back to article Office 365 reaches for the sky with 80,000 seat FAA win

Troubled IT contractor Computer Sciences Corporation (CSC) has won a $91m contract to provide 80,000 employees in the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and US Department of Transportation (DOT) with Office 365. The contract is for one base year's operation for 60,000 FAA staff and 20,000 at the DOT, with an option for six …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Expensive

($91m/80K)/12 = £95 per user per month.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Adrian Coward

Re: Expensive

I'm sure that a significant chunk of that $91M is supporting the legacy system until all users are migrated and providing helpdesk and training functions. What we don't know is how much the FAA was currently paying per user - I'd be surprised if it was under $150/month.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Expensive

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/compare-plans.aspx

$95/user per month... Hah, thats a LOT of margin for CSC on top of the M$ standard pricing...

2. jake Silver badge

Our tax dollars at work.

The mind absolutely boggles ...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Even if the price is for the full 7 years, it's $13.50/user/month. This seems quite high, and after seeing all of the problems that the University of Arizona had with BPOS, and the inability of Microsoft to even come up with a way of migrating from BPOS to Office 365, I can't see this as a good thing.

Looks like DOI finally did something right, both in refusing to move from Lotus Notes to Exchange, and then when they finally did move off of Notes they are moving to Google Apps for Government.

1. Tom 13

Re: moving to Google Apps for Government.

So you aren't on it yet then. We are and the platform sucks. Exchange has a far better calendar system. Basic mail services are okay, but it can't do any of the complicated stuff older non-Google systems could do like dynamically determined mail groups. And Google's insistence that labels are better than folders so you'll use them because we said so system only confuses the hell out of people who think in terms of file folders. And Mail and Calendar are the good parts compared to the rest of the apps.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Googgle Apps

....is a complete crock of sh1te. Been using it on and off for a few years and it's just so far off Office that it's incredible that anyone uses it, apart form schools and clubs.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Enough to make the airways unsafe

Anything associated with Microsucks is enough to bring an industry to it's knees or crash planes - even just using "office".

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hah 'Redmond's facing the prospect of a resurgent open source office-applications' yeah, right. There are a few cash strapped Europeans who cannot afford the price of decent software, but they will soon be back in the Microsoft fold when they have some money again. They always come back. Always.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No They don't

I'm a European, and I could easily afford to buy Office if I wanted to, but I don't...

Even the UK gov is pushing for more Open Source usage... One half decent decision by them!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Open Source usage"

I read that as "Open Sausage"...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Price getting toward what management wants to see.

My math shows that it works out to about $14 per month per user. Not far from what other bids for other big things. CSC also was the prime bidding Google Apps in Los Angeles, that initially seemed to run to $2-$10 per seat per month. Can't imagine that CSC in their FAA bid hadn't learned something from the LA security difficulties. The monthly cost per seat is therefore less than 1% of the direct labor cost.

7. Rufus 2
    FAIL

Securely? Surely you jest

Actually, I'm rather scared that the FAA's documents and data will be in MS's cloud. Security has not been one of their hallmarks. No policy and no amount of training will keep employees from dishing info. I can understand the cloud for smaller businesses, but I would think that for anyone who needs to maintain the least bit of privacy, that security would outweigh the need to save a few bucks. I also want to know how they are going to get their information back if they decide that the public cloud is too expensive, too insecure, etc.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

CSC is fucked

Stuck between an unstoppable force (users) and an immovable object (MSO). You can polish a turd, but it's still a turd and putting CSC's name on it will not change what the MSO (Office365, BPOS, whatever they're calling it this week) solution is.

I know from experience unfortunately.

9. LesboInMansBody
    WTF?

80,000 Employees! Did the FAA buy IBM ?

Excuse my ignorance, but why does the FAA need 80,000 employees. Thats probable two for every commercial jet in the sky. The real story here isn't about MS Office, its about government waste.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 80,000 Employees! Did the FAA buy IBM ?

So you are one of those sm@rt @sses who know the cost of everything but the value of nothing?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like