back to article EU set to smack Chinese telcos over state subsidies

The European Trade Commission is all set to launch a massive case against Chinese firms Huawei and ZTE for allegedly dumping products on the EU market after allegedly benefiting from illegal state subsidies. The commission has told EU member states that it has hard evidence against the two telcos after working on the case for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

EU farm subsidies anyone?

Sooo putting quota's on 3rd world food imports whilst subsiding our own is ok then.

Riiiggghhhhttt

1. FunkyEric

Re: EU farm subsidies anyone?

Do as I say, not as I do. As always :-)

1. Intractable Potsherd

Re: EU farm subsidies anyone?

I'd love to know the reason for the downvotes here. They represent a point of view I genuinely don't understand.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Finally !

The EU is starting to show what they are all about : a collection of money grabbing self serving criminals who make up all sorts of dodgy legislation so they can haul eveyones ass in front of an equally dodgy court so they can slap millions of Euro's of fines on evey country in the world.

Now before you start shouting 'it's always been like this', no it hasn't. They've indeed alwas been meddling criminals, and they've even made life difficult for private enterprise under the clever 'anti-trust' moniker, but apparently these large corporations are too difficult to extort money from. So now they're turning to the tax payer !

Question being : how do we get rid of them ? Anyone any ideas ?

1. Intractable Potsherd

Re: Finally !

There is an element of truth in what you say, Peter. The forerunners to the EU,* set up after WW2, were deliberately protectionist trade clubs. They (arguably) did a very good job of stabilising Europe at a time when it could have slid back into war. However, the EU now seems to be just another organisation preventing less developed countries getting a fair start, especially in food production.

Since organisations exist mainly to perpetuate their own existence, the only way to get rid of the EU this side of next century is war, and we *really* don't want that, so all we can do is try to put in place controls on the activities of the unelected shitwits in positions of power.

* The European Coal and Steel Community (1951) and the European Economic Community (1957).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Finally !

Unfortunately, my own country (Belgium) can be held responsible as the birthplace of this behemoth (Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxemburg concoted a Customs and Excise union in 1944 while our cowardly gouvernments were nursing their sorry backsides from being kicked by das Reich). We've been an 'economic union' since 58.

Only today, this early insight has led to the EU hitting us with a possible 100 million Euro for allegedly 'discriminating' between domestic and foreign financial products (I shit you not) and we're still not clear on that 708 million Euro fine that's been hovering abouve our collective heads since december because our budget was allegedly not up to EU 'standards'.

I'm sure other member countries are doing equally well, but right now I'm to depressed to research it. OTOH, right about now 1000 UKP will buy you a sizeable chunk of Greece, so it ain't all bad !

3. This post has been deleted by its author

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like