back to article Samsung Galaxy S III

Samsung's Galaxy S III is one of the most feature-stuffed smartphones yet. Well, at least there’s room, as it's equipped a 4.8in screen. Samsung's Galaxy Note 5.3in tablet-phone aside, this handset touts the largest display you'll find on a mainstream mobile and it packs a quad-core CPU too. Samsung Galaxy S III Android …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yawn

Wake me up when it runs Windows Phone 7.5. Nobody is interested in another run of the mill android phone

1. Bodhi

Re: Yawn

That will be why no-one has pre-ordered it I'm guessing?

2. Lee Dowling Silver badge

Yeah. That's why this is the third outing of this particular phone (not to mention the Galaxy Ace and other deviations that aren't included in the "III" numbering scheme).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Yawn @Lee Dowling

You nail it on the head, Samsung is on attempt number 6 and they still failed. Since they are paying MS to use Android, they should just go the whole hog and stick a good OS on their phones at the same time.

1. Bodhi

Again the AC makes a very good point, cosying up to MS has made Nokia the darling of the mobile phone industry, selling more phones than they can build. I was late for work this morning due to the queues to get into Merry Hill P4U to pick up a Nokia Lumia.

I feared this article was going to make me regret picking up an Xperia S a couple of months ago, but not a bit of it. Now I realise I should have got a Lumia, it's what all the cool kids are doing! Although all these cool kids do appear to be in Reading. I still can't figure out why.

2. Jedit Silver badge
          FAIL

"Samsung is on attempt number 6 and they still failed"

Exactly. Samsung have put out their third revision of the most popular smartphone on the market and are still somehow failing - I say "somehow" because I don't know how they are failing. So they should switch to Windows Phone, which is now on attempt number 7 and still most definitely failing to acquire a market share.

Troll Score: 0/10. Or should that be 0 out of 7?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: "Samsung is on attempt number 6 and they still failed"

(I know... feeding the troll...)

Third revision you say...? Still a few more to catch up with the fruity one...

1. sam 16

Re: "Samsung is on attempt number 6 and they still failed"

I got trolled really badly on this thread actually.

After not reading the reg for a while, I took the comments seriusly.

"What a turn around for MS, people actually buying thier phones"

"And for Samsung too, I though they were gonna be the new apple'

"Oh...wait..."

3. David Simpson 1
          FAIL

IF they use a good OS then why would they use something from Microsoft ? Make sense !

3. Eponymous Cowherd
      Thumb Down

Well, there's always this lovely Batman edition Lumia 900

And at only £100 more than the Galaxy S III, its a real bargain to boot. Certainly not run-of-the-mill and you will get many "admiring" glances and comments** as passers-by notice the striking "Batman" logo and cool Batman wallpaper.

** If you consider someone rolling their eyes and muttering "w**ker" to be "admiring".....

4. Robot

If "nobody" for the S3 means 9 million, then "somebody" for WP7 must mean the entire world population.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Only 90% in the review, with all the blurb comming out about this phone I thought it would be more!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I was expecting 85%, seems to be the norm for reviews on here.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If

If you strap one on each foot.... You have a pair of snow shoes!

1. John Sanders
        Coat

The Samsung note then

Makes a nice snow skating board...

Me heads for the mountains now with the note.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: The Samsung note then

What's a snow skating board?

7. h4rm0ny

"Wake me up when it runs Windows Phone 7.5. Nobody is interested in another run of the mill android phone"

I assume you're trolling. In fact I know you're trolling. But you wouldn't want WP7 on this. I have a Lumia 710 and it works quickly enough with its single-core processor. Quad-core phones are for Android which wnats that processor capacity. WP7 simply doesn't use it. A phone like this would be absurd overkill for it.

1. M Gale

Xperia Arc S owner.

Runs smoothly, occasional pause if I'm taking the piss out of it, but otherwise a solid phone.

Single core by the way. Android. It's also gone from 2.2 to 2.3 to 4.0, even if the last update needed awful bloatware installed on a computer with its own Internet connection to work.

