back to article Samsung to probe Galaxy S III blaze claim

Samsung has confirmed it will investigate claims that its Galaxy S III Android smartphone may be susceptible to overheating, causing damage to the case and the devices within. The Korean giant said it was alerted to the potential problem by online reports and pictures of a heat-damaged S III. It is attempting to get hold of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous John

Apple patent infringement?

See title.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

Re: Apple patent infringement?

This joke is getting old, plus last time it I heard about an iPhone burning, it was caused by a dodgy third party repair.

1. vic 4
        Trollface

Re: This joke is getting old

Yip, just like the ideas they claim patents on

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Apple patent infringement?

Samsung produce another shit phone would be more correct.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

batten down the hatches

Fanboi's field-day is GO GO GO!

3. g e

Assuming it was charging at the time

That would maybe be more of a charger fault for not being current-limited.

Of course it depends what it was actually plugged into at the time, going on the assumption it was, as it could be anything from the official Sammy charger to some hokey non-standard Chinese cheapo USB hub with its own crappy PSU delivering as much current as requested.

1. Keith 17

Re: Assuming it was charging at the time

according to the owner, it wasn't.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"according to the owner, it wasn't."

and the owners never lie?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@AC: The area that burned up isn't related to any charging functionality.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

> @AC: The area that burned up isn't related to any charging functionality.

But what is there? Looking at all of the teardown images on the web it's a bare patch of PCB with no components ... Something smells wrong, and it's not just burning plastic!

1. Anonymous Coward
              Joke

@Pete H: I think you may have confused the MRI scans of some particularly defensive commentards as being teardown images of the Galaxy S3.

Now seriously, look again - there's really some components there.

2. Reading Your E-mail
            Black Helicopters

True, but it has bothered me for a while that you see chargers with higher and higher current outputs. If they shipped this with a beefy enough charger it is possible it could have burnt the tracks. Whatever caused it, it had to have been plugged into something at the time, either the charger or it was tethered.

3. hplasm
            Facepalm

Re: The area that burned up

It doesn't charge via the USB? Pray tell more...

2. Jamie Kitson

> according to the owner, it wasn't.

Rule 1 of support: never trust the user.

1. Fatman

Re: Rule 1 of support:

To paraphrase Dr Gregory House, MD: "Everybody LIES!!!"

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Go on "g e", blame the Chinese.. blame Apple.. blame anyone but Samsung.

It's "Make your Chaebol Proud" day, you might get a (plastic) medal at the end.

4. Thomas 18
    Holmes

The case of the flaming case

Looks like the work of the Crab Apples, the undercover Apple propagandists gang.

1. g e

Re: The case of the flaming case

The 'Bad Apples', surely!

5. Martin Huizing
    Flame

Oh dear!

I just bought one... And it is still summer! Why didn't I buy it in the winter and use it as a hand warmer!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Woot

I must vociferously show my allegiance to the product I chose and start bashing a product I don't own, about an issue that doesn't affect me, and probably won't affect anyone I know as a way of bolstering my own self integrity, self preservation and vindicate the decisions that I have made, that are so obviously more correct than those who have not made the same product decisions that I have.

There, so it's clear. And I will definitely read 5 pages of ad-hoc ramble when it appears here as that sounds like a very good use of my time.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Woot

Yes, like any story to do with smartphones or mobile phones.

7. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Unhappy

Oh Nokia where art thou...

Will my next phone really have to be an iPhone that overheats or can be held wrong or has bloated sync software or a Samsung that overheats or is never updated or manages to have even worse sync software?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Oh Nokia where art thou...

Still plugging away with my E72, sadly it's got to go off today to have its GPS looked at. But if you can get over not wanting lots of apps and current games, and all you want is a robust phone, with robust messaging, robust email and up until now robust mapping and GPS...I'm going to stick with it.

That and it lasts days on a single charge. And I still like a real QWERTY keyboard. (Had a Nokia 5800 and HTC Mozart, touchscreen keypad never did it for me.)

2. Arctic fox
      Happy

Re: Oh Nokia where art thou... Yes I know but look on the bright side.

Whichever one you get it will cost you £500 - £600 pounds and be shiny shiny. -:P

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
        Gimp

Re: Oh Nokia where art thou... Yes I know but look on the bright side.

I see the downvoter has objected to functional Nokias but not to being shiny shiny and expensive.

Difficult to tell he or she is an iFan or a fandroid, but I'm going for iFan.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thought it was well know

That Galaxies started with a Big Bang

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nice try Apple.

Getting REALLY desperate now...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Nice try Apple.

... says the Samsung fanboi AC.

1. g e
        Facepalm

Counters the Apple fanboi, in all probability ;o)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

and quickly countered again by the resident Google Employee.

Why Reg don't you have a double facepalm icon.

10. Jeebus

Is the GS3 Iranian?

11. CraigW

Blaze

That's what qualifies as a 'blaze' now is it? Done much writing for the Sun recently?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Blaze or not

Would you like that on your face?

Going by the iFixit teardown, it seems the microphone literally exploded!

1. g e

Re: Blaze or not

Those marks are almost certainly from sustained high temperature rather than an EXPLOSION!!!! as the case looks melted and the markings aren't as linear as you'd expect from a sudden blast of some sort, looks like soot from smoke not debris/shrapnel from a kaboom moment. Look a lot like the phone was vertical when it happened too as the smoke drifted upwards.

When a semiconductor goes boom it really looks like a tiny (or not so, depending on the component) explosion took place with straight lines radiating out from the centre.

My 2-penn'th, anyway. Been a while siince I fixed any blowedy-uppy gear.

