back to article HP gets smart on storage with workload-aware caching

HP says its Gen 8 ProLiant servers use real-time analysis to build "the future of converged storage". But what does it mean? Gen 8 ProLiant servers include workload-aware intelligent caching for virtualised and non-virtualised environments. The server's Smart Storage analyses different types of workload data and dynamically …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Nate Amsden

give me ssd write caching on 3par!

read caching on the hosts won't do shit for me with a 90% write workload!

I also like compellent's approach of raid 1 on write (regardless of the underlying RAID configuration).

1. Nate Amsden

Re: give me ssd write caching on 3par!

to clarify more - not looking for ssd write caching from the server side I want it on the array side.

1. IO-IO
        Trollface

By default any write is comitted to array cache.

With adaptive caching a 90% write workload would use 90% of the 3par cache which is already better than any other systems with fixed read/write cache sizes.

You could also use AO with the "default" tier being on SSD - this would give you the performance you want and would push cold data down to lesser FC or NL (or both) tiers.

Array cache is always faster than SSD anyway, just need enough disk to destage fast enough.

1. Ausstorageguy
          WTF?

"With adaptive caching a 90% write workload would use 90% of the 3par cache which is already better than any other systems with fixed read/write cache sizes."

You are aware that there are a great number of storage arrays which the DRAM based cache to accomodate higher and lower read/write workloads and some that also cache read and writes in the flash based cache as well.

Aus Storage Guy.

2. Lorddraco

Similar to EMC VFCache concept

This definitely sound very similar to EMC VFCache technology. Except this only work on Proliant and 3PAR.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Similar to EMC VFCache concept

You're right, it sounds like a better version of VFCache as EMC FAST is poor in comparison to Adaptive Optimisation, EMC arrays are inflexible compared to 3PAR arrays, and HP has >50% server market share so understands servers better than EMC which has 0% server market share! Combine this with things like the Flat SAN announcement and you could have a seriously speedy integrated (ie. not complex) infrastructure - or you could have EMC storage, someone else's SAN and someone else's server and try and make it all work! Be lucky.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Really?

So, pretty much what Dell announced 4 months ago with "cachcading" when they launched their latest range of servers.

Did anyone ask HP why they are 4 months late?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like