back to article HBO 'sorry' for skewering Dubya

HBO has been forced to issue an apology after Game of Thrones' creators admitted a decapitated head - spotted in a scene at the end of the first series of the fantasy show - was actually a replica of ex-president George W Bush. Oops. David Benioff and D.B. Weiss - the chaps behind the big-budget series - explained in the DVD …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. nexsphil

Hilarious

Hilarious that we're so impotent against evil we have to fantasise justice through TV shows

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hilarious

"Hilarious that we're so impotent against evil we have to fantasise justice through TV shows"

Pathetic, that your idea of "evil" is so mundane. If, for example, you had to live under Saddam Hussein's regime, you would have a different view of the matter. But since you have obviously lead a very sheltered life, you can have the stupid thoughts you do.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I'm sure the Iraqi people are so glad to be shot of Saddam. They must be really enjoying the lawlessness, random sectarian attacks, reduced access to education and dismal healthcare since the US lead invasion liberated them.

As for Bush, it's heartening to know that you consider taking a nuclear power to war based on what he knew was false intelligence is just "mundane".

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Sheltered into ignorance and made to believe the tripe we're fed! Don't know much about Saddam's regime, but Libyans had it made for them under Gaddafi until we decided we wanted a piece of his oil pie.

Everyone's lives were heavily subsidised: 50% off all cars for example to any Libyan... newlyweds would receive cash handouts, wannabe farmers were given land, in fact, if you look up the list of benefits the Libyan people received, it's no wonder the only people to rise up against him were a weak minority given massive support anf financial incentive by the Western bankers, who were subsequently given first dibs on new oil deals when "the rebels" took control. THAT fact was even reported in most of our own tabloids. It's all SO in your face if you open your eyes.

The proof that our own Governments are equally bad, if not worse than the countries we deem lesser, or more 'primitive' than ourselves, is all around us and it's as clear as day.

Yes it might be more comfortable to be so ignorant, but who are you kidding?

I wouldn't lose ANY sleep whatsoever if that head on the spike was real and I applaud the guys who say Mandleson, Blair and anyone else in bed with the elite bwankers should also be decapitated. Yes they might be innocent people trapped in a routine with fear, but if they're going to lead the country, they should grow some balls and actually help the people they pretend to work for. Rant over.

3. Old Handle
        Terminator

Mundane evil is the most insidious kind, and thus perhaps the most dangerous.

4. John Bailey
        Facepalm

Just to clarify...

Would that be the Saddam that was put up in a French hotel by the CIA after he botched the assassination of an earlier leader of Iraq?

The Saddam that Britain and America, and many others, sold as many weapons to as possible, while he was gassing Curds?

The Saddam who annihilated the marsh Arabs while the west looked on after promising them help in an uprising?

The Saddam that was being supported by western money and arms while he invaded Iran?

The Saddam who invaded Kuwait only AFTER getting permission from America to stop them pumping the oil out from under his feet?

Or was bit a different one. The west does tend to prop up so many evil dictators, it's hard to keep track.

Saddam was scum. A small town bully who was placed in a position of power. And few will have shed a single tear for his death.

But remember.. If all the Saddams of the world were overthrown, we would have to do our own torturing. And then how could we pretend to take the moral high ground.

1. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
          Headmaster

gassing Curds????

What did the coagulated milk proteins (casein), with or with out rennet or edible acidic substances such as citrus juice or ascetic acid do to offend Soddin Insane?

Although I have to admit that most coagulated milk protein products also give me a bit of gas.

Did you mean Kurds?

1. John Bailey

Yes.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@John Bailey Re: Hilarious

"But remember.. If all the Saddams of the world were overthrown, we would have to do our own torturing. And then how could we pretend to take the moral high ground."

America already lost the high ground on that one.

1. John Bailey
            Unhappy

Re: @John Bailey Hilarious

So did we. So did everybody who turned a blind eye to extraordinary rendition.

5. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: @AC 15:37

My idea of evil is living under a regime where healthcare is limited; free speech is curtailed through seizure of websites; people who blog and tweet are monitored and harassed by the authorities; The people have a facade of a democracy but their votes are very limited to 1 or 2 parties, or subject to vote rigging; protest is actively discouraged and stamped on; enemies of the government are tortured; the government actively threatens other countries with near perpetual war and conflict; oligarchy is rife and a wealthy few control most of the media and pressure government to suppress alternative forms of media; anyone can be abducted by the authorities off the street and be 'disappeared' whether a citizen or foreign national; the people live in a state of fear which drives nationalism, spying and informing on neighbors.

I really hope someday that the American people can be liberated from this totalitarian regime.

2. BillG
      WTF?

Would it have been hilarious to you if they used Obama's head?

If they had, there would be a cry to put them all in jail. And MSNBC and CNN would be doing two-hour specials on political bias in Game of thrones.

