back to article China's home grown mobile platforms drive smartphone growth

The trend among domestic Chinese mobile players to build their own, highly localised, operating systems based on Android, is set to drive additional revenue and push smartphone adoption to a tipping point in 2013, but many efforts are likely to be short-lived, according to IDC. The trend for hyper-local Androids can be …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Only China?

Check miuiandroid, miui.us, miui.it, and so on, and you'll see that MIUI is enjoying a widespread acceptance in the west also.

2. Bill B

How does Google benefit from this?

As far as I can understand, Google doesn't get paid for the use of Android. The assumption is that they then get their money through the use of the Google services that Android provides.

But does this hold true in China? Is Google benefiting from the use of Android in such a market, or has it just shot itself in the foot?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: How does Google benefit from this?

The fact that Android is open source means that anyone can pick it up and do what they want with it. In fact, Chinese OEMs/carriers have been supplying smartphones with no Google software on them for sometime now.

Google wasn't joking when they said in the Oracle trail that they aren't making money on Android. They make their money from their applications and marketplace, not the OS itself.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"developed-from-the-ground-up OS" WHY? if GNU/Linux isn't acceptable* then why not use *BSD? that what Apple did! Also Qt plus OpenGL are mature, using these 2 will move them forward a bit.

don't try to reinvent the wheel

* the resulting OS will have to be open source as well

4. h3

Google doesn't benefit at all you cannot even use most of their stuff properly in China.

Baidu are going to / have made a version with their stuff replacing the gapps.

Cyanogenmod got their radio app contributed from MIUI (MIUI is at its heart a Cyanogenmod KANG).

China could develop something from scratch if it wanted to. (It is probably in a better position than anyone else to do so).

It is different to the West - the government owns all the mobile networks and has involvement with allot of the tech companies also.

It has lots of people / low wages / quite allot of talent (Some of the stuff they manage from nothing is very impressive) and the government can decide that it wants something like this done and make it happen.

I am almost certain within my lifetime they will be the world's biggest superpower. (I am 30 now).

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like