back to article Google aiming to buy dot-lol cyberland, and not just for the lulz of it

Google has revealed it is jockeying for a variety of top-level domains (TLDs) including .lol and .google. The ad giant went public with its plans on Thursday after ICANN's deadline passed for applications for new web address extensions. The search engine behemoth has applied for TLDs that include .youtube, .google and .lol, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. The BigYin
    Joke

Sympathy Card

So this friend-of-a-friend...are you trying to tell us you are super-chums with Rebecca Brooks?

2. Omgwtfbbqtime
    Trollface

Is .wtf still available?

EOM

3. dotdavid
    Thumb Up

Personally...

I'd like to register http://dot.dot

1. Graham Marsden
      Coat

Re: Personally...

Not .dash?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

>> for example, Google might choose to use it for online comedy channels

I just don't understand this domain name frenzy - I come to almost all websites either (a) via a search (generally quicker/more reliable to google Google's LOL channel than to type in what I remember of the address and probably land on some domain squatter instead) or (b) via an existing link/bookmark.

The evolution of browser interfaces emphasises this: originally there was just a URL field and searching was done by entering a search engine address, then a toolbar widget was added for a search dialog popup, then at last FireFox added the separate non-modal search field, and then Chrome merged the fields together, with the URL generally showing you where you are not what you're asking for.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: >> for example, Google might choose to use it for online comedy channels

...though as a belated thought, I guess owning the whole domain and having them bloody expensive addresses domain squatting. But using FF or Chrome after I've been to LOL a couple of times whatever actual address it has will become the top match when I start typing anyway. And if I tell my mate at the pub "hey check out dot-LOL" he'll probably bollix it up and try just "LOL" or "dotlol" and then either auto-search will save him or the browser will merrily suffix .com and send him back to a squatter.

So nope, doesn't seem like a cash cow. But then I'm the guy who sneered at the idea of "collectable phone cards" back in the day as being something nobody would fall for...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

xxx

A mate of mine tried to register xxx.xxx but was beaten to it - as was xxxx.xxx and xxxxx.xxx

he gave up after that

I think he ended up with puppies.xxx

Lord only knows why, he doesn't even like dogs

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Re: xxx

He may not like dogs... but he *likes* dogs.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Personally I'd go for .wtf; that seems to have greater potential. El Reg could have a sub-site devoted entirely to its more incredulous observations - theregister.wtf. And you have lots of opportunities for subdomains, including with the aforementioned lol - lol.wtf... omg.lol.wtf/bbq ...

dotdavid is onto something to, of course; you could do variations as well. dot.dot.slash/dotslash/dot ... that'll keep the neophytes at bay.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Google; shame ? LOL

That is all.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Ulster says LOL!

Growing up in 'Norn Iron', I always associated LOL with the po-faced, bowler hat & sash wearing Orangemen, of 12th July marching fame. They have the acronym emblazoned on their sashes, banners, drums [and possibly underpants] –where it stands for 'Loyal Orange Lodge'.

The sight of ranks of possibly the most miserable, pinch-mouthed, taciturn folk on the planet, marching grim-faced through the streets, festooned in LOLs is a masterpiece of visual irony.

9. Neoc

Google moving into online games?

LoL => League of Legends

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like