back to article Netherlands jumps off ACTA train

ACTA’s European disintegration continues, with the Dutch house of representatives rejecting the treaty. The Netherlands parliament has decided (Google translation) that the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement can be interpreted in ways that are inimical to privacy and Internet freedom, and that it therefore should not be …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. asdf
    Thumb Up

right on

Come on Europe you are the last hope against this draconian corporatism BS. The United States of Corporate Whores was bought and sold long ago. Still good start to ending this POS treaty.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Pint

Netherlands off the Fail Train?

Finally some *good* news today.

3. P. Lee
    FAIL

Doesn't matter

The UK will still go with it

1. Mark 65

Re: Doesn't matter

When I read this

"The Netherlands parliament has decided (Google translation) that the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement can be interpreted in ways that are inimical to privacy and Internet freedom, and that it therefore should not be signed."

my immediate thought was it has probably already been signed into law by the oh-so-compliant UK Government (party irrelevant, they're all the same).

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Disintegration"?

My impression is that ACTA was DEAD upon arrival in Europe; and any attempt by the UK to embrace it ought to be regarded as necrophilia and prosecuted under Section 63 of the Criminal Justice and Immigration Act 2008.

1. Zombie Womble

Re: "Disintegration"?

ACTA was dead as soon as it became public knowledge, this is why it was kept secret for so long.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Actually nothing has been decided yet

They agreed on some motions to reject it, but they are /not/ fully rejecting it just yet. In fact; right now the government awaits the result of the EU court which is currently investigating if ACTA violates basic rights for the EU citizens.

Once those results are in, only then will the government (which isn't even officially active; we're awaiting new elections) decide on its stance with regards to ACTA.

Its that reason why many politicians have called this action "Totally irrelevant" (quote from Maxime Verhagen, minister of economic affairs).

So we haven't said no yet. In fact; I wouldn't be one bit surprised if we'll simply let Brussel (EU) handle all this. That way our own politicians don't have to take any responsibility. Which of course is very preferable right before the elections are coming up.

Unfortunately our government has absolutely no problems by embedding (and enforcing) European law if that somehow suits them. Doesn't even matter if such a particular law goes right against local rulings or even makes the lives of us Dutch harder. "Sorry, that's the EU law".

(Of course when it doesn't really suit them they also have no problems /rejecting/ an EU law because... Well, for whatever reason they come up with at that time (not making this up, this has happened several times in the last years)).

As such; don't get your hopes up yet.

1. imanidiot Silver badge

Re: Actually nothing has been decided yet

Uhmm, the motion the parliament excepted IS to outright reject the ACTA agreement. This motion basically states: "no matter what the EU court says, we are going to reject it." And a large majority of the parties accepted it. (So finally they are atleast doing SOMETHING sensible)

I'm very curious where you got that quote from Verhagen though, I can't find a single reference to it anywhere. (And even if he did say it, just shows him as the EU lapdog he is)

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yet another reason

why the Netherlands is way cool and progressive.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Re: Yet another reason

Yeah! Sometimes it feels like these are 'real' countries, listening to their people (Denmark is excellent at this too, toppling its government when it became clear there were no weapons-of-mass-destruction in Iraq). And then there are other places like the UK and Ireland, where the status-quo seems to be governments who see just how much they can get away with while in office.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

In the UK we have the best government that money and big business can buy :(

1. Mark 65

@AC: If that's the case then I suggest they spend a bit more.

2. Petrossa
      FAIL

That was way back in the 70's. Now it's a borderline policestate. Anything that's not expressly permitted is forbidden.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Smoke weed err'day.

7. Frederic Bloggs
    Thumb Down

The House of Representatives, D66, ?

Erm.. Much as D66 (a smallish, but admittedly vociferous, party) would like to be "the House of Representatives", it isn't. Neither is it part of the the Cabinet (which is to say "the Government"*)

In any case "the Government"* has resigned; is now in caretaker mode ahead of the elections and is in no position to sign anything.

* it's not (anything) like the UK system.

8. g e
    Go

Excellent

Fuck ACTA and its megacorp self-interested sponsors.

9. Tony Paulazzo

I love this line...

>Copyright policy, the motion states, should focus on increasing the supply of legal content on the Internet.<

Do that, and piracy would drop 90% in the first year.

10. This post has been deleted by its author

1. asdf
      FAIL

nah

Guarantee he wouldn't allow comments. Even he would have problems defending trying to enforce a treaty that carrys NDAs and is not public.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Zombie Womble

Re: nah

I think he could come up with a few arguments. He does flutter around the houses of Parliament far to regularly. to be completely impartial.

11. Zombie Womble

I would love to see Andrew's take on this.

1. Zombie Womble

Sorry asdf, I deleted my comment due to typos while you replied.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like