back to article Megaupload founder gets uncuffed

Notorious Megaupload.com kingpin Kim Dotcom has been relieved of his electronic monitoring cuffs and is returning to graze in his NZ$30 million mansionette rental in suburban Auckland. Dotcom is on bail awaiting an extradition hearing to the US. He and his co-accused, Mathias Ortmann, Fin Batato and Bram Van der Kolk are …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JDX Gold badge

Dotcom

Really?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Dotcom

Where's he going to go, he's safest in New Zealand. If he came to the UK he'd be on the first rendition express to the US.

Our Judges won't stand up to the US, for our own, he'd have no chance here.

2. CraigW

Re: Dotcom

I know! I don't know why there isn't a '(yes, that's really his name)' every time it's mentioned.

2. Karirunc

Mega conspiracy my ^rse. Dotcom will come back bigger (sorry) and better. Btw. Cancelled my NZ holiday as response to the bs they have put him through. I just hate someone being made an "example".

1. Neal 5

Too right, we all know what the F.B.I stands for,

Fascist Bastard Idiots.

1. Euripides Pants
        Joke

What FBI stands for

Futt Bucking Idiots

There, corrected that for you...

2. Yes Me Silver badge
      Black Helicopters

Uncancel your holiday

There's every sign that the NZ govt is sliding down the greasy pole it got itself up. They want to stay in good odour with the US govt but sort of overlooked all the dubious aspects of this case; it's gradually falling apart. Anyway, don't blame the rest of the country, all they did was vote for the present govt even though nobody liked its main policies...

3. SDoradus
    Black Helicopters

Extradition may never happen

Given that the US judge handling the case involving MegaUpload asserts that may never happen - because the US authorities never served papers, in turn because constitutionally they can't on a foreign company - it seems entirely possible he may never be extradited at all.

NZ law requires that the extraditable offence carry a minimum period (five years) custodial sentence. The remaining ones don't.

4. JaitcH
    WTF?

Perhaps the XZ Crown has been ...

reading the tea-leaves and realises the USA is pulling yet another fast one.

Lucky Dotcom wasn't fitted up with a terrorist conspiracy charge, currently the flavour of the month with the FBI.

At least the NZ authorities are more reasonable than the UK types, they swallow FBI lies hook, line and sinker.

1. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects
      FAIL

Rendition and torture, war crimes and malfeasance.

Has the New Zealand ever done anything like the US and UK government have under George the Thickth Tory Bloodyliar?

Do they have a law that anyone taken into police custody has to be brought before a judge within a day or so so that any charges against him can be publicly stated for discussion?

Or is it a country run by crooks and worse?

5. Stu 18
    FAIL

Shonky John

FBI still took evidence from NZ illegally, NZ police still did a ganster type raid full of black opps and extra octane. If NZ politicians have their way, they will still be happily bending over for the US of A. Soon they'll sign the TPM free trade agreement and the US will be able to come over and do what ever they like.

I have no doubt the guy is morally bankrupt, that is the way to succeed in business and banking these days. It is just that some US companies that apparently own the US govt don't like the game when it is played against them.

So I hope he walks away with a huge cheque from the US for their trouble.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

YOu know what will happen next

A drone strike will "accidently" level his rented pad.

7. g e

Things Doctor Who never actually said

Crumbly Wumbly Casey Wasey

Not that he doesn't deserve a kick up the arse but, when it comes to greedy megacorps, these days I'd be on Idi Amin's side if he were still alive and being hounded by the MAFIAA

8. mark l 2 Silver badge

Whether any charges are brought against Dotcom now is irrelevant as the US movie industry has got what it wanted and Megaupload is no more, and even if it does come back it will no one is going to trust it for uploading their stuff as there will be too many doubts of how long they would last.

So who ya gonna call?

If it doesn't break him it is already making him stronger. The publicity he's getting would have seen to that alone if it wasn't overwhelmed by the publicity the whole of the USA is getting from it.

The world aught to vote the digital rights people a planetary treasure.

It's a classic of American politics, right up there just under slavery, genocide and communist witch hunts; alongside the Debs Decision, Freedom Riders, and Mohammed Ali's stand against the Vietnam war. Long may the RFBIAA never accomplish anything more.

What we need in this country is some fat chav like Dotcom to stand for politics.

That's how we got the Conservatives, right?

Ah...

Except we'll probably end up with another fat drunk giving half of Europe to Russia again.

I just remembered.

Blast!

I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects' plan to save the world bites the dust.

Foiled again.

9. Senior Ugli
    Go

LOL

Hes making his own album???

Fat man gangsta hacker rapper with songs such as

"NZ Snitches"

"FBI (fat bald idiots)"

"Dotcom Douchbag-ery"

"Fuck your takedown request"

"MEGA McDonalds Tripping"

And the smash hit

"Warez the bitches at?"

10. Velv
    Big Brother

Cyber crimes are starting to show a flaw in the concept of extradition.

Where did the crime actually take place - was it in the US or outside the US? And where was dotcom when the crime was committed - inside the US, or outside the US?

The logical conclusion is that any state in the world could request the extradition of anyone anywhere because they have breach a law in that state, even if they did not commit a crime in their own country. Example - Saudi Arabia requesting the extradition of homosexuals from the UK, even though they've never visited Saudi.

OK, so this may be an extreme conclusion, but until we as a planet agree the limits of jurisdiction, these examples remain plausible.

1. Bill Neal
      Meh

Velv

It is quite simply because they claim he stole property from US companies and profited greatly from it. Then again, look at what people in China get away with.

11. The Axe
    Facepalm

Serious backpeddling here. I can see a time in some months where the case will just quietly peter out. Bit by bit, different parts of the case will be dropped until eventually the case no longer exists, but there won't be any annoucement saying this.

Thumb Up

Where is the Outer mongolia border for the FBI these days?

The got rid of Elliot Ness for being successful by packing him off the the boondocks, somewhere in Outerplachia.

I wonder where the present duds are prepped and packing for. Outerlaska?

1. Fatman
        Flame

Re: Where is the Outer mongolia border for the FBI these days?

I believe it is here;

Point Barrow, North Slope, Alaska

just put that into Google maps.

Perfect place for those(1) who were responsible for this 'situation' to spend a lot of 'quality time'.

(1) Members of the MPAA and the RIAA, and their ass kissing Congressional allies, starting with Dodd.

Flames, because it is the only way to stay warm for more than 6 months a in the year.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Faster than a speeding bullet

MegaLoad had better be faster than a speeding bullet or else...

This topic is closed for new posts.