12. Reg. Blank

There doesn't seem to be that many components in that area. Perhaps the (MEMS?) microphone released its white smoke. There are also a few inductors and capacitors near there. I expect either a dodgy microphone or dodgy assembly.

A MEMS mike would be on the power bus with excellent potential for shorting it, unlike an old style condenser mike which has only a whiff of electricity applied

1. ScottME

That is where the microphone sits. I never knew microphones could catch fire.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Microphones don't usually catch fire, but this one of those Samsung innovations we keep hearing about.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Q division?

Is this Bonds new phone, or does it belong to those MI people?

14. PaulR79
    Joke

Apple ploy, iPad proximity destruct code

As the owner mentions owning an iPad I have to wonder if this is some supah sekrit, Apple patented, short range pulse wave bomb. It scans the near area pretending to look for wifi signals but if it detects iPhone beating tech. the bomb goes off.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

Re: Apple ploy, iPad proximity destruct code

The problem happened when the guy was driving his car.

It's just poor manufacturing, nothing to joke about, people can get hurt. I hope it gets throughly investigated, hopefully by an independent lab.

1. g e

Re: Apple ploy, iPad proximity destruct code

I wonder, if you drop the phone on is bottom edge, if it beknackers the mic and could cause this...

Phone on seat or otherwise not in car holder, sudden braking... boof.

Not about to test on mine though you others feel free and let us know!

15. DrXym

It's nowhere near the battery so it looks like a connection was shorted due to a design flaw or because someone plugged in a fault or wet lead.

16. Dave 126 Silver badge

Eeek!

Who knows... the pressure to get a new phone to market might have led to defect getting through QC. On the other hand, Samsung have previously been the victims of a negative 'viral' video (that very thin 'ultra' candybar phone they made a few years back... shown being easily snapped in half- the real one doesn't).

Smoke rising upwards... possibly, but it might have been expanding that way without the phone being vertical.

Certainly, if I had just spent £500 on a new toy and then borked it by using a non-standard charger, I would understand the temptation to claim otherwise. But even so...

If I were in the market for this pricey pub-liability, this incident would not affect my decision either way.

17. g e
    Joke

Sat here waiting for my S3 to explode or do something

Slow day, need some excitement. Bloody thing's just working properly, no smoke, flames or kabooms.

Most disappointing. Well, from the excitement point of view, excellent news from the not-having-to-get-the-bloody-thing-fixed point of view.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sat here waiting for my S3 to explode or do something

who gives a fuck about your day... go post on G+, sniff a few wireless networks, claim to defend the world against oppressive regimes or legally prosecute sites that rip music from youtube videos you don't own. You know, the usual Google stuff you like.

1. g e
        Meh

Whoooa!!!

What an Appleist

Does Xenophobia extend to gadget preference these days? Like I give a toss about what you think anyway.

AC ... AssClown.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Who are you accusing of xenophobia, the US government?

Don't tell me you don't know Google blocks several IP address ranges with a nice "fuck you, but don't blame us" message:

"403. That’s an error.

Your client does not have permission to get URL / from this server. (Client IP address: XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX)

You are accessing this page from a forbidden country. That’s all we know."

Appleist.. LOL quite rich coming from the chief commander of Google's defence team here

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Somebody is really having a bad day, it seems.

Did your iPhone 4 drop an important call?

2. King Jack
        Facepalm

Did you miss the Red Triangle? "Joke Alert" There are more icons than the AC one. Grow a sense of humour. Sheesh!.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Joke

Maybe Gmail ate someone's email again?

3. Doogie1
      Joke

"Sat here waiting for my S3 to explode or do something"

If it's not doing anything, it's either turned off or crashed. All normal for a Samsung!

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Poor guy is getting death threats already

The Stasi would be proud of this group.

19. Big_Boomer Silver badge

Who cares

So one bloody phone melts down.

That's no indication that there is a design fault, possibly a manufacturing fault, but most likely user fault.

As for Apple vs Samsung,... bored bored bored.........

I propose a fanboi ban.

All those who worship a widget (and that is all they are) need a life, preferably somewhere well away from me.

Do yourself a favour and turn your phone off for a week and see how relaxing life can be "off the grid".

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Who cares

It's disingenuous to blame the user for this. Are you claiming the phone burned up because his car was holding it wrong? This is a potential safety issue.

Short of putting a lighter to it new phones shouldn't do this, no matter whose fault it is, and the guy sounds honest in his posts. Since it's a brand new model, unreleased in most of the world, it's useful to keep an eye and figure out what went wrong.

2. Darryl
      Joke

Re: Who cares

I thought only MS and Google did widgets, not Apple

20. LoPath
    Flame

Faulty car charger?

Perhaps a bad or poorly designed car charger? Amazing what 12V with a carpload of current can do to your precious electronics! Everything electronic runs on smoke.... once you let the smoke out they quit working!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Faulty car charger?

1) He stated several times that he wasn't using a charger 2) The affected area has nothing to do with charging.

1. Noel Morgan

2) Are you sure it has nothing to do with charging?

I don't have an S3 but according to this photograph the charging port is right beside where the scorching is.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/347283/20120531/samsung-galaxy-s3-unboxing-gallery-slideshow.htm#page15

Assuming then that it has something to do with the proximity to the charging port I call 1) not using a charger as bull. A bit like the Jimmy Carr episode - if I could get away with paying 1% tax I probably would give it a try, if I thought I could get a replacement phone (or claim) by saying I wasn't using a dodgy charger then I probably would give that a try too.....

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

It has nothing to with charging, google for the iFixit teardown and see for yourself.

There's a microphone there and some smaller electronics.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Just what I was going to say. Looking at the pictures it appears that the heating was external to the phone.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like