back to article Google Plus plus Meebo equals Google minus $100m

Google is set to acquire website widget maker Meebo for a reported price tag of $100m (£64.8m) in a clear move to drum up interest in Google+, the ad giant's flagging social network. Meebo confirmed the planned takeover in a blog post on Sunday. The cloud-based upstart makes a button bar that, among other things, appears on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Charlie Clark Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Google+, the ad giant's flagging social network.

Can you please stop thinking of Google+ as a social network. Having it as the backbone of nearly ubiquitous Google profiles makes it both more and less, depending on what you want from it, than that. Anyone with a Google Play account for their Android device has such a profile. There is value in just that for both Google and users.

More insightful analysis into the role of the gatekeepers and identity traders such as Google and Facebook instead of simply repeating trite sound bites would be appreciated.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh, that thing?

Where websites suddenly sprout "toolbars" that eat window real estate, obscure the content I came looking for, eat cycles, and then turn out to refuse to turn the darn things off? Because, oh, my browser window isn't full screen all the time and hey my screen is only 1024 pixels wide so any off buttons just happen to lie right outside the window, and without scrollbar are so effectively unreachable? Those "features"?

Or the same thing but that only pops in until after you've scrolled down a bit? Or maybe those things that pop in at the end of an article "go read this too"?

I hate them. All of them. They get blocked any way I can. Along with moving anything that isn't the main focus of the page. Foo, ads that don't move are obnoxious enough. That stuff is so much worse.

So why yes, plunk a hundred million on new ways to hate on your users, google. I've given up on you as a search engine exactly because all that "helpful" javascript that tries to outguess me. Like trying to talk to someone who never lets you end a sentence. That's what the google experience is these days. These guys fit right into that. Good call.

1. Simple Si
      Meh

Re: Oh, that thing?

You can turn of the auto-complete/instant suggestions here:-

http://www.google.com/preferences

...but, then again, you may not want Google tracking your search history and could be blocking use of cookies or do not have a Google profile to log into.

But I agree, I'm not a fan of installing browser toolbars either!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It's not an install

2. Hieronymus Howerd
      Pint

We should hang out more.

3. quartzie

Thanks mate,

I finally know what this Meebo buzzword was all about.

3. Emo
    Alert

It said: "With the Meebo team’s expertise in social publisher tools, we believe they will be a great fit with the Google Plus team."

I'm amazed the word 'synergy' wasn't used.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Won't someone think of the Cookies!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

g+ is not flagging.

" flagging social network." says who, it's very vibrant where I am.. Sounds like you have rubbish circles.

Obviously g+ also has private circles, so it's impossible to measure churn.

Still why let all that get in the way of a story. You have to wonder if the writers here have facebook stock, and what el-reg ethics policy is with regards to this and other conflicts of interest..

Does el reg even publish their editorial ethics policy? If not, then why not.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Facepalm

Re: g+ is not flagging.

"You have to wonder if the writers here have facebook stock..."

No, but I am forced to wonder if you're an utter n00b around here. You haven't noticed the dripping sarcasm that anything Facebum related gets laced with and the recent "make hay while the sun shines" gleeful reporting of the fallout from Zuckerbitch's IPO then?

It's more a matter of catering to an audience that would appear to be generally of the opinion that Social Networks are aimed fairly and squarely at retarded sheep.....

2. Colin Millar
      Alert

Still - when they will be able to buy FB next week for the change that they find down the back of the sofa you have to wonder why they are bothering.

3. Ian Johnston Silver badge
      Thumb Down

Yeah, and the OS/2 world is still around too and looking very active to the few people in it.

6. Mage Silver badge

Google Facebook Gatekeepers?

If Google took over Facebook we could have more free time. No need to build and maintain pesky websites. We would all use our Walls in Circles covered with FaceGoo.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

#&%^& #@ Google+

I was trying yesterday to post a review for a store on Google Maps and what do you think, Google asks me to join G+ just to be able to do that.

Well, the review went on YellowPages and G+ can stuff it.

Just to make sure I am not accused of supporting FB: I cancelled my FB account a few months ago.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like