Would ya like to try re-thinking the "needs a quad core" statement? Only things I see "needing" multi-core and heavy duty GPUs are things like 3D buildings in Google Maps/Earth, and certain games. Maybe multicore would help if you're the type to have umpteen highly-active badly-programmed widgets on each home screen, but even then that's less of a load than you think. Even my Mum's el cheapo Galaxy Y runs at a nice pace, and that's a "free on contract" bog standard basic thing with an 832Mhz processor.

Not sure where the "needs a supercomputer" myth came from, unless it's from people using really shit 600mhz ARM11 things running Cupcake or Donut. Those things really do need a kick up the arse.

8. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You really are a boring shite.

2. Anonymous IV
    Thumb Down

Send in the cavilry

"There are cavils from critics who complain that it uses Pentile Amoled instead of the newer Super Amoled Plus technology..."

Gosh, yes, certainly I will complain - at that sentence's pretentiousness!

3. Chris 2

Camera sensor

I thought there was a new sensor? It's the same size, pixel-wise, but seems to be a better chip, and also has back-side illumination now. Which I assume is good.

Going to have to go and play with this one before thinking about buying. First impression is that I'd rather stick with my Note for now and wait for the (surely inevitable?) sequel, but I'm sorely tempted by the S3 the more I see of it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Re: Camera sensor

My backside doesn't need illuminating, the sun shines out of it :)

1. Chris 2

Re: Camera sensor

but, is that good? Is it better than the (presumably) old-fashioned front-bottom illumination?

I'm not sure I even understand what I'm asking now.

4. Jim Coleman
    FAIL

Quad Core?

Is Android so bloated that it needs a quad core CPU?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coffee/keyboard

Re: Quad Core?

Is Android so bloated that it needs a quad core CPU?

That's rich coming from a Microsoft fanboy.

1. Jim Coleman
        Meh

"That's rich coming from a Microsoft fanboy."

Are you referring to the fact that Microsoft's current mobile OS runs "Fast and Fluid" one a single core? Oh no you can't be, 'cos that would make your retort all wrong. So I have no idea what you're talking about, sorry.

1. Avatar of They
          Thumb Down

Winpho runs fine on a single core because Microsoft won't let you do anything with it, it doesn't need extra umph because there is nothing on it and when Winpho get 10000 apps that use extra umph, like Dead space, Mass effect 3 or shadow gun, you will be regretting that it isn't single core. However if mine sweeper, solitaire and some god awful in house apps they have written are your bag, then a single core is fine.

Want to put a background on your front page? No.

Want to remove some of the stupid icons / hubs, tiles or whatever MS PR call them, completely from your front screen? No.

Want to develop your own apps and put them on when and where you want? Without MS saying yes? No.

Nokia the "darling of the mobile phone industry"... Eh, what? When? Struggling monolithic, and desperate more like.

The galaxy's only short coming is the plastic case. Not sure I trust that over an aluminium one.

1. Jim Coleman
            Meh

"Winpho runs fine on a single core because Microsoft won't let you do anything with it"

Funnily enough they let me do anything I want

"it doesn't need extra umph because there is nothing on it"

There are 136 apps on mine...

"...and when Winpho get 10000 apps that use extra umph, like Dead space, Mass effect 3 or shadow gun, you will be regretting that it isn't single core."

Well I'm running plenty of great games so I'll wait for that to happen I guess, lol

"Want to put a background on your front page? No."

No I don't. The start screen is covered with live tiles, there's no need for a background, it would just clutter things up.

"Want to remove some of the stupid icons / hubs, tiles or whatever MS PR call them, completely from your front screen? No."

I can remove any/all live tiles that I want to.

"Want to develop your own apps and put them on when and where you want? Without MS saying yes? No."

I don't develop apps so will leave that for someone else to answer. All the apps I want are in the marketplace.

"The galaxy's only short coming is the plastic case. Not sure I trust that over an aluminium one."

