back to article Britain's military techies honoured with new combat IT awards

Military techies have been honoured for the first time in an awards ceremony for British soldiers that provide the IT infrastructure necessary to modern warfare and peacekeeping missions. Three members of the Royal Corps of Signals were honoured at the event, hosted by London's Worshipful Company of Information Technologists, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Big Brother

A good job done in a bad cause.

I'm ambivalent on all of this.

At least it's not the Tony Blair Medal of Truth and Freedom.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Oh

In a few years Tony Blair will probably be given the Nobel Peace Prize, I mean why not, they gave one to Obama?

1. Chris Miller

Re: Oh

"Political satire became obsolete when Henry Kissinger was awarded the [1973] Nobel Peace Prize" - Tom Lehrer

1. pewpie
          Flame

Re: Oh

Mind if I have a go?...

Headline could equally read:

Same job as you do - but we kill brown people instead of consulting them for fucking useless tech support.

Oh the funk of spin, propoganda and pedestals for hired fucking killers. How it sickens me so..

2. dotdavid
    Go

"Details on the unnamed Special Forces tech-aoldier's achievements were undisclosed."

He worked on jailbreaking SAS soldiers' iPhones.

1. Arctic fox
      Happy

"He worked on jailbreaking SAS soldiers' iPhones."

..................whilst under heavy shelling from Cupertino.

3. Ross K Silver badge
    Mushroom

All Was Going Well Until...

...I saw "HR" mentioned in the article.

The only uses for a HR department in a war zone would be as a human shield, or checking for mines.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pfft, not that tough..

They've obviously not met my bloody users...

Seriously though, tough job, tough environment and all credit to them.

Knew a bloke who went to Afghanistan to do network stuff for Signals. Was a sodding miracle they could make phone calls without getting electrocuted, let alone get access to network resources given his abilities but there must be people out there who are capable and doing a great job in v.difficult and dangerous circumstances.

5. Unicornpiss
    Pint

I'll bet they don't have to do DR rehearsals

Every day for them is disaster recovery.

1. koolholio

Re: I'll bet they don't have to do DR rehearsals

You're joking... theres no time to do rehearsals... what do you think this is? a performance of cats? the lion king?

6. Danny 14

Iraq one we had to rewire a signals landrover with single core cable as it was all we had and it was our only working 353, we paralleled our 351 batteries to keep that and the tuams going. That was fun (i'll remember the registration number - 27KK30 - till the day I die). Not much fun in 50C with no BV, took a full day. Pretty much our job though. Only other fun thing was a yank tank putting a patio door through a wall that was part of a CP crushing another land rover. sunray was not best pleased. Field stripping tuams and rewinding is not the best fun in the world.

1. Gordon 10

What's a tuam?

1. Tom 12

TUAAM (Tuning Unit Automatic Antenna Matching)

7. Dropper

Update Facebook Status

I can see it now.. "No don't waste time with a medic, just send over Jeff to check the wifi so I can update my Facebook status to "I've been shot.."

8. Alan Firminger

1 I have total respect for the UK all ranks, and none for the people that sent and equipped them.

2 Can someone explain please why they don't use satellite 'phones accessing a server out of area.

1. koolholio
      Stop

There are some hard working civies in teams ya know?... but there were too many chiefs and not enough indians in my experience.

Its all a cost cutting exercise... you get basic vitals, not luxuries (unless you're american)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Simple, no money, on first an second tours in Iraq we had to share body armour, poor weaponary in the SA 80 which didnt like sand, in the Balkans radio equipment was out do date and after the Falklands the problem was cheap boots.

In Afganistan, no helicopters, and poor vehicles.

The real problem, and the main problem though, Politicians... They are responsible above all else for these failings because they didn't spend the money.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Secure version of Google Earth

Is the one the rest of us use insecure?

Should we worry?

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: Secure version of Google Earth

Can you access their version ? Hopefully not.

Can they access yours ? Obviously yes.

So, in that sense, our version is insecure.

Should we worry ? Why ? Is anything in your life actually dependent on Google Earth ? I don't think so.

1. koolholio
        WTF?

Re: Secure version of Google Earth

Can they access yours? No, unless you're paranoid and not good with choosing decent antivirus tools... and nothing will change your mind...

gupdate is insecure, yet CESG has probably mandated that certain things must not be operational unless it can be controlled. (logical theory)

10. koolholio
    WTF?

Secure version of Google Earth?

I've never heard of a secure version of Google Earth that hasnt caused gupdate to have a fit...

Just like the problems that oracle has....

I'm sure JPA also has simillar 'HR' issues --- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joint_Personnel_Administration

11. tkioz
    Thumb Up

It's good to see "support" personal recognised, my grandfather only got his "combat" medal for his work in the Malay Emergency because his base came under direct attack and he was handed a gun (he was an army cook), never mind the fact the base had been shelled and under sniper fire for months, if it hadn't been for that one day he'd have never been recognized by the government and wouldn't have been entitled to benefits.

So it's good to see attitudes changing, if slowly.

12. Dave Bell

Only in Britain...

We Brits do some strange things. The ancient Livery Companies of London have increased to include Information Technologists, who carry on the old tradition of giving awards to notable military personnel for their deeds, though Nelson tended to get swords rather than certificates.

And then the mobile bell-tower leading the Thames Pageant was manned by IT workers...

13. MonkeyBot

"...asked not to be named."

Please tell me the guy who didn't want to be named isn't the one standing on the right of the photo.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

hairdryers ?

" It took many hours of work with hairdryers to get the whole thing going again "

15. localzuk Silver badge

Should try working in an inner-city school doing the same thing... At least they don't have their own users actively trying to destroy their systems...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like