back to article Silicon Roundabout touts startup jobs for 'ninjas' this weekend

Got your own nunchuks? Spent a day learning HTML? Get down to Shoreditch's Silicon Roundabout this weekend and get yourself a job at a startup. A waged job. Silicon MilkRoundabout, the hiring fair for startups, hits London this weekend, and 800 jobs are going at over 100 of the "top tech startups in the UK", according to the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JDX Gold badge

Free fruit?

WTF.

1. Arrrggghh-otron

Re: Free fruit?

You own me a new keyboard... I just spat out my Papaya and Mango fruit salad...

1. Arrrggghh-otron

owe me a new keyboard...

Come on el reg... comment editing please... I'll get you some free fruit...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Nooooooooooo! No editing, please!

"Oh look, I can change my ill thought out, sub literate post and make all those that corrected me look like idiots." FTMFW!

Please don't.

2. frank ly
    Happy

"We build things that don’t work. We iterate."

Is it wrong of me to find that funny in a good way?

1. frank ly

Re: "We build things that don’t work. We iterate."

Sorry - spelling correction:- it's 'irritate'.

3. John Styles

Work for Wonga...

...we're parasitic scum that exploit the poor, but we're COOL parasitic scum.

4. Irongut

Can someone explain...

How can an iOS developer earn £48,957 yet an iPhone / iPad developer only earns £40,647 when they're the same thing?

1. Buzzword

Re: Can someone explain...

Your average recruitment agent doesn't know his R from his Oracle (or iOS or Java or Python). They just do keyword-matching on CVs as well as filtering out the liars and charlatans and cowboy coders. Can't blame them really: their job is mainly about having people skills and negotiating skills, not techie stuff.

2. JDX Gold badge

Re: Can someone explain...

They ask people what they do and what they earn, or scour advertised jobs and rates... hence these discrepancies happen all the time and as such the figures should be taken with a pinch of salt.

5. The BigYin

50k for a Java dev?

41k for Javascript?

Ha ha ha ha ha! Now that is funny.

Where do these people get these fictional numbers from?

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: 50k for a Java dev?

It's in London. Jobs pay more in London.

1. The BigYin

£50k is not enough for having to suffer London.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

£40K for a graduate

I'm sorry but there is no way on this earth that anyone is paying new graduates that amount of money. They may have a degree but they do not yet know anything about business, how to practically apply their technical skills or how to deal with people. Most of them have never shown any interest in anything outside of their degree course.

So an average salary of £40k is just pure fiction. I work in graduate recruitment for a top 10 UK university and in our books they are doing pretty well if they can command half of that; that is if they don't have to go and work in a supermarket after they graduate. Even PhDs would be pretty ambitious to be looking at this level for a first job - lecturing roles start at around £30k but they usually do a few years purely in research first.

2. Buzzword

I thought London too, but the column header clearly says "Average UK salary".

1. JDX Gold badge

Oh I missed that. However the national average is totally distorted by London prices since not only are prices higher, but the density of developers is much higher too.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Kubla Cant
    Coat

We iterate

Me too!

for (int ndx = 0; ndx < 10; ndx++) // can I have my £50k now?

7. John A Blackley

Language

Guru?

Ninja?

Is there no English word for "someone who gets paid for knowing what he/she is doing"?

1. Hieronymus Howerd

Re: Language

There may be several, but there's not much call for them around Shoreditch these days.

1. John A Blackley

Re: Language

I'm sorry I only have one thumbs-up to give

This topic is closed for new posts.