I'd say having a mobile OS that needs four CPU cores is a bit of a shortcoming. Hurts now that the shoe is on the other foot, doesn't it?

1. Anonymous Coward
              Trollface

"There are 136 apps on mine..."

Wow! Did you win a prize for getting the entire WP app library onto your phone?

1. sabroni Silver badge

the original question was "Is Android so bloated that it needs a quad core CPU?".

It's more likely it's because it's badly written, not because it's bloated. If it was because of bloat it'd need a load of memory not extra cores.

But then, writing something that works well on multiple cores is trickier than writing something that works well on one, so it can't be that badly written, can it?

So why does a phone OS need quad cores? Does anyone have anything sensible to contribute rather than just trying to shift the discussion to another OS? I'm interested in knowing why Android needs that much power, what is it doing that needs it?

Oh, but in the spirit of the discussion, iPhone OS is rubbish!

1. djack

The question isn't does Android need quad core, looking at many other devices, it quite clearly does not.

The point is that it *can use* four cores. That means that you have the option of having several other tasks running in the background without impacting the core system.

1. Jim Coleman
                    Pint

"...you have the option of having several other tasks running in the background without impacting the core system."

Never had that problem, TBH. I seem to be able to have Tunein Radio streaming away, content synching with the cloud, live tiles updating themselves, all happening in the background while I surf the net, and no UI slowdown at all. On a single core. Ah well. Works for me. *shrug*

2. sabroni Silver badge

>>looking at many other devices, it quite clearly does not.<<

Doesn't it? I've got an android phone (sony xperia play) and it definitely struggles at times. Not so badly that you think it's crashed, but so badly that you press something twice because you don't think the first press has registered.

The boy's Monte Carlo is apparently getting slower and slower. We got it for christmas, he's just been telling me he writes his texts then puts the phone down for a minute while the screen catches up, checks his message then sends...

So while you can argue android doesn't need quad core, it seems that there are definitely phones out there that are running android that are under specced for it.

1. Anonymous Coward
                      Anonymous Coward

I too have a play, the slow downs are due to Sony bloatware, I'm running CM9 RC0 (Ice Cream Sandwhich FXP 121 kernel). It runs smoothly and I have around 60-70 applications installed, Hotmail push email, SMS Backup & Restore, 3G Watchdog, Facebook, Google+, Llama, BTFon, BeWeather, CoPilot, etc...

The Sony based roms out there tend to suffer from lag and with that many applications you are always fighting for memory (Sony's beta ICS build was horrific for it).

I've also found the phone works a lot better when you have 100mb's free in application storage, if you get below that lag starts appearing so moving applications accross to the SD card helps alot.

Considering Sony have cancelled the ICS release for the Play I was toying with getting an S3 next year

2. Dr. P

Well it may not need it now but it opens up possibilities for the next generation of apps. If you remember Bill Gates once asked why would anyone need more than 640kb. Well clearly more memory has vastly improved the applications you can run. The same is true for mobiles.

1. Danny 14
                    Stop

My S2 rarely uses its second core but it does work in heavy games. Never noticed a slow down to be honest.

I'd love to see how you store movies, music, random crap on your winpho though. I think I have upwards of 26gb now on mine (spread between internal and the 32gb uSD). You still cannot sync multiple exchange accounts to the winpho. Odd that android and iphones let you do this. Pretty much a no brainer for sysadmins really. MS answer is to use OWA. Peachy huh? I must admit at last they let you have multiple calendars for the single exchange account. Thats nice considering again it has been on android since 1.6 and iphones.

Cant say i'd swap my s2 for a winpho. I see you're a fan of tunein pro - me too! Try copying a file over the network, stream and play a game at the same time. I typically play PES2012 for a few minutes when i'm copying TV episodes (whilst listening to rocky FM). The lumia 900 in the office borked when trying to multitask this way.

Whilst the lumia 900 and winpho 7.5 might look nice, its pretty much all knickers no action TBH.

