back to article Mozilla plans multi-engine search results, native iOS browser

Mozilla wants to resume its role as a disruptor in the browser world and has started work on a trio of projects it hopes can help it regain market share. The plans are revealed in a new video* in which Mozilla reveals it has created a Product Design and Strategy team to “identify where we can be the first or the best”. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ole Juul
    Trollface

That's it

I'm going back to Lynx.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Competition perhaps

Multi- search engine results, sounds interesting.

It would make sense that when the results come up on then screen it tells which search engine give which results, but this might upset the apple cart.

Search engine providers, Google and Co I'm looking at you, rely on secret algorithms to give you your results. This is also linked in to advertising.

Imagine how watered down your product would become if each time a search is made your competitors and rivals feature in the search? It does make for competition but at what cost?

Will the Cororations support it, or not?

1. vic 4

Re: Multi- search engine results, sounds interesting

But not new. I used to use one as my home page many years ago (think it was dogpile), I ended up switch to google as after a few months the best results in 95% it returned were from google. Might try going back

2. Petrea Mitchell
      Thumb Up

Multi-engine search?

Old hat. Nice to see Mozilla giving it some high-profile love, but it's been available via Ixquick for years (and Clusty for years before that, before Yippy bought Clusty and destroyed it). There are probably even older examples I haven't heard of.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sorry, nothing compelling there

to make me switch from Opera.

Firefox on the desktop is a one-trick pony and not a very good one at that. It's a bloated memory hog.

1. Wild Bill
      Stop

I just guessed your top Google Alert string

site:forums.theregister.co.uk "web browser" -opera

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: I just guessed your top Google Alert string

It's called RSS, but I'm not suprised a Firefox owner has never heard of it.

1. Wild Bill

Re: I just guessed your top Google Alert string

I 'own' all the browsers actually. I find each one has its own strengths and weaknesses and I use them for different tasks accordingly.

4. Ian Johnston Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Business as usual

Mozilla Prefers Elaborate Roadmaps To Getting What They Have Actually Sodding Working Shock Horror Probe

5. jubtastic1

Here's an idea

Go back to basics, be the slimmest cleanest fastest browser out there, like you were when you launched, make Do Not Track your mantra and nuke all in page advertising and link spam, fund the project entirely on search referrals.

Launch it as a new browser alongside Firefox, but share the codebase so the optimisations flow back to FF for the die hards.

6. S4qFBxkFFg
    Go

“What is the reason you would pick Firefox over Chrome?”

If this is a serious question, it's the ability to override web designers' choices of fonts.

Just give the users what they want, at the expense of all other stakeholders.

1. Ole Juul
      Thumb Up

Just give the users what they want, at the expense of all other stakeholders.

Users! Users! Users! Users! Users! Users! Users!

7. pip25
    Meh

“What is the reason you would pick Firefox over Chrome?”

I don't need much, aside of Firefox not freezing for several seconds after startup. (Not to mention the other freezes that occur occasionally.) A startup time after OS boot that is less than the current ~12 seconds on my i7 CPU would be nice too.

I'm still using Firefox as my main browser, but if I quickly need to check something, I sadly turn to Chrome now. Chrome has its flaws, but it's fast and responsive, at least.

8. Greg J Preece

What is the reason you would pick Firefox over Chrome?

I'm a developer, and FF works better for that than any other browser. Gecko > everything. That's always been my reason, and given how buggy Webkit is (stick your nth-child selector bugs up your highly polished ARSE!) it looks set to stay that way. It also has the best feature set, for my money.

From an end user's perspective, I can see why they'd be using Chrome, aside from the massive advertising campaign. There's no denying that it's bloody quick, and that seems to be the only thing most end users care about.

Personally, if I wasn't using FF, I'd probably be using Opera to be honest. All the speed, similar feature set, none of the bugs (just a couple of its own), and if you turn off Turbo, no dialling home either.

9. PAT MCCLUNG
    Happy

Clerk

Here are the search engines I access from my installed Firefox (12.0) search window..

Why doesn't everybody do this? Really easy. Tell me again about this "search bar"?

Pat McClung

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bing.xml

blekko-ssl.xml

blekko.xml

buycom.xml

compfight.xml

craigslist---google.xml

ebay-uk.xml

google-books.xml

google-code-search.xml

googlecom-unpersonalized--with-results-for-the-last-6-months.xml

googlecom-unpersonalized--with-results-for-the-last-7-days.xml

googlecom-unpersonalized--with-results-indexed-in-the-last-24-hours.xml

googlecom-unpersonalized-.xml

google-earth.xml

google-images.xml

google-maps-nyc.xml

google-movies.xml

google-news-unpersonalized---by-date.xml

google-news-unpersonalized---last-day.xml

google-products-uk.xml

google-scholar.xml

google-translate-bg-en.xml

google-translate-en-bg.xml

google-video-20min.xml

google-video-long.xml

google-video.xml

imdb.xml

mozilla-and-firefox---google-custom-search.xml

newssift.xml

novoseek.xml

robtex.xml

scroogle.xml

wikimapia.xml

wikipedia-eng.xml

wolframalpha.xml

youtube.xml

10. Livinglegend
    Unhappy

When will they ever learn?

We have seen the problems and thousands of complaints when iGoogle introduced a left-hand column.

Mozilla need to get in tune with what users want.

11. Azzy

Lefthand list of search engines sounds like a terrible idea

We don't change our default search engine because it defaults to Google, not because we want to use other search engines but are too lazy/stupid to do so.

Nobody wants more bars on the edges of their browser windows. Hasn't Mozilla noticed that the trend is towards less crap around the edges? From the old days of toolbars, to modern day when it's just tabs and an address bar? IE9 even pushes the address bar up into the tab row (making it awkward to type long URLs, which implies that this is the limit). It also breaks up the division between the browser controls and the page, which has always been, browser at top, below that, it's all page...

I use Firefox when I need the developer features, and when I don't need to watch flash videos (which are currently crashing FF, if you hadn't heard)

12. John A Blackley

Don't clutter up the real estate

would be my advice.

Oh and on that subject, El Reg, please don't accept any more of these intrusive Microsoft Cloud ads featuring androgynous George Takei look-alikes wearing armour and chiffon.

13. frank ly

re. ".. vertical row.."

Many people refer to this as a 'column'.

14. Bucky 2
    Pint

What's hard, here?

I don't know if the answer is so hard. Maybe implementing the obvious answers are difficult.

Like the fact that nested <optgroups> should be cascading menus rather than that stupid-ass thing with the emboldened items in a simple drop-down. The old, abandoned IE/Macintosh used to do it this way. But that was it. What am I missing, here?

Like actually /implementing/ HTML5, rather than giving it lip-service and implementing only the <video> tag.

Perhaps I'm just an old man. I don't want to use a web browser for email, or chatting ("Presence?" WTF?). I want to use individual programs written specifically for those purposes--which can be nimbler when markets/usage changes.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like