back to article Facebookers trigger vote to choke Zuck's data suck

Facebook may be forced to make changes to its data use policy after campaigners helped drive enough complaints about the company's own proposed amendments to trigger a user vote on the matter. Under Facebook's 'Statement of Rights and Responsibilities' the company is obliged to allow its users to vote on alternatives the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Khaptain Silver badge

Oops - Share Price gonna take a tumble, again.

Won't anyone think about the children investors.

1. Armando 123
      Devil

Re: Oops - Share Price gonna take a tumble, again.

Looks like this .com bubble came and went so fast it was hardly there. It's like we only knew to look for it because Stephen Hawking showed, mathematically, that it might be possible.

2. Jeebus

Good, kind of.

Half kudos to the pitiful amount of people who understand exactly what facebook are and still choose to be their product.

3. DN4

Opt-in

Enitre Facebook is opt-in. You already have the choice...

1. Ian 62

Re: Opt-in... Is It?

As I havent opted-in to facebook I cant be sure... So maybe someone else can answer?

But can a 'non-facebooker' be tagged in images within Facebook?

I'm imagining a real-world friend posts photos of the embarrasing situation with the flying goggles and the wet celery stick. Can they then 'tag' me (a non-facebooker) in those pics?

So that other facebookers can search and identify me?

All without me being aware of it as I'm not inside the walled garden?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Ian 62

Your complaint should be with the person who added the photograph and tagged it with your name.

The alternative is that FB, and every other site in the world, would need to have your permission before anybody could add any comment or tag, containing your name, to any image on their site.

1. Ian 62

It wasnt a complaint as such...I genuinely dont know if thats possible.

You're right that FB would most likely tell me to GTF, as I'm not a 'customer'.

But then, if I cant see whats in FB, how do I know if theres something I should complain about.

I'm nobody, so I doubt anyone would have anything interesting to say about me. But if I was a DD-List celeb and someone posted stuff in FB that 900mil people could see, but I couldnt, how would I know I needed to start a lawsuit?

Am honestly curious.. But I dont want to sign up to find out if it is possible.. anyone help?

1. dogged

Ian - I don't think it's possible. Tagging is a link to a facebook profile. If you don't have one, it can't be linked.

The AC above is either a troll or just stupid.

1. LosD

You can easily tag non-members. It'll not be a link to accounts like tags of Facebook members, it'll instead show the persons name as a label.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"if I was a DD-List celeb"

There is a list for that? Sounds like one worth checking out!

2. Anonymous Coward
          Facepalm

> Your complaint should be with the person who added the photograph and tagged it with your name.

Sure, like we'd also all be happy for our credit card companies to tell us to take it up with the fraudsters ourselves first.

2. ukgnome
        Trollface

you don't own your own name - hundreds or thousands of people have the same name

If I wanted to post a picture of a potato and label it as David Cameron* I can.

*of course I refer to my friend David Cameron and not the weasel shit of a prime minister! (he would be tagged as such)

3. Chris 3

As far as I am aware, no. You can only tag people by referencing their facebook accounts.

4. Armando 123
        Coat

If it's a photo of flying helmet and wet celery, you can just say it was an Allo Allo amateur production to raise money for a children's charity.

5. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Well I just went and checked (contentious I know*) and you can tag a photo with anything. Not sure how searchable that would be. If you've got a unique name (as have I), you might be in trouble; if you're called "John Smith", less so.

Create an account, friend your friends, disable location sharing and select "email notification when tagged".

Alternatively, you could join ElReg's army of idiots who avidly read any article with "facebook" in it and then post banal self-congratulatory mildly hypocritical messages about not being interested in it whilst committing the sin of Onan into their half empty pot noodle.

* science, bitches

4. Grant 5

There could be pics all over the web of you with your name against them not only on FB.

You 'could' be tagged on FB but it won't link to your FB account as you don't have an account, so in effect it's just some text stating that it's you and that can happen anywhere on the web!

5. Purlieu

Next

let's have a vote about Timeline

6. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Zuck will be in jail or on the run and Homeland Security will take over because FB is 'too big to fail'.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I get friend requests

My arse!

I don't have any friends!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Welcome to the real world. When you go public you can't get away with the things you can as a private firm.

1. ShadowedOne
      Devil

That's Right...

You can get away with worse. If anyone calls you on it, you just say that you have an obligation to the shareholders to make as much money as possible (by any available means regardless of morals or ethics).

9. Steve Knox
    Black Helicopters

Convenient

Lucky for FaceBook there's this "user vote" clause for them to hide behind anytime a regulator wants them to change their privacy policies...

10. Fibbles
    Trollface

Because no facebook thread would be complete without a post like this...

I have never used Facebook but I can say authoritatively that it is of no use to anyone ever and if you use it you're an idiot. Also, no other company on the internet exchanges services for personal information, just failbook. My 'friend' tells me that you have to use all your real info and that using a pseudonym is impossible (I wouldn't know because only idiots have first hand experience). If only you people had joined me on Google+ the world would be so much better!

1. asdf
      FAIL

Re: Because no facebook thread would be complete without a post like this...

Still sore about being one of the sheep that paid $38 a share there huh fanboi?

1. Fibbles

I've never bought shares in any company. It was pretty obvious before they went public that the company wasn't worth over $100 billion. I suspect most people who lost money were day traders, not your average Facebook user.

2. Goobertee
      FAIL

Your friend is mistaken. I have an account using a pseudonym that's even less believable (to me) than the one I use here, and all fake information. I did, however, go to the trouble of picking a town that exists and using its zip code for the street that doesn't exist and its area code for the fake phone number, so if their bot does a check, it might seem plausible.

1. Fibbles
        Facepalm

Sarcasm

It may be something you want to look into...

11. roy lovelock

best thing i ever done

completely delete the crap

http://www.facebook.com/login.php?next=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Flogin%2Freauth.php%3Fnext%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.facebook.com%252Fhelp%252Fdelete_account

no more opt in or opt out, privacy restored!!

this isnt the suspend but completely remove, it takes about 14 days for them to remove your account, dont sign in during this period.

1. roy lovelock

Re: best thing i ever done

http://tinyurl.com/cpme7br

that should work better

12. mhenriday
    Big Brother

Facebook ?

How about the Reg ? For some reason I'm reminded of this notice I see just above my status bar when on the site :

«The Register uses cookies. Some may have been set already. Read about managing our cookies.

Please click the button to accept our cookies. If you continue to use the site, we'll assume you're happy to accept the cookies anyway.»

I'd not touch Facebook with the proverbial 3-metre pole, but I do want to continue reading - and commenting upon - the Reg. What to do ?...

Henri

1. Steve Knox
      Holmes

Re: Facebook ?

Well, you could follow their advice and read about how they use cookies.

Then you can make an informed decision as to whether to continue using the site or not.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like