1. willyeckaslike
                      WTF?

"You still cannot sync multiple exchange accounts to the winpho"

Erm, yes you can... got 3 sync'd on mine...

2. Tinker Tailor Soldier
            Headmaster

WinPho 7.5 runs on a single core because its based on the WinCE kernel which doesn't do SMP. Android, based on Linux, does, so it uses them. This really says nothing about how WELL each one uses them or if they are required.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Facepalm

"...So I have no idea what you're talking about, sorry..."

Never used MS Office, or Vista / Win7 then? Lucky you!

"...Microsoft's current mobile OS runs "Fast and Fluid" ..."

Yeah, like diarrhea.

1. Jim Coleman
            Meh

"Never used MS Office, or Vista / Win7 then? Lucky you!"

All the time but NOT ON MY PHONE, I think you're confusing mobile OSs with PC software.

"Yeah, like diarrhea."

Ah, insults, last refuge of the weak.

2. Montreal Sean

So that's what WinPhone7 users mean when they say their phones are the shit!

Thanks for enlightening me. :)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Are you so fat that you need TWO legs? Let's cut one off.

3. Kyoraki
      Thumb Down

In short, no. Browse down a bit and read the HTC One V review. Same hardware as your beloved WinPho7 devices, just as smooth as the quad core blowers. Difference being, it can't play 1080p video or play HD console quality games like the quads.

4. zanto
      Thumb Up

Re: Is Android so bloated that it needs a quad core CPU?

nope, it works just fine on my milestone which, last time i checked was a single core. and i should know because i worked on the 3430.

of course you can but dream about swapping sd cards, copying and playing movies of just about any available format etc. you could also argue that you see no need for this and so convince yourself that all is hunky-dory, and you would be correct in this. whatever rocks your boat son, be happy with it.

having said that, i am surprised to see that microsoft has not managed to make major inroads into the corporate environment. assuming they can have better integration with office viewers and better support for displaying and modifying office documents, i would expect them to own this segment.

5. David Simpson 1
      FAIL

It doesn't need a quad core my single core Desire HD runs ICS perfectly, it has a quad core because Samsung make CPUs so can afford to use their latest model at cost - it's called economics.

5. The Axe

100%?

What's kicked it back from 100%. Or does RegHard never give 100%?

1. Silverburn

Re: 100%?

Gimmicky apps, a less than expected 8mb camera, small annoyances here and there. I thought 90% about right.

1. Jim Coleman
        Meh

I've been saying for some time now that The Register never rate any phone less than 75% or more than 90%

2. Miek

Not to mention the cheap plastic case. Personally I like HTC's aluminium/rubberised approach.

1. Chris 2

"cheap plastic case" - they're using the exact same material as HTC are for the One X, just with a gloss rather than matt finish.

Personally I don't like the rubbery feeling HTC used to use, but it's just horses for coconuts.

Bloke brought one of these into the office this afternoon having found the last shop in town with any in stock. It feels really, really nice in the hand. I'm very impressed, and even more tempted than I was before. It's weird, because it's apparently heavier than the One X (just), but there's definitely something in the ergonomic claims Samsung have been making. It really somehow feels a lot thinner and lighter than it actually is - but still solid.

I like it a lot.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Trollface

It is missing the NoWin or Apple brand. Is there any other reason why this phone only has 15% more than the stillborn Lumia 900?

3. zanto
      Pint

that's reserved for the version that runs on the dual-krait processors.

wait for the Sony Xperia GX SO-04D, or try and source a SIII from across the pond where it comes with the qualcomm S4 processor.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Eyes's glinting

What happens when one wears shades ?

