back to article Microsoft expands Xbox extras

Microsoft took to E3 this week to bolster its claims that its gaming console performs as a complete entertainment hub with the announcement of two products: Xbox SmartGlass and Xbox Music. The company clearly agrees with Nintendo that a second display interface is the way forward for its games console, although its new mobile …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. James 51

I want to be able to store MP3/MP4 files I have generated on the Xbox HDD. Have they got round to that?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Errm

Wasn't Sony doing this with the PSP back in 2007? You could use the PSP as a rearview mirror in a couple of racing games. But is was a fad. So i'm guessing it's still mostly a fad.

The PS Vista can also act as a PS3 controller, meaning it also does everything the Wii-U does.

Yes again, both Nintendo and Microsoft playing catchup by copying what Sony is upto. cheapskating on their own development costs. (and before the braindead jump in, Nintendo copied Sony on the WiiMote, not the other way around, and Microsoft copied the PS2 EyeToy with Kinect).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Errm

I will give you Microsoft copying the concept of the eyeToy, even though Kinect is way more powerful and developed, although I'm not sure how you get the idea that Nintendo copied the Move, since both Sony and Nintendo claim that work on the Move and Wii respectively began in 2001.

It makes it difficult to say who copied whom. However, though Sony seem to be coming out with great ideas that, lets say for the sake of argument, everyone wants to copy, they clearly suck at the implementation of those ideas since the Wii is better than the Move and hit the market first, and the Kinect is far better than the eyetoy.

Maybe Sony should just sell their ideas?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Eyetoy? The first example of gesture input control via camera I worked on was in 1987. This who copied who business is usually nonsense. At that time, pre-mainstream-internet there weren't the same opportunities for the levels of hubris exhibited by companies and some individuals nowadays. Nor was patenting the obvious regarded as acceptable behaviour. Anyone who has worked in the business knows loads of ideas floating around, the trick is excellent execution,

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The first Move prototypes were shown in public in 2001, but there were closed door presentations in 1999.

Nintendo started copying it about 2004.

Sony's fault was to hold it back until it worked, rather than rushing unfinished shit out and then expecting consumers to pay again, something that both Microsoft and Nintendo have been guilty of this gen (WiiMotion+ and working XBox360 mk5).

Of course the braindead gamers reward these companies even though they have been royally fucked over a barrel by them, and it's always Sony that the the bad guys, doing devilish things like only launching their products when ready....

1. pabc

erm, my XBox360 mk1 is stil going strong thank you very much. I think I've had value for money rather than "royally fucked over a barrel by them"

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

£230 of Xbox Live fees is not value for money. That would have bought you a proper next-gen console in todays money.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: the braindead gamers

that would presumably be everyone but you, so clever you only play on ps3. (I suppose taking a game home and waiting half an hour for it to install and update itself is part of the fun for you. I'm so braindead I don't even enjoy that bit!) God, it must be difficult being so clever when everyone around you is so stupid!!!

1. Miek
            Trollface

Re: the braindead gamers

At least the PS3 can browse websites and doesn't have a wonky controller.

2. Roger B

I don't really want to jump into one of those who did what first arguments, but I seem to remember it was possible to plug a Gameboy Advance into a Gamecube for a Zelda title or two and before that the VMU on the Dreamcast provided an extra screen, although tiny, for a couple of titles.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

How do these things recruit such dedicated followers? Apple v Microsoft v Linux, Sony v Microsoft v Nintendo v Sega, Apple v Android, HTC v Samsung v Sony, BBC B v Spectrum V C64, sharp stick v mammoth shinbone, etc etc

3. Surur
    WTF?

Article misses the cross-platform point

This article completely misses whats exciting about the announcement - The service will use your existing second screens, be that iPads, iPod touches, Windows Phones, Android tablets, whatever.

That makes it immediately accessible to the 50% of people who use smartphones. Its not confined to the 2% who own Windows Phones.

4. lokanadam
    Thumb Up

smart glass is a device independent

smart glass :

1. device independent [ works on android, ios, wp7, wp8, w8, wrt ,etc]

2. it is not a readmade app: it is rather a platform that devs can creatively capitalize on

3. for example:

a tv remote

a game controller

a keyboard to browse menus and internet [IE]

a companion for tv shows, movies, games and music.

a mouse / keyboard [both] with tv being the monitor and xbox being CPU

5. Christopher Rogers

I just want my Zune subscription available on my Android devices.

6. MJI Silver badge

Who cares who was first?

I reckon that's Barry Shitpeas AICMFP.

Wii and Move developed independantly, different techniques, similar results.

Eyetoy was first but was not very powerful, OK for Lemmings. Natal has depth perception, PS Eye doesn't on its own but does with Move (the glowing ball). Move & Wiiiii have buttons.

I thought at first Smart Glass stupid idea - very few Windows phones, but then Android & IOS mentioned, good idea. As to the idea - first one I have seen was Dreamcast VMU, I have connected PSP to PS3 but not as a rear view mirror (supposedly on GT5).

WiiU is not a ripoff but again independantly done like the PSV PS3 link.

They all have ideas - there is little ripping off, just be thankfull the 3 main games companies are working to improve.

I am not a fan of paying for online, but people who want to - why should they not do if they want to.

7. iGoto

Wonder if we'll get a unified subscription as well?

Probably won't happen but I could see a tiered subscription model incorporating XBL Gold, Gold+Music, Gold+Music+Films etc.. I think combining the subscriptions of XBL & Zune would give more people an incentive to purchase both (assuming you'd get some discount), rather than having them as standalone services.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like