back to article LG shelves future tablet efforts

LG has ceded the tablet arena to Apple. Effectively chucking in the towel, it has put the development of future tablets "on the back burner". So says a company spokesman, Bloomberg reports after probing the South Korean giant for its response to Microsoft's Surface launch. The LG minion said: "We've decided to put all new …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mage Silver badge

Apple's lead in Tablets

It's simple.

The Apple thing only resembles a Tablet. It's an iPad. If it was really a Tablet no-one else would be allowed to make one.

You might as well argue that a Mac is a PC :-)

2. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

The reason LG failed...

is because they released a tablet that had a 3D camera and a 2D display, which was priced @ approximately £700-£800.

SRSLY LG?!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

One less for MS to pound into the dirt

Well that's their grand plan isn't it?

Announce something and sit back a watch as other companies wet themselves trying to get out of their way.

I guess that there will be a patent application for this business method winging its way to the USPTO any day now then.

I really hope that at least a few existing tablet manufacturers have the guts to call MS's bluff. If MS can scare all the comptrition out of the way and then release a piece of dog poo, a good number of CEO's will have a load of egg fried rice on their faces.

1. Gordon 10
      Holmes

Re: One less for MS to pound into the dirt

Some news for you Sherlock. MS surface doesnt scare anyone - its currently vapourware.

The futility of flushing cash down the drain with year after year of zero profits trying to compete on price with a race to the bottom with those with deeper pockets (or more cojones) such as Google, Amazon, Asus, Samsung.

Look at the evidence of everyone elses tablet efforts:

1. HP - broken.

2. RIM - mostly broken.

3. Motorola - swallowed.

4. HTC (profits in free fall).

Oh and even if you have the balls & cash you still have Apple locking you out of the supply chain or buying up the "next good thing techwise" before it even occurs to you to do so.

Need I go on?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not even LG's bigger arch-rival, Samsung, has managed to significantly dent Apple's lead in tablets.

Yes they have....

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2012/06/08/ipad_sales_fall/

5. Admiral Grace Hopper

MS FUD FTW!

The strategy has worked more quickly than one might have expected,

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The problem could be

if you have an Android phone with a 4.6, 4.7 or 5.3in screen do you need a tablet?

If an iPhone user wants a bigger screen there's only one option, an iPad. But if you have an Android phone with a 3.5in screen and want something bigger just upgrade to a One X, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S2 or Note.

I'm guessing the arrival of the new cheaper 7in tablet from Acer and Asus next month will also have an impact because like the Kindle Fire they will be bought as eReaders that also do lots of other stuff.

It's upgrade time for me and I'm not sure what path to follow - a "smaller, cheaper" phone like the Galaxy S Advance and a Nexus 7 or an expensive, larger phone like the One X. Or maybe the Gen 2 Note that's apparently due in October.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like