2. g e
    Thumb Up

I for one

etc, etc...

'Props' to HBO/GoT FX people!

3. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
    Devil

Prince of Darkness...

...must refer to Karl Rove.

1. Jason Hindle

Re: Prince of Darkness...

Surely Blair!

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/politics/politics-headlines/leveson-protestor-had-sacred-dagger-2012052928841

1. cyborg
        Trollface

In relation to Bush he can only be a Lapdog of Darkness.

2. ian 22

Surely this is a reference to Lucas....

4. Desk Jockey
    Joke

Heads

George RR Martin actually spoke about the heads when he was over in the UK. He appears in the extras to the series a couple of times and really wanted a replica head made of him. Sadly they are very expensive so the answer was no. They were recycling as many heads as they could get their hands on. He didn't mention the Bush head though.

Personally I would have thought a Bush like head leading an army from the sea with no justifyiable claim over Westeros, but conquering it anyway would be a fitting future scene!

5. quarky
    WTF?

Why is he offended?

GoT is more entertaining than the circus that was his time in office..

6. Thomas 18
    Thumb Up

Well I

I find it deeply amusing to see this and find it acceptable, satirical and in very great taste... I am glad this happened and will not be buying any future DVD production if it is removed

1. Ian Michael Gumby
      Paris Hilton

Re: Well I

You give them too much credit.

Seriously if they did it as a Satire, or for some political reasoning, they would have fessed up. The bulk of the Movie industry has and will probably always be left of center. (With a few Republicans tossed in like Arnie.)

Frankly I'm appalled by the political correctness of HBO to issue an apology on this one.

While I'm an independent voter, I could care less if they did put GW's head on a spike.

Looks like too many people have too much free time on their hands to be-itch about something this trivial.

Paris because she's a failed reality TV star. Kim K and family have shown us how to make the most of our 15 min of fame.

1. perlcat
        Black Helicopters

Re: "With a few Republicans tossed in like Arnie"

[tossing Arnie back.]

Y'all can keep him.

2. foo_bar_baz
        FAIL

"I could care less"

*head explodes*

So you actually care, perhaps a lot?

Think about what you're saying. Native speakers' grasp of English is frankly appalling. Perhaps we non natives should send drones to US skies to shoot Hellfire missiles at those committing crimes against the English language. It would only be fair, and probably more fruitful than current US war efforts are.

Must get more coffee.

7. Steve Evans
    Joke

A wooden spike is probably the first solid useful thing to ever exist between Dubya's ears!

8. Jeebus

Not many of them complaining about a christian republican hanging an Obama effigy and calling for the death of gay people though.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/obama-hung-in-effigy-678923

9. DrXym

What's there to be sorry about?

It's some dumb inside joke that probably came about because they needed some prop heads and one bore his resemblance. It's funny to see all the feigned disgust and outrage that it has provoked though.

10. Scott 62

looks more like gadaffi to me?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"looks more like gadaffi to me?"

Hmmm.. Now that you mention it, we never saw Bush & Gadaffi in the same place.

11. aBloke FromEarth
    Coat

Disclaimers

So I guess the "any resemblance to persons living or dead" line doesn't really work?

12. The BigYin

Best place...

...for the war-mongering, religious nutbar.

Is there any room up there for T. Blair, A. Campbell and P. Mandelson heads too?

13. Figgus
    Joke

They could put Obama's head up there, but they would need to extricate it from his ass first.

14. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Who saw it first..

.. and gave them the heads-up (as it were)?

Personally I would have taken the South Park approach: don't apologise, satirise..

15. James Le Cuirot
    Coat

Oh look!

It's the axle of evil!

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Re: Oh look!

I see what you did there!

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

horrified!

> Bush... Rove... Obama... Blair... Campbell... Mandelson...

I can't believe people actually find the hanging or impaling of elected officials funny, humorous, or justified.

In representative governments and societies that have freedom of speech - those people are either direct or indirect representatives for substantial people groups in their nations.

> Not many of them...

There is no "them", there is just "us", otherwise you're a bigot.

Bigotry on any side is just that - bigotry.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: horrified!

You might want to tell them that, because the problem is they don't seem to know it. They are all in the job for power and influence, and ultimately the money that those appointments bring them (not the salaries). What they do once is office is as much or more about lining up those pay cheques for the day they leave office.

There are two sorts of people attracted to politics, the idealists and the power hungry. The idealists never make it far, they aren't willing to throw other people under the bus or do what is asked of them by the others who promptly throw them under the bus as a result. The trouble is that sort of people who run our countries are the people you'd least want to be a leader, they are ruthless and self-interested.

