back to article Achtung Penguin! SUSE tunes up Linux for SAP

It seems natural enough that SUSE Linux and SAP would be technical allies; both hail from Germany and both try to peddle business-grade software to enterprises. SAP, which has a huge installed base of Windows customers and a considerable number of Unix customers, cannot be seen to be playing favorites with its OS suppliers just …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Antoinette Lacroix
    Headmaster

Errr

What exactly do you mean with "Freiestoffgesellschaft" ? Is it a reference to "free stuff" ?

2. Chemist

@Antoinette Lacroix

Well I read it as "Progress through OSS" although depending which bits you put in Google Translate it can be "Lead-free fuel by company"or "Free social fabric".

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Danke Für Den Versuch

..but "Freiestoffgesellschaft" is a word only one person of on the globe understands - the inventor.

1. Ilgaz

Re: Danke Für Den Versuch

You asked for it ;) http://www.answers.com/topic/blinkenlights

ACHTUNG! ALLES LOOKENSPEEPERS!

Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers!

Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben.

Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken

mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen.

Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das

pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten

4. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Ausserdem

SuSE Linux/Novell have recently been trying to demolish the Linux image of robustness and high software quality. This happened during the timeframe they snuggled up to Microsoft, which might or might not be a coincidence.

Anyway, I am German and I use Ubuntu. The SuSE 11 and 12 experience of some acquaintances were more than enough for me. I did use SuSE 6 (think) more than ten years ago and it was OK then.

1. Chemist

Re: Ausserdem

Well I use 11.4 at the moment on 6 machines and it's rock solid - I always try to stay 1 or two releases behind the most recent. I'm typing this on an Eeepc using 11.4.

5. Antoinette Lacroix
    Meh

Well

as a German, I obviously don't need Google. If you translate it back it's something like Advantage through liberty fabric company.

Maybe they should stop trying to be funny or learn the language.

1. Ilgaz

Re: Well

They are kinda being sarcastic about the "free work" image of Linux developers using the famous advertising slogan which is never translated, used in original form by car company world wide.

You guys really get trolled easily.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

Panzer, Sauerkraut und Blitzkrieg

Thanks for moving your eyeballs here.

Germany is more than SuSE in terms of open source. Think of

GPG - initially funded by the German ministry of the interior

OpenOffice - initially Staroffice and developed in Hamburg

KDE - at least initially a German-heavy project

Schilix - an Open Solaris distribution

1. Ilgaz

So SUSE is free of Novell?

I had great respect to the distribution until Novell and gang of Mono/Icaza got involved.

When did they free themselves? Really interesting that I missed that.

7. Trixr
    Childcatcher

Still (cr)ap

Great - $2K for the OS and extra three digits on top for the poxy software you want to run on it.

8. P. Lee
    Linux

It isn't all about the GUI

openSUSE has (quite rightly) taken a bit of a beating and I think they recognise that and are moving to correct it. I decided to try fedora-17 and ran screaming from it as a desktop system. It wasn't just gnome, KDE worked for a while and then refused to run and kde configuration apps.

Most businesses however are going to run servers and don't care that the sound system needs a tweak to avoid some hiss or that 1600x1200 is the maximum resolution until you install nvidia drivers. What they will care about is the awful iscsi packaging failure in 12.x, though I suspect that's an openSUSE rather than SLES issue. Most of the recent bells and whistles that have proven unstable probably aren't going to appear on your server.

I've tried ubuntu and fedora recently and I still find yast the best configuration system around. You may still have to edit the occasional file, but at least you don't have the "you need a random gui program to configure this with a gui" problem that most distros seem to have. It is nearly all tied together nicely. As you would expect from a German distro, its is all very well organised. :D

CLI people can also benefit in that config files tend not to end up all over the place as seems to happen with ubuntu. That may be just me though.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like