back to article Microsoft backsteps Azure from platform to infrastructure cloud

Microsoft got so excited about its upcoming enhancements to the Windows Azure cloud, due to be divulged in detail tomorrow, that it jumped the gun on its own announcement, perhaps to try to steal a little thunder from cloudy announcements from Oracle and Red Hat. The upshot is that Azure will no longer be just a platform cloud …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Bob Vistakin
    Linux

Hi! I'm Cloudy - it looks like you're trying to install Linux. Would you like some help with that?

Press 1 to install SP8 KnowledgeBase Ultimate Consumer Edition (Simplified)

Press 2 to reboot. You'll be doing this a lot once you're on Linux under our toy software.

Press 3 to order superglue for your eyelids ready for when Metro arrives

Press 4 to Get the Facts on why Linux is so bad for you.

Press 5 to order a £5 watch which keeps a better calendar than azure.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hi! I'm Cloudy - it looks like you're trying to install Linux......

Hi! I'm The Voice of Reality - it looks like you're Bob Vistakin trying to be clever. Would you like some help with that?

Press 1 to link to a 10 year old register article that nobody has cared about for ooohhh, around 9 years.

Press 2 to order a new keyboard after typing an article about Winphone 7

Press 3 to view a description of the term 'unhinged troller'

Press 4 to finally admit that Linux on the desktop has, err, failed

Press 5 to order a £5 watch which is probably all you can afford on your student grant

1. eulampios

@the voice of reality

>>10 year old register article that nobody has cared about for ooohhh, around 9 years.

Do you mean 5 year old zdnet article? What kind of hash function do you apply to your "reality"?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Hi! I'm Cloudy - it looks like you're trying to install Linux......

Or...

6) Just grow up Bob, this is getting tired. I might listen to you if you sounded like it was possible for your mind to be changed on subjects, but it's all polorised X is bad, Y is good, no areas of gray...

1. eulampios

Hi! I'm Cloudy - it looks like you're using IE that lacks a spell-checker

Press 7 if you misspell the word "polarized" so that I install Firefox with the appropriate spell-checker.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Windows

Finally a smart move again...

I think MS is finally doing something smart again for a change. The Azure environment in its previous form was IMO majorly overpriced. Especially in comparison with already existing solutions.

But since they have the means for virtualization I think its a very smart move to start providing instances of Window server. If you can't trust Microsoft to provide a solid Windows environment, then who can you?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Finally a smart move again...

"If you can't trust Microsoft to provide a solid Windows environment, then who can you?"

USE THE JOKE ICON !!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Windows

@AC

It doesn't even matter how much truth that statement holds or doesn't.

Fact of the matter is that such an approach is bound to appear with the high brass of companies which already use lots of MS based solutions. As such it would mean more revenue for MS.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nooo...

MS are doing what the linux zelots have been asking for, for years and embracing Linux. Quick, change your opinions slightly so you can still hate them and slag them off. Or use non-sequitur arguments to deflect from what they're doing...

1. eulampios

Re: Nooo...

>>MS are doing what the linux zelots have been asking for, for years and embracing Linux.

Perhaps you mean "zealots"?

The "zealots", as you put it, might only ask Microsoft not to strangle them with the said embrace.

4. Britt Johnston
    Gimp

Mit Basic in den Mac App Store

According to Heise you can easily port Real Basic programmes as applets, too.

http://www.heise.de/ct/inhalt/2012/13/176/

Who needs anything more?

(Aside: The title of the German article displays the state of linguistic decay in the IT area).

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like