back to article Google co-founders face FTC antitrust grilling

Google co-founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin will be quizzed by antitrust investigators at the US Federal Trade Commission, according to well-placed moles. The web giant's CEO Page and special projects honcho Brin will be questioned in relation to the FTC's inquiry of the company's business practices, anonymous sources told …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. wowfood
    Mushroom

*facedesk*

The reason they are ahead of their rivals is because THEY ARE BETTER

There isn't an anti-trust here, they aren't forcing you to buy a product, they aren't forcing you to use their search engine, and they aren't forcing you to do anything else with them. Everything they do is down to yoru choice.

Hey I know, while you're taking google to court for not pushing the products of their competitors, why don't you take apple stores to court for not selling the sony walkman or windows PCs.

Oh heres a good idea. Why not take Barack Obama to court for not following through with what the republicans promised.

Because doing either of those would make about as much sense.

*faceseks repeatedly*

1. Figgus

Re: *facedesk*

faceseks?

Kinky.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: *facedesk*

Yeah, yeah... Just like MS never forced you to use IE or Media player.

They are used more, that does not mean that they are better. Their business practices, frankly, stink:

Buying up rivals to shut them down

Running services for free to put competitors out of business

Boosting their own products up the search rankings in order to crush competition by making them obscure

Charging for services which were previously free, once others rely upon them

Leeching content of its owners, in order to run their own services

etc.

etc.

etc.

2. Dan Paul
    Flame

Google is just a better mousetrap but FTC is wasting their time.

Google have a better search mousetrap; that's all they have done to warrant this inquisition (in most cases). In SOME cases other search agents provide better results. How many "search agents" do we need? Google, Bing, Ask, Yahoo, Baidu, blah, blah ,blah....ad infinitum. I can't speak for their ads because I don't look at them. That's right, ad's on ANY SEARCH ENGINE might as well be invisible to me.

MORE IMPORTANTLY,

Why does the FTC waste it's time on Google when the wired and wireless telcos are out of control?

Verizon will not live up to it's state and federal contractual obligation to repair it's existing telephone wires but they are not in front of an FTC Witchunt committee. To me that's more important than search agents.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Google is just a better mousetrap but FTC is wasting their time.

"...Why does the FTC waste it's time on Google when the wired and wireless telcos are out of control?..."

Like with the Law Enforcement, they don't clear up all Genocide before starting on serial killers, then murderers, all the way down to someone shoplifting a pack of fags.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. ItsNotMe

Well...if the FTC has the same luck as the FCC...

...the Bobbsey Twins will simply not answer the questions...and the Chocolate Factory will get hit with another mind-numbing USD$25k fine.

Now that ought to make them talk!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like