back to article French court: YouTube has done 'enough' to avoid copyright liability

The Tribunal de Grande Instance said that Google had made enough of an effort to remove copyrighted content that had been uploaded by YouTube users which the biggest TV company in France held rights for when told about the material's existence. The efforts made were sufficient to remove Google from liability for that …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Benjamin 4

I really wish all these people would stop whining about copyright and just fix their business model. Believe me, I'd much rather buy a dvd, but when they cost £20 and often don't have all the episodes I want available what do you expect me to do?

1. Jeebus

Download it like a normal person. I just got 1000GB SSL for £30 at Astraweb, better for me as I go ages without downloading anything so a monthly subscription doesn't work as well.

Great deal, it's still up there as well.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Blubster
    Coat

@sharing is stealing

Pity you think like that, I was going to offer you half of my ham sandwich - don't think I'll bother now.

4. yoinkster
    WTF?

"EU law protects service providers from liability for material that they neither create nor monitor but simply store or pass on to users of their service."

Remind me again, what does The Pirate Bay do exactly?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Pirate Bay - OK I'll bite

Youtube's declared position on copyright infringement is if you point it out they'll remove it. The law gives them protection from liability so long as they support copyright in that manner.

And Pirate Bay don't make that proviso...

1. Criminny Rickets
        WTF?

Re: Pirate Bay - OK I'll bite

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Pirate Bay just post links, not the actual content? Which means it should be up to the sites that host the actual content to remove it, not Pirate Bay.

That is the reason Megaupload went down, they hosted the actual copyrighted content. The sites that linked to Megaupload weren't taken down.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"EU law protects service providers from liability for material that they neither create nor monitor but simply store or pass on to users of their service."

As long as they remove copyrighted content at the request of the copyright holder or their agent in a reasonable time frame

AFAIK TPB wouldn't/didn't

6. Dylan Fahey
    Pirate

Why

Why would anyone download any french TV anyways? I fart in your general dfirection!

1. heyrick Silver badge

Re: Why

Umm... French people, perhaps?

Hate to break it to you, but big swathes of the internet, plus some pretty cool and innovative stuff (okay, that part wouldn't be French telly....) is not in English.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Why @ heyrick

I think that his point was not so much that the people speak French on French TV, but that -French people are speaking- on French TV.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why

I was about to make a comment about here in Canada, French shows are more risqe than English shows, but them I remembered watching the UK version of Skins on one of our cable channels. Easy to see why the MTV version bombed.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Reality to soon catch up with French courts

Wait until the Frogs see the millions of copyright lawsuits they will now be forced to adjudicate. Then when reality bites them in the arse they will change their POV on copyright infringement and Net filters, etc. They deserve exactly what they get for being so apathetic.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like