back to article Prime Minister faces grilling at Leveson Inquiry

Prime Minister David Cameron will appear at the Leveson Inquiry next week. The Chancellor of the Exchequer, George Osborne, Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg, and former Labour PM Gordon Brown will also face a grilling at the media ethics probe. According the inquiry's witness list [PDF], Cameron will be the sole person to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Hardcastle the ancient
    FAIL

Burn the bastards

Now that Blair has taught them the trick they will all evade, half apologise, try to sound contrite and promise to move forward.

Simpler to assume they are lying and get a fresh lot. Vote UKIP next time, I should.

1. ed2020
      Thumb Down

Re: Burn the bastards

Have a down-vote for suggesting people vote UKIP.

Shame really, cos I agreed with the rest of your post!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Now that Blair has taught them the trick

Because politicians before Blair never evaded, half apologised, tried to sound contrite and promised to move forward.

Before Blair, politicians were uniformly paragons of sincerity, integrity, and honesty, just like that swivel-eyed buffoon Nigel Farage probably thinks himself to be. And, yes, this is an ad hominem attack, but only because he deserves it.

2. h4rm0ny

The SUN cover, 06/05/2010.

Didn't the above say enough? I hope they tear strips off him until every politician for years to come remembers it and winces at the very thought of selling their souls to the Murdoch empire.

1. Tom 38

At that point, the choice was between Brown and Cameron. He was our only hope, shame how that turned out.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Only hope?

I voted for the dead-cat quad-copter.

3. Zombie Womble

"He told the inquiry at the time that he had been "sympathetic" towards the proposed deal."

Sympathy: The act of participating in corrupt covert practices that go against the public interest.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sympathy...

... with the Devil?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lie down with dogs

Expect to get fleas

Is anyone else itchy

5. PyLETS
    Mushroom

Pre Net there was little alternative

This is old media we're talking about. You know, the kind which will continue suing ISPs and anyone else in their way concerning their extreme copyright control fetishes until they run out of cash ? The kind of great media organ which could make any politician who wanted their support cum election time to bend over and do their bidding ? The kind which has lost half their circulation and mindshare with it in the last 30 years ?

Run by one bastard who stole his employees pensions before he drowned off the side of his yacht ? Run by another convicted criminal currently doing 6 and a half years jail time ? And the last of these great dinosaurs who presided over phone hacking on an industrial scale ?

The fact that the Levenson enquiry could be held in the first place suggests to me that politicians with enough influence to cause it to occur have had enough of these vermin, and have decided they can manage without their support. Couldn't have happened 20 years ago, it would all have been covered up so that the business of influence between old media and politics could go on as usual.

6. ukgnome
    FAIL

Lets be honest

it is not going to be a grilling.

Dave is going to sit there nodding like the sodding Churchill dog and no one will learn anything.

7. blofse
    Thumb Down

God I hate these enquires.

Generally nothing happens after any of them except a scapegoat is found and slaughtered while all those who were actually involved or were responsible get away with it and the politicians promise they had nothing to do with it.

Politicians and the people involved should have a special exception when giving answers - they use a lie detector so we know they are not supporting perjury. This should only apply to cases where public interest is high and everyone votes to do this. At least that way, I feel we would have some proper justice.

Bah

1. Ted Treen
      Devil

Already there...

"...Politicians and the people involved should have a special exception when giving answers - they use a lie detector so we know they are not supporting perjury..."

There's a simple lie detector that's infallible. If a politician's lips aren't moving and no sound is emanating from them, then they're not lying.

If their lips ARE moving, or sound IS emanating, then they're lying.

Simple as that!

This topic is closed for new posts.