Also what happens when I light a ciggy putting my phone down in the process, that is encrypted with the compulsory letters and number combination for the password on the lock screen? I put the phone down, light the fag and then have the bloody thing turn off and have to enter the lock screen. I have an S II which has rubbish battery life and a screen so big that entering the lock code with one hand frequently means it presses shift or settings with my palm, it also crashes far more often after the ICS upgrade and does odd things like refuses to find the GPS and overheats in a car window mount. AND the SIII is plastic ? Give me an aluminium honey comb grid on the back as a heat sink, a big battery so I don't need the lock screen on every 15 seconds to save power and for security, and don't give me wallpaper on the apps screen where the app designers have no HID guidelines so the icons clash. I don't want a walled garden, I want a man's phone that is usable.

1. Andrew James

Re: Eyes's glinting

Samsung might suggest you stop smoking as a way to get around one of your complaints there.

1. Bodhi

As smoking is still legal I really rather doubt that.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Cutting you nails with a lawnmower is legal too, but I suspect Black and Decker would suggest you don't do it.

Legal ≠ not stupid

2. TeeCee Gold badge
        Facepalm

Samsung might suggest you stop smoking as a way to get around one of your complaints there.

Ah the same school of thought that came up with holding iPhones in a special grip or fitting 'em with a rubber sock to make 'em get a signal. An inconvenient and unwanted workaround to a core fuckup is not a fix.

My solution to this problem is to ensure that everything sensitive on my smartphone lives in an encrypted container and then to leave the ruddy password off the device. That way I get to use the regular functions by merely dabbing "unlock" and only have to type in a password when accessing data that actually warrants password protection. I've never understood the mentality of someone who's prepared to go through the pwd rigmarole just to make a phone call or look something up on the web.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

"I want a man's phone that is usable."

"a screen so big that entering the lock code with one hand frequently means it presses shift or settings with my palm"

You need a woman's phone.

3. Miek
      Linux

I believe you can set the phone not to lock immediately, but at a predetermined time after it automatically locks itself. I think mine is set to 30 seconds after auto-lock.

4. CyrixInstead

As much as I'd like to disagree these are all points I have to concur with. I love my s2 though and happily put up with them. I prefer the freedom over a Jesus phone

7. Irongut
    Thumb Up

Looks like the perfect upgrade for my ageing Galaxy S but I'll wait for the blue ones to hit our fair shores. I don't do anything in white.

1. frank ly

Me neither. People might think it's an iPhone :(

8. Mark Stronge

Completely NEW camera sensor

So why should we trust a review that says this is the same sensor??? This is a new camera, full 1080p video with still capture at the same time (never had this before) and full resolution burst mode, zero shutter lag with lots of new software features too.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Completely NEW camera sensor

Yes, had it been an Apple device they'd be banging on about how they "completly redisigned the camera with an all-new back-lit sensor and hybrid IR filter..."

9. Silverburn

Voice

Good to see call quality warrants a one line entry near the end of the article. Has everyone forgotten these are still phones?

Makes you wonder how good audio could be, if it had advances at at the same rate as the "smart" features.

1. Andrew James

Re: Voice

Also no mention of whether the loudspeaker might be audible while used a couple of feet away mounted to the dash in a car.

2. Mark Stronge

Re: Voice

According to Vlad from TheVerge, the call quality is a revelation, absolutely stunning. Also camera is the best from any smartphone ever.

1. Tegne
        Thumb Down

Nokia may have something to say about that.

*cough* N8 *cough* Pureview.

1. Bodhi

Re: Nokia may have something to say about that.

I suspect Sony (and SE) may have some input as well. Only reason I keep my Satio is it saves me buying a Digicam.

10. JDX Gold badge

Faster than Tegra3?

Is that what the graph was showing - that this is the very fastest smartphone in the world right now?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Faster than Tegra3?

And yet the article states:

"The processor isn’t quite the fastest available"

WTF?

11. Sampler

Confused.com

If this is a 1.4GHz quad core vs the OneX 1.5GHz quad core with a companion core how does the Sammy get 12130 Antutu score yet the OneX a 10588?

(source - the OneX review: http://www.reghardware.com/2012/04/06/review_htc_one_x_android_smartphone/page2.html)

It's been a while but last time I looked bigger numbers usually mean better? Or is Antutu just a crap benchmarking app?

