back to article Ultrabooks adopt Chipzilla's vPro

Intel has shown off kit galore using the third generation of its Core-i-series PC silicon in Australia, but used the press event at which it did so the emphasise that the new kit is imbued with its vPro management toolkit it aims at enterprise customers with fleets of PCs. The inclusion of vPro in the new silicon makes it …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Another day another ultra book that no one can afford.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

For business grade

...these aren't that overpriced. If these really are business grade, of course, is the question. IMHE that has more to do with overall durability and reliability... not arbitrary feature check marks like VPro or fingerprint scanners.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

14" screen? No word on resolution?

It's probably shit.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Maybe so, maybe not

At least this one might be ok

http://lifebook.ts.fujitsu.com/products/boundless-mobility/lifebook-p772.html

"Anti-glare display, 16:10 aspect ratio, DisplayPort, ScrollWheel, Full HD webcam and port replicator "

However, I shudder to think how much it will cost and won't a lot of these devices be put in the shade when 'retina' display devices hit the market? We know that Samsung (and Apple) are working on them.

3. Anonymous Dutch Coward
    Alien

Ultrabook: for consumers or business

Now I'm totally confused.

Ultrabooks were conceived by Intel, this Ozzie Intel lady says. The "security vector" is not something consumer Ultrabooks will have (whatever a security vector is... sounds like a disease).

However, the article earlier says Intel's vpro is used in business oriented Ultrabooks, like Fujitsu's and Lenovo's models. Afterwards it reinforces this by describing them to be business-oriented (fingerprint readers and such.

Presumably the "security vector" would be important for business ultrabooks, right?

So, why was this lady talking about consumer ultrabooks when presenting business-oriented chipsets and models? Why did she not mention the security features for the business Ultrabooks?

Perhaps this mixed message sending is normal though, or I misunderstood the article...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ultrabook: for consumers or business

No misunderstanding when I read it... "[new widget is all things to all people and can shit rainbows]"

True story*, marketing people actually talk like that over breakfast.

; )

* OK, OK... not really a true story but pretty close. Might have been brunch.

1. Anonymous Dutch Coward
        Happy

Re: Ultrabook: for consumers or business

Thanks for confirming that this time it's not me ;)

Wonder though - is it your or the missus that's in marketing (SCNR) ;)

4. Adair Silver badge

Alternatively...

I wander into meeting, join others round the table, put phone on table for wireless/nfc link (or into universal dock if we must), wireless keyboard is available if needed (but I may have one of those lovely folding one's that used to be around, and some were really quite good), when the time comes my phone takes over the presentation display on the wall, I do my stuff, get standing ovation, job done, we all leave for lunch.

Now what's so hard about that? All the tech already exists; where's the imagination to do stuff?

Instead we get more of the same, just a bit thinner, a bit crappier, a bit more/less expensive; even though there are opportunities going begging.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So that's why 1.8Ghz ultrabooks aren't selling

No local desktop virtualisation!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like