back to article Silicon Valley Bank lures Brit startups with sacks of cash

US tech-loving bank Silicon Valley has opened its first branch in the UK to offer cash and services to Britain’s IT startups. Silicon Valley Bank has $20bn in assets and will be targeting the tech, life science, private equity and venture capital industries in the UK. Chancellor George Osborne reckoned the bank’s move was “ …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Gordon 10
    Thumb Up

Startups in Silicon Roundabout

Need not apply.

2. Elmer Phud

Who?

"Chancellor George Osborne reckoned the bank’s move was “yet more proof that the UK is fast becoming the technology centre of Europe”."

O.K. Georgie Boy - we remember how tech has been ignored for years and it now takes a U.S. outfit to provide money.

"technology centre of Europe” now tell us what you mean by that.

That man really does talk a load of . . .

1. I think so I am?

Re: Who?

talk a load of . . . He also struggles to do his job properly....... how many of the budget proposals where U turned ? The guy is a plank of the thickest order.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Chancellor George Osborne reckoned the bank’s move was “yet more proof that the UK is fast becoming the technology centre of Europe”.

What a pompous prick. I am actually astounded he didn't know we have always been so, or at least believe it enough to have said such. And the world would have been a better set, not economy-in-a-chasm Europe. That statement is actually condescending to both groups it would have otherwise most interested.

Meh.

4. HP Cynic

Osbourne's rhetoric befouls an otherwise encouraging article!

5. HP Cynic

Osborne's rhetoric befouls an otherwise encouraging article!

6. Tony S
    FAIL

Nothing new

This has been going on for a very long time. I saw a programme on TV last week where they were talking about the Blue Streak and Black Arrow rockets; part of Britain's venture into space in the 50s, 60s and early 70s.

Comment from Wikipedia:

As of 2011, the United Kingdom is the only country to have successfully developed and then abandoned a satellite launch capability. All other countries that have developed such a capability have either retained it through their own space programme or, in the case of France, through its involvement in the Ariane programme.

Politicians don't understand technology of any kind. Not what it is for, what the benefits are, not what it could become. For any of them to try to say that they support it it in any way shape or form is utterly laughable.

7. John H Woods Silver badge

non-technocracy

Absolutely. Makes one wonder if its a short step from a society where there is a lack of social mobility to one that is effectively antimeritocratic.

8. chiller

I dusted off something I invented a few years ago, an 'out of depth meter', and switched it on to see if it is working. You just point it and it whistles loudly if 'out of depth' is detected.

Never sure if it ever worked correctly, what I really need is an expert in their field and George Osbourne so I can calibrate both extremes of the scale accurately.

9. John Styles

SVB = Steve 'Venture's my middle name, no really' Bong

Must be more than a coincidence. Is Mr Bong's middle name Venture, would make his startup incubator's name Bong Ventures particularly appropriate?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like