1. Stu

Re: Confused.com

Yeah! Spill the beans El-Reg.

Just why is this model faster (by Antutu's standards) than the Nvidia Tegra 3?

Does the companion core just get in the way then!?

2. Irongut

Presumably they're different chips with slightly different architectures and the OneX chip is actually slower. Or maybe HTC's software is getting in the way and slowing it down?

3. David Hicks

Sigh.

This is an ARM device, there are many variants made by many manufacturers, they don't all work the same, which is why benchmarks are *more*& useful than GHz in this arena.

4. Boothy

Don't forget about GPU and other capabilities.

Just because the CPU is faster in one device, doesn't mean it's faster overall. CPU probably only accounts for about a 3rd of the overall score in Antutu. (Obviously will differ from one device to the next).

If you assumed the CPUs were equal in every except the clock speed, 1.4 to 1.5GHz is barely noticeable statistically. A device usually has to be 30%+ faster to actually be noticeable to most peeps.

5. Mark Stronge

The processors are completely different, comparing the raw speed of different processors will not work and yes, Sammy's inhouse s4 is better than the tegra3.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I wouldn't trust Antutu. I just ran it after a reboot and got 12214. Waited 20 minutes and ran it again and got 10763. Looking at the rankings shows huge variations in the scores so I think either it's inaccurate or, more likely, what's running on your phone skews the results.

7. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

"It's been a while but last time I looked bigger numbers usually mean better?"

Was the purpose of this post to demonstrate that you know nothing about technology? That is all it accomplished.

Clock speed is one of the least important things in a processor, as anyone with a degree in Electrical Engineering knows.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Clock speed is one of the least important things in a processor, as anyone with a degree in Electrical Engineering knows."

Er, I have a degree in Electronic Engineering, and I'll have to disagree with you on this. Yes, parallelism such as Superscalar technology plays a dominant part of modern processor design, but calling clock cycles the "least important thing" in a processor is a bit disingenuous. Clock speed is still a multiplier. If you're executing 3 instructions per clock, doubling clock speed will still double the number of instructions you're executing in a given period.

Yes, clock speed has historically been overemphasised by the media, but try explaining the benefits of increased parallelism to someone who just wants to buy a decent phone. Generally a higher frequency means a faster processor, even if the increased speed is also down to the extra development work us Engineers have put into the architecture.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'll say again...

...you need to get surgery on your hands to use this phone if you want to get off on smut at the same time whilst in your bedroom in your parents house. Just saying =).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I'll say again...

It isn't an Apple phone so most of the users will have moved out of their parents houses by now.

13. Cyberelic

Galaxy s3

Yes, but will it blend?

P.

1. Silverburn

Re: Galaxy s3

There are a million $$$'s worth of "QA failed" blue ones says they will.

2. ukgnome
      Coffee/keyboard

Re: Galaxy s3

Finally a sensible comment!

I knew if I stuck at reading the comments I would find one that I could agree with,

14. Jim 59

Never owned a smartphone but

- comments like this put me off:

"And the battery lasts a full day with ease"

and in the Verdict:

"...outstanding battery life "

1. Miek

Re: Never owned a smartphone but

These phones do more and as a result, battery life is the casualty. I'm sure we have all had an old Nokia that lasts a few weeks before demanding a good feeding, but, these phones are simply more useful and get a lot more use.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

double exposure...

Why does sample shot one seem to have a double exposure type thing going on?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: double exposure...

Looks like a reflection off a window in front of the camera to me. Other than that, the detail looks rather good.

16. hexx

That's one FUGLY slice of polycarbonate

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Oh, go fondle your iPhone.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is it possible Antutu scores a smartphone on a range of tasks, not all of which rely solely on CPU speed? E.g. memory copy operations will in fact test memory bandwidth not CPU speed. Or graphically intensive tasks, which will test the GPU architecture.

I guess the individual benchmark scores would be interesting too then.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Also available in blue...

*That is once we've worked out our CAD versioning plan.

