back to article US boffins tune into carbon nanotube radio

A team of scientists from the University of Illinois and Northrop Grumman Corp Electronics Systems has succeeded in creating a microscopic functioning radio constructed from carbon nanotubes, Reuters reports. The nanoradio consists of two radio frequency amplifiers, a radio frequency mixer and an audio amplifier, crafted from …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Gavin Grayson

Black Sabbath...

...are a Heavy Metal/Rock outfit - definately not Goth!

2. Ben Mathews
    Coat

Pah...

Whats the point without bluetooth?

3. Bernard Mergendeiler
    Thumb Down

Low tech the hard way

When I was a kid, back in the 50s, I did the same thing with technology which was then at least thirty years old -- a bit of lead ore called "galena" and a fine wire. A tuning coil and capacitor were helpful, but not absolutely necessary.

I'll be impressed when they turn out nanotube tubes (valves, auf Britisch) complete with filament, cathode, control grid, and anode. Screen grid and suppressor grid optional.

4. Peter Fielden-Weston
    Happy

creating a microscopic functioning radio constructed from carbon nanotubes,

Which is powered by three car batteries.

5. oxo
    Unhappy

Not electronics at all

I think you'll find that the "nanotube output transistor" is still waiting to be invented.

6. Sarev
    Happy

That black stuff would also be cool because...

we could finally do the black paint job described of the ship stolen at the Restaurant at the End of the Universe.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fantastic. Now ants can enjoy DAB radio

While the rest of us can get our orders from the Alien Greys without anyone else overhearing. Nice to think the Alien Greys could respect our privacy when the government doesn't.

8. Highlander

Wasn't this reported somewhat earlier?

http://www.geek.com/radio-smaller-than-a-human-hair/

9. Jeff
    Thumb Up

Re: Low tech the hard way

I think you missed the point that it's demonstration- they themselves said this application wasn't interesting. Obviously they still have a way to go, but demonstrating these properties are an important first step.

@oxo- It's not meant for radios or audio application. Think faster and smaller microprocessors that hopefully use less power and breathe more life into Moore's Law.

10. Simon Neill

A microscopic radio?

we just made the worlds smallest radio! but we had to attach this keychain to it so you don't lose it..

11. Steve Foster
    Coat

Presumably the only tunes it'll pick up are...

"Diamonds are Forever", Shirley Bassey

"Diamond Dogs", David Bowie

"Coal Miners Daughter", Loretta Lynn

anything by Neil Diamond, "Carbon 9" or "Carbon Leaf"

etc.

etc.

:p

12. Waldo
    Happy

Re That black stuff would also be cool because... by Sarev

I think you will find that Arthur C Clarke got there first with the Black Monolith ;-)

13. Red Bren
    Coat

Yeah, but...

Can it pick up DAB? Sorry, wrong debate. I'm going.

The Navy Black(tm) leather one please...

14. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

What happens when you combine stem cells and nano tubes?

Since stem cells seem to be able to do anything these days and carbon nanotubes seem to be able to do anything these days I can't wait until someone releases a drink made of stem cells and carbon nanotubes; it should give me super powers. I just wonder how it will taste? Probably like Red Bull.

15. Anonymous John
    Joke

"I've invented a miniature carbon nanotube radio"

"Great!. We can move into smaller premises."

16. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Hypothetical...

Blacker'n'Black evil super stealth aircraft chugging over friendly home base, flies through cloud of partial nanoradios suspended in atmosphere through "natural" forces. Nanoradio + Nanoblackpaint + atmospheric static electricity becomes highly visible complete nano radio transmitter. Bad black bogey brung low by blighty's bitsy boom box bits..

Yes? Maybe? No? Oh, I see....

OK, I think will stay anonymous on this one...

17. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

make it wind mill powered

such low consumption just normal air con moving air about would power it

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

we used to call these …

a fucking crystal set.

19. Alistair

Playing catch-up

I love these "to challenge silicon" stories.

We have been making integrated circuits on silicon chips since the early '70s and technological development had been driven rapidly by massive commercial investment. Those nanotubes are going to have to be very very good indeed to catch up as silicon has a three decade head start.

This topic is closed for new posts.