back to article LucasArts unveils Star Wars game for grown-ups

LucasArts announced its latest videogame this week, Star Wars 1313, which pushes the franchise towards a more mature audience with its proposed 18-certificate rating. The game - announced through Spike's Game Trailers TV Show last night - is said to be a third person action adventure set in a ruthless criminal underworld on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Where's my Tie Fighter

I want an updated version of Tie Fighter or X-Wing, with all new pretty-pretty graphics, and lots of things to blow up.

1. Mike Brown

Re: Where's my Tie Fighter

this isnt the game im looking for. id rather have tie fighter too. but 1313 looks like it might be ok

2. Severen

"an updated version of Tie Fighter or X-Wing"...?

How about an updated version of Tie Fighter V X-Wing? Now that would be ideal. :-)

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I definitely agree. Are you listening George?*

* (I know the answer is almost certainly no)

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Star Wars

Getting to the end of its sell by date.....

2. eJ2095

Yup

Milk that cashcow

1. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

Re: Yup

I've never understood why people seem to think that selling a product, which you created because there's a demand, is somehow an evil thing.

Seriously - is ATI 'milking the cash cow' by continuing to make more and more video cards? Should they have stopped with the x1900pro because people liked it so much? How about Ferrari - they made one car people bought, but since then they've just been *milking the cash cow* by making all these different Ferraris! What bastards!

Sigh.

(Also - why are games in the Reg Hardware section? I mean, they're ware, but they're not *hard*. Well, except for Battletoads. That was freaking impossible.)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The reason many of us believe that Lucasarse are milking the franchise is because, despite the potential, too many of the derivative games are quite simply themed crap, and they repeatedly snatch defeat from the jaws of victory by issuing yet another Star Wars POS game. If they produced decent games (or mostly decent, even) there wouldn't be this carping.

To take your Ferrari example, imagine after the first few brillant models, they went downhill, and eventually the name ended up as just a trim badge on somebody else's cheap tin box. That's what we're talking about with the Star Wars gaming franchise, and the real world motoring example is Ghia. In the UK, people only now know of Ghia as a trim badge on a Ford Focus that indicates "I am elderly, infirm of mind, but have slightly more money than I know how to spend properly". Few have even considered that Ghia once designed and built fabulous cars themselves.

BTW, this car anorakery now justifies the original article in the Hardware section.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Yeah, but you're describing would be terrible no matter whether the company made any money. It's not about the money, it's about the quality of the product. The cow really has nothing to do with it.

But, then again, if tons of people buy the stuff, it's obviously not a lousy product *to them*. And clearly, tons of people *are* buying it.

So that comes down to, "This company is making something I don't like". And why not? Because it doesn't meet the expectations created by the experience of the original. Basically my point: People don't like it because it's new. Sometimes it's really because it's crap, but a lot of the time it's really because it's new - and in either case, 'cash cow' really has nothing to do with it, since Lucas was milking that sucker the moment it hit theaters.

Just because you liked the way his hands felt on your udders then, but don't now, doesn't mean he wasn't milking the whole time.

Damn, that's a disturbing mental image.

3. Greg J Preece

Ah, so now even Star Wars has succumbed to the modern trend of "dark and gritty". Let me guess; the protagonist will be a broody miserable shite, overly vicious, with a troubled past.

Oh, wait. Force Unleashed. Yeah...

1. quarky

Hasn't Star Wars always been gritty?

1. Anomynous Coward

"Hasn't Star Wars always been gritty?"

Grittish. Charred skeletons and bar fights at the start but never followed through the incest storyline.

2. Tom 13

Not really.

Back when Han shot first the sets were clean and sparse. And despite the arm on the floor, the bar fight was reasonably clean even by 70s standards, which were much cleaner than what we see these days - sort of what a friend once described to me as suburban white man graffiti. Even Empire wasn't gritty, just filmed mostly in dark shades but still clean.

The gritty crap was all CGI shite added when Lucas had the money to re-imagine the film. And don't get me started on the additional damage done by the Jabba the Hut scene. Sometimes great movies are great because of the constraints placed on them at the time they were made. In this case, Lucas focused much more on the story when he didn't have the money for the CGI.

4. Omgwtfbbqtime
    Alert

Don't care

... so long as I get to beat JarJar to a bloody pulp.

Repeatedly.

5. MikeyD85
    Facepalm

Yawn

GoW: Star Wars Edition

1. dogged

Re: Yawn

Caution: contains brown. And only brown.

6. Toastan Buttar
    WTF?

An adults-only game

Based on a kiddies-only movie series. Yeah, that'll work.

1. JEDIDIAH
      Linux

Re: An adults-only game

Before it jumped the shark with the prequels it appealed to a wide range of age groups.

Perhaps you are simply too young to have seen it for yourself.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: An adults-only game

Rule 34

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

so is she going to strip?

Leia, Iloveyousomuch

Jab in the hut

8. SpaMster
    Meh

Sounds like Mass Effect to me

1. Boothy

Well Mass Effect was basically just a re-skinned and updated Knights of the Old Republic.

i.e. The developers knew the game was good, but Lucas Arts are idiots and canned the KotOR series, so lets set it in a different universe and replace the force with, hmm, now what shall we call it....

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"cover based"

ooo how I love those convenient chest high walls... I'll pass.

10. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Ehhhh...

"The focus will be on fast-paced action, cover-based combat and playable cinematic gameplay"

Isn't that a bit like a song that has a focus on jungle bongo drums, heavy synth riffs, and an orchestral chorus orchestra?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ehhhh...

Indeed, the second two tend to negate the first. I detect quick time events in coming.

11. Andy Fletcher

18+ is a pretty smart move

Activision did this with Modern Warefare 2, and all subsequent CODs. There's nothing more tempting to a 12 year old than an 18 certificate.

12. TheWhiteIdea

Sounds like...

They have tried to lift a version of the BH storyline which is so epic from SWTOR and make it into it's own game...

We'll just have to wait and see how it turns out.

13. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Flame

"I don't know. Fanwank something!"

"Star Wars 1313 dives into a part of the Star Wars mythos that we've always known existed, but never had a chance to visit"

I hate this kind of marketroid talk. It's not as if "Star Wars Universe" had some independent existence or (like mathematics or an actual world) had "areas to uncover/visit" because there is no requirement to be consistent in anything.

They should just admit that "We made random stuff up so we could sell you something. Enjoy!"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "I don't know. Fanwank something!"

"They should just admit that "We made random stuff up so we could sell you something. Enjoy!""

That's pretty much all film, music, television, sports (whose premises are made up), games, and... well, anything else creative, by definition. I agree that it's marketing-speak, but if you're not allowed to use any in-context references for creative work, the whole world's gonna be full of things saying, "We made some shit! Try it!"

Granted, my web site (on which I have my own music) just says, "I write music, here it is", with links. But I'm kinda strange.

2. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: We made random stuff up

The point about the "Star Wars universe" is that on this occasion they largely *haven't* made stuff up. All the cultural back-drop has simply been cut-n-pasted over from other Star Wars games.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like