19. squilookle
    Angel

So which is better, the One X or this?

Both got 90% and good reviews, but I have seen more hype about the Samsung.

Opportunity for El Reg to do an article pitting them side by side perhaps? (Maybe a 3 way contest against the iPhone since I'm sure some people will want to see that comparison, though I'm only bothered about the Samsung and the HTC myself)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If you want an iPhone in the comparison, you'll have to wait til Apple puts out something that's in the same league.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yep. Pencil that article in for 2015, then?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

You know, it's fine to prefer Android over iOS, but all these comments slagging off iPhones just come off as insecure. This is supposed to be a review thread for an Android phone and still you can't resist taking a swipe at the iPhone.

I long for the good old days when there was no Android OS and grown ups could discuss mobile operating systems without it degenerating into a childish willy waving contest over iOS/Android and as of recently Windows Phone.

1. illiad

yeah fine.. but do note that it is NOT a 'level playing field'... go on, have a close look at what you would be missing if you went for apple instead...

http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Samsung-Galaxy-S-III-vs-Apple-iPhone-4S_id3038

its a bit like comparing a 'land rover' to a ford escort...

I can see the comparative review..

"the ford escort tends to get stuck while doing 'off road' but its MPG and styling is good.."

" the land-rover has no problem with dirt, that a quick spray down wont cure.. "

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Samsung?

Is this the famous Compal-rebrander?

21. David Given
    Thumb Down

'Battery lasts a full day with ease'?

Wait, that's *good*?

Which reminds me, I must remember to charge my cheap featurephone this week...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

Re: 'Battery lasts a full day with ease'?

Oh noes! Not heard that one before..... phone-that-doesn't-do-much lasts longer than phone-that-does-loads.

I like smartphones. I get home and I quite often don't turn the PC on yet I can browse whatever websites I want, catch up on a book, play a few games, order up some shopping, control a PC at work, or stream music from Google Music. It also worked a treat when I moved house and didn't have broadband for 10 days. However, if that usage model doesn't fit you, then nobody's forcing a smartphone on you.

I also have a crappyphone. It's a Nokia 2120 or something. It lasts 8 days if I don't use it, which I don't, because it doesn't have any features I want to use. Work gave it me so I could be contactable but luckily my generally grumpy nature put a stop to people phoning me.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A quick note about the back. Remember, it's fully removeable so that opens the possibility of replaceable backs (i.e. different colours, textures etc.), larger backs to allow an even larger battery to be used (replaceable battery unlike the HTC, an micro SD support, also unlike the HTC) and also an alternative back that allows wireless recharging.

They are also doing a flip style case which is built in to it's own back, i.e. replaces the existing phone back.

23. Jeebus

To be fair, all those who had a go at the fellow complaining about Android Bloatery being the cause for Quad-Core should remember that MS are the kings of bloatware and naturally that makes them experts.

24. Fuzz

screen

Everyone goes on about how great the screens are on Samsung phones. I've not seen one review that mentions the fact that whites appear a bluey green colour. Doesn't this matter to anyone?

1. BorkedAgain
      FAIL

Re: screen

*checks screen*

You spelt FUD wrong.

2. Bodhi

Re: screen

That's quite standard for AMOLED screens, whites take on a greenish tinge, especially if you aren't look at them straight on. I noticed it when I had a play with a GS3 yesterday in Phones 4 U, yes the screen is big, but its pretty fugly imo. Forced colours and nowhere near as sharp as the one on my Xperia S, I'll pass on this one thanks.

25. Unlimited
    Thumb Down

4.8in screen

Pass.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

4.8" phone?

I don't need to compensate for any shortage in other departments.

1. M Gale
      Trollface

Re: 4.8" phone?

If you consider 4.8 inches to be compensating for a shortage...

Oh I don't think I need to write a punchline do I?

2. CRConrad

Need to compensate for shortage in other departments? I do.

"The department of Shortsightedness".

