothered to hash and salt their users passwords?

1. Slabfondler
          FAIL

I was being rather sarcastic, an A is all that will suffice for security, and even then....one never knows.

28. ColonelClaw
    Paris Hilton

Such modesty

So modest of La Mensch to name an entire social network after hetself.

I was wondering if she would put her money where her mouth is, and take Menshn offline if there was a riot? If so I may go out and start one

Paris, becuase she aint the only fame whore in town

1. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

Re: Such modesty

Should have called it shlml.com

29. VulcanV5
    Paris Hilton

Hard worked MP unfairly slagged off

Give it a rest, you lot.

La Mensch is a hard working and hard at work MP whose own efforts on behalf of (a) her constituents and (b) everyone else here (i.e., the rest of Great Britain + some colonies) are chronicled unfailingly in her own personal up-to-the-minute website.

If you look at what she did yesterday, for example -- nope, sorry, my mistake; if you look at what she did last week -- oh, Gawd, my bad again; if you look what she did a fortnight --sh*t, I'm really screwing this up. Start over: if you look at what she did to earn her Parliamentary salary this month then go to the Top Story on her website to discover that she, er, went on a visit. . .

to a, a. . . care home. . .

61 days ago on May 3rd.

Still. I've been wondering, where she met Bozier.

* Paris. Because she's so-ooo much more worth a menshun.

30. kissingthecarpet
    Black Helicopters

Mensch says she has an anxiety disorder

brought on by taking too many "Class A" drugs years ago - but she won't say which ones.

Not a drama queen or anything like that, then.

Oh look, there's one of those black helicopters that follow me everywhere....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like