Democracy, as implemented in most countries is a huge con. It affords no more choice or power to the people, certainly it doesn't bring any sort of accountability. It trades on a majority disinterest in politics and an unquestioning loyalty to one party or another regardless of the idiocy of their leadership and nonsense of their policies.

So, it's really not that surprising that many people want to see their heads on a spike. What's more surprising is that there are gullible fools out there who would try to defend them.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Anon> There are two sorts of people attracted to politics, the idealists and the power hungry. The idealists never make it far

Perhaps, there is a contributing factor of so many haters who want to stick their heads on polls.

Anon> Democracy, as implemented in most countries is a huge con.

Democracy is a dangerous game. Nations need to be ruled by law, not whims of large groups of people. When individuals are tolerant of bribery and breaking the law - they still get what they choose.

Anon> It affords no more choice or power to the people

When anyone can get signatures to be elected, that is choice. In other nations, when terrorist organizations take over a government, and hold it hostage by arbitrarily filtering the names who can run for political office, there is no choice. (think: Iran, China, etc.)

Anon> certainly it doesn't bring any sort of accountability.

Balance of power through other government branches, "vote em out of office" bring accountability, and unfettered (but non-biased) media brings accountability. Threats of violence and violence brings thungs into office, who have enough power to protect themselves and suppress the population. Hitler is a prime example.

Anon> It trades on a majority disinterest in politics and an unquestioning loyalty to one party or another regardless of the idiocy of their leadership and nonsense of their policies.

Individuals change that. Former U.S. President G.W. Bush, for example, had people in his cabinet who were both right and left of his positions, they did not offer unquestioning loyalties, yet haters stick his head on a pole. The fact that others (besudes G.W. Bush) were mentioned in posts in horrible ways, pathological haters are clearly not linked to ideology.

Anon> So, it's really not that surprising that many people want to see their heads on a spike.

Humanity demands a different result, a different attitude. Hatred is still hatred.

Some idealists still speak up, even though the haters vote 'em down.

Anonymous, because of pathological haters.

2. The BigYin
      Thumb Down

@1st AC - A democracy does not try to ram laws through that permits state-snooping without judicial oversight.

We no longer live in a true democracy. We live in a plutocracy. You think most MPs are there based on merit? Pfft.

Just looks at the utter rot May is spouting about the new snoop laws. "We can't protect the privacy of paedos you know. PAEDOS PEOPLE! Think of the children!"

1. MJI Silver badge

Worng David time I wonder?

What would have happened if Davies had won rather than Cameron?

3. Lamont Cranston

"representatives for substantial people groups in their nation."

Not so much a substantial volume of the electorate, rather those with substantial amounts of cash.

17. Amonynous

What's the problem? He fits in with all the other <insert your own joke here>s that feature so prominently in the show

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We wish to aplogise that the decapitated head you saw...

... was a fake.

19. perlcat
    Black Helicopters

Much ado about not much.

Long-standing tradition of people hanging leaders in effigy. It's called "free speech". I draw the line at actual violence/mayhem -- but this, even if intended (and I don't think it was) isn't enough to get anyone's dander up, and doesn't distract one bit from what I understand is a very engaging show (don't have a TV -- it insulted my intelligence one time too many). It's just the chattering class doing more chattering. If they do enough of it, they can keep enough of us from talking to each other that we won't notice that we're all being screwed out of our freedom by both political criminal front groups.

As a conservative/libertarian, I have enough problems with Dubya's impact on civil liberties/oversized government during his tenure that I've considered hanging him in effigy myself. For reasons of good taste and that people would get the wrong Idea, I kept the urge under control.

20. John A Blackley

When the Republican party.......

....complains about the rabid, evangelical attack preacher who - daily and to a listener audience of aroun 2 million - broadcasts from Tupalo, MS his bile-filled 'theories' that AIDS is a direct result of homosexuality and nothing else then I'll be prepared to listen to their whinges about what others say.

Until that day (on which, coincidentally, there will be a snowball fight in hell), all I can hear is, "Wack, wack, wack, wack."

21. Framitz

What???

This was no need at all for any apology, it was entertainment and totally appropriate.

22. P. Lee
    Trollface

and good publicity was had by all

see title

23. Furbian
    Stop

"The Prince of Darkness" really is his friend...

.. this chap sprang to mind,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Perle

'Perle acquired the nickname "The Prince of Darkness" '

Richard that is.

Is the reference deliberate?

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

[John Bailey] "The Saddam that Britain and America, and many others, sold as many weapons to as possible, while he was gassing Curds?"

Yikes! What sort of cheese does *that* give you?

25. Great Bu

Anti-Evil Rhetoric

There's a lot of anti-evil rhetoric on this thread which as an evil person myself I find very hurtful and innapropriate.

Still, you'll all be laughing on the other side of your faces when Cthulhu rises*.

*next Tuesday, if I read this ritual right.....

This topic is closed for new posts.