I'm so nearsighted, shit so looks much smaller through my glasses that I adjust font sizes upwards a few steps on most Web sites, f'rexample. (I think the glasses are supposed to work that way; a law of optics, you can't gain sharpness except at the expense of apparent size.)

So at least for me, the larger the screen, the better: The only thing I'm not totally happy with my Galaxy S2 about is, had I known the Galaxy Note was coming, I'd have waited and bought that in stead.

And I bet there's many more like me, with totaly legitimate shortages which we're very grateful that Samsung helps us compensate for. Now go back to teasing the other kids, whippersnapper, and stop bothering the grown-ups.

(None, because adults are able to communicate without funny little pictures.)

27. Rovindi
    Windows

damn your titles...

" This is handy if you’re studying a web page at length and don’t want to keep touching the screen to keep it on. Again, it’s a small thing but it somehow makes for an intimate relationship with the phone."

Is that a euphemism for knocking one out?

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Connectors

It seems that this phone has inductive charging.

Handy feature, just put the phone on the charging pad and it works without fiddling with a tiny connector.

Seems that Samsung have learned from the S2 issues which is good.

-AC/DC

29. BatCat
    FAIL

It's just like the HTC One X...

...way too big.

Why do all the Android manufacturers seem to think that everyone wants a handset half the size of Wales?

There's a gap emerging in the market for a high spec android phone that's no bigger than my current Wildfire S.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It's just like the HTC One X...

"Why do all the Android manufacturers seem to think that everyone wants a handset half the size of Wales?"

Is it because then they can also put on a huge battery that allows a whole days use?

2. paulc
      Stop

it's so people like me can see what we're doing and also tap in using the on-screen keyboard... I don't want a small phone, the size of the on screen keyboard squares is too small and the text is hard to read...

playing games and watching videos and browsing the web is also a far nicer experience...

ps. I have a Galaxy S2... I used to have a much smaller screened Android phone, but ended up hating it...

3. Miffo

"Why do all the Android manufacturers seem to think that everyone wants a handset half the size of Wales?"

Research. There was some survey that found people want big screens. They want to sell phones so they give people what they want.

Besides - name one Android manufacturer that only makes large screen phones - you don't make any sense.

30. Kyoraki
    FAIL

S-voice

Did a recent comparison the other day with Samsung's new S-voice, and freebie Siri knockoff 'Iris'. Guess what? Iris got way more questions correct over S-voice, rendering the feature completely worthless.

It even has a sense of wit and humour.

31. RonWheeler

£500 for a phone?

The mind boggles. Most bought on contract so effectively on credit. No wonder the West is bust and the East is getting richer.

1. M Gale

Re: £500 for a phone?

Couldn't have anything to do with certain countries becoming manufacturing powerhouses because their attitude toward health, safety, and the treatment of their workers is somewhat more, shall we say, "lassez faire" than in the West?

Or even people who want things manufactured not caring in what conditions they are manufactured so long as they save 50p a unit.

Naw, it's because people like expensive phones. That's why.

1. illiad

Re: £500 for a phone?

"more, shall we say, "lassez faire" than in the West?"

well hey, we could always employ western workers!!! then the price would be only £1500.... :) :)

- and who cares about the eastern workers dying of poverty, or finding even more demeaning work??

I am sure you would LOVE to pay more - got a spare £2000 you are not using???

32. Dave Harris
    Meh

just had an SMS...

Just had an SMS from my telco, offering one of these for RM588 (malaysian ringgit, about GBP120). Should I pick one up?

1. RonWheeler

Re: just had an SMS...

Hey, after you send your bank details to that Nigerian bloke to help him get his inheritance, you'll be loaded. Buy 2.

33. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

still waiting

Holding out for a Krait core with Adreno 320.

34. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hopefully this and stealing iPhone 4S camera pulls Android out of its rut for Goobles

That's right, its been stagnant as far as growth goes and now seems stuck at 7%.

35. Slackness

Yes

Finally got a blue one, its superb. So much faster than the white ones.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like