back to article EU supremes: ISPs don't always have to finger filesharers

The European supreme court has ruled that lower authorities are not compelled to order disclosure of file-sharers' identities by ISPs in civil lawsuits. The decision will hamper the efforts of rights-holder bodies to clamp down on digital copying through the courts. The decision was handed down today in a dispute between …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm posting this anonymously...

...because you're not entitled to know who I am.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Heres to our government

Because you know if given the choice our Gov't will opt for local rules. No other reason for the existence of parliament.

3. Daniel Bennett
    Coat

I'm not posting this anomynously

Because you're entitled not to know who I am.

eh?

Anyway, I'd rather not have Virgin fingering me....

(I mean Virgin Media)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

You just think you are...

...posting anonymously, but obviously you are not.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Not a problem.

If you have nothing to hide you needn't be bothered by ISPs releasing details of your internet usage to law enforcement officials.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Not a problem?

"If you have nothing to hide you needn't be bothered by ISPs releasing details of your internet usage to law enforcement officials."

... until they make a mistake, after which you are well and truly fucked.

7. Law
    Paris Hilton

RE: Not a problem?

Governments and companies, making mistakes you say?! And we are left to deal with the aftermath of said mistakes??? How dare you suggest such a ridiculous thing... good day sir...

..... I SAID GOOD DAY!!!!

8. Colin Millar
    Go

Should be some interesting cases

When different EU countries have different local rules and users in one country buy their interweb from another.

9. Ian

RE: Not a problem.

"If you have nothing to hide you needn't be bothered by ISPs releasing details of your internet usage to law enforcement officials."

Yes because it's not like any of the recording industries lawsuits thus far have been sheer guessing and speculation or anything.

Oh wait no, they've tried to drag hundreds of innocents into the courts thus far. It doesn't matter if you're in the right or wrong. I as an individual can claim to your ISP that you infringed my copyright with nothing more than an easily faked screenshot of your IP as a peer on some made up torrent as evidence if I can get your IP and get all your personal details and do whatever the hell I want with them.

10. Charlie
    Stop

European supreme court?

Jesus Christ, what's with these bloody Americanisms?

It's called the EUROPEAN COURT OF JUSTICE.

While 'supreme court' in lower caps is technically correct, it's extremely irritating. What next, are you going to start calling the House of Lords 'the United Kingdom States Supreme Court'?

This topic is closed for new posts.