back to article Orange unveils Intel Atom smartphone

Intel's first real threat to ARM will arrive in the UK next week in the form of the Orange San Diego smartphone. It's not the first Intel smartphone on the market - Lenovo has literally just shipped that handset, the LePhone K800, in China this week. Exactly like the K800, the 4in Orange handset sports a 1.6GHz 'Medfield ' …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ummm

So being ATOM, these X86 based? So theoretically could Windows run on it?

1. Captain Scarlet
      Devil

Re: Ummm

No reason why not just needs drivers but for the love of god why would you want to!!!

...Actually I am now tempted

2. LarsG

Another

phone that Orange can fill with crapware and spoil before they sell it to the masses.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"most android apps"... :S

3. a_been
    FAIL

'It has an on-board ARM emulator to allow it to run most Android apps'

I can't help wondering how much Intel is paying Orange and why anyone would buy this instead of a same speced ARM version which will have a longer battery life because it wont be running a software emulator.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 'It has an on-board ARM emulator to allow it to run most Android apps'

Because the majority of people don't know or care about the difference between arm and x86; as far as they're concerned they're all equal, cores and clock cycles are all that matter.

Ideally you'd need to be lobotomised to employ a more expensive, more power hungry chip to emulate a perfectly good processor in its own right. But hey-ho.

1. farizzle
        Thumb Up

+1 for the most amusing use of the word 'lobotomised' today :D

2. Captain Scarlet

I think they are gambling it will be a hit like with their Windows CE Phones many years ago which I must admit I did get an Orange branded one wasn't bad kit but CE for a phone was MEH!

4. thomas k.

nice looking kit

I must say, that's a pretty smart-looking, erm, smartphone.

Can it run Linux, you think?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ZTE?

Other reports seem to suggest it's built by Gigabyte, since ZTE have done an HTC and decided to risk own-brand phones.

6. Giles Jones Gold badge

This is a non-starter for so many reasons.

1. ARM works. It is efficient and powerful enough for a phone.

2. Consumers don't care what CPU is in a phone. They care about battery life and performance. With Intel Atom you get a little more performance with much less battery life.

3. ARM is the one big contribution to the mobile tech world the UK has made. Intel want to control this market.

Stick with ARM, stick with a British success story!

7. Arctic fox

Well, the battery life *may* not be as pony as past experience with Intel would suggest.

Anandtech did a review of the Lava Xolo X900 (running Android and using an emulator for the apps) and althought the battery in that phone was rather small the "normalised" battery life figures suggested that Medfield based phones would likely be reasonably competitive. We'll just have to see what this offering from Orange actually delivers when RegH takes a hands on look at it.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5770/lava-xolo-x900-review-the-first-intel-medfield-phone/1

8. RonWheeler

competition is a good thing

Intel entering the field will help keep the prices down and improve performance due to competition, And it gives manufacturers a bargaining chip against ARM. I doubt Intel's early offerings will be suitable for competing with the high end Tegra phones just yet, but early indications of the few other early Atom phones seem to show them as 'good enough' as low to mid rangers, even on battery life.

9. jason 7
    Meh

The word 'kludge'

springs to mind.

They should be selling these for £50 as a market/tech tester.

10. GitMeMyShootinIrons

Interesting, but would I buy one?

Answer - not yet.

It'll be interesting to see how this early iteration goes. In particular with respect to real-world user experience on battery life, apps compatibility and performance.

It'll be interesting to see what the more hardcore geeks will try with it - Who will be the first to load up a copy of an x86 Linux flavour, or even (Hells Bells!) a copy of XP?

1. Arctic fox
      Happy

Re: Interesting, but would I buy one?

"copy of an x86 Linux flavour, or even (Hells Bells!) a copy of XP"

Why not? It would give all of us a great deal of harmless entertainment!

11. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Off-topic

"It has an on-board ARM emulator to allow it to run most Android apps on its x86 processor."

Intel have managed to bludgeon an Atom enough to make it emulate ARM in a phone, but oddly enough Microsoft wouldn't (I'm not going to say couldn't) make an ARM emulate an x86 in a tablet.

And this is one of the many reasons why Win8 will fail.

1. Paul Shirley

Re: Off-topic

On Android the heavy lifting like rendering and media playback is in native code that Intel will have simply compiled to native x86. The Dalvik VM will also be written in native x86. Most of the time the emulator won't be doing anything.

It's only when ARM native support libs ship with apps the emulator will get used. They're typically demanding apps - games for instance. Quality of the emulator will only matter when it most needs to be good. If they got it wrong Atom phones will condemn themselves to the low end where Intel simply cant compete on price with ARM.

Looking forward to seeing real test results on the emulator. Split feelings though, much as I despise Intel an effective emulation will make life much simpler for app devs, who wont need to ship native x86 support with apps.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Emulation? Really?

" It has an on-board ARM emulator to allow it to run most Android apps on its x86 processor."

Sure it's not just using an x86 version of Android that Intel have been pumping out for many months. Of course are Android apps are not bytecode, they don't care about architecture...

The only thing developers would care about, is if they used the Android native code NDK, they would have to pack the apk's with x86 and ARM binary blobs.

13. asdf
    Thumb Up

wow kudos

Once again having more money than god and the best manufacturing facilities in the industry helps Intel. You know how much engineering it would take to make the x86 dog of an instruction set competitive with ARM in mobile? If Intel succeeds it will be very much in spite of the dog shit not even good for the 1970s x86 instruction set.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like