back to article Nvidia Kai to enable cut-price Android tablets for all

Nvidia has let slip 'Kai', the quad-core ARM-architecture system-on-a-chip it hopes will get powerful tablets into World+Dog's hands for $199 (£127) a pop. Speaking to the chip designer's shareholders, investor relations chief Rob Csonger said: "Our strategy on Android is simply to enable quad-core tablets running Android Ice …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lower price components?

Like cheap caps? I seem to recall that not working out so well for some vendor a few years back...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Re: Lower price components?

True, though that was about 10+ years ago now iirc and allowed the market to promote there more expensive solid state capacitors on the back of this bad electrolyte mixture in these cheap caps that killed my lovely BP6 mobo.

2. Steve Evans

Re: Lower price components?

I don't think you can level that one just at Nvidia, half the tech industry were caught out by that dodgy electrolyte formula.

I've seen boards from countless manufacturers with caps labelled from countless other manufacturers which have spilt their guts for no reason.

However, if you wanted to some Nvidia ammunition you could always mention the poor bump material choice on their BGA chips which caused Apple to issue a recall and admit a status of "non-perfect"!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

So is tegra3 cheaper than tegra2?

If Tegra3 is not cheaper than Tegra2 then the lack of cheap tegra2 tablets would not be indicative of a this panning out well.

Though a realy nice fast CPU and graphics chipset tied to a horribly cheap screen with little internal storage and poor battery life (yes even the best chipsets can be paired with a less than powerful battery) is not going to make much difference. This and if you have a cheap battery and screen then a cheaper chipset that is more than upto the screen size/performance makes more sence and does explain why this is not happening anytime soon in a reality near you.

Hope I'm wrong, but no spelling was involved so probably not alas :(.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

On die vs multi chip package

I understand there's a fundamental reason it's hard to combine lots of flash and lots of logic or DRAM on the same die. More likely they would stack dies within the package, al la the combined NOR and RAMs you typically get in cell phones.

Combining state of the art logic with the RAM and flash would additionally expose Nvidia to vagaries of those markets. I would imagine they integrated their SoC to the point where everything bar the memory is built in, for example battery management, audio, radios for WiFi and Bluetooth, etc. This is how the SoCs for consumer optical players are done typically. The downstream manufacturer simply adds the appropriate memory, tweaks the firmware to suit their end product and puts it in a shiny box..

4. jungle_jim
    Pint

Cool

I can't wait until i can get my dog a tablet. He will be able to update his own facebook status.

5. Big_Ted
    Pint

OOoooo

When will they get small enougth so I can have a tablet the size of an ipod nano?

Seriously though, this could mean cheaper phones as well as tablets if they have put mpost of the stuff onto a SOC, especially if they have 3G / LTE available on the chip as well for a little extra.

I look forward to the competition for the much more expensive tablets around today and the release of the first really high end phone for sub £400 on release.........

6. Steve Evans

Yeah, right...

The day a $199 device arrives on UK shores at £127, I'll eat my hat.

Price conversion into UK£ is usually a character replacement, not mathematical.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Yeah, right...

Did you confuse this for a political forum?

1. Adam T
        Pint

There's no need to be so harsh; I've seen people confusing this for an IT forum before too.

2. Malcolm 1

For starters you've forgotten to add VAT.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

NVIDIA: support Linux with Optimus drivers or GTFO

as title

1. Malcolm 1

Re: NVIDIA: support Linux with Optimus drivers or GTFO

Does the Linux driver model actually permit that? When it was released the argument that only the WDDM (Windows Vista/7 driver model) had the required functionality. I'm not sufficiently familiar with the Linux driver model to make that assessment.

8. Alan Brown Silver badge
    Devil

bugger Ipod nano

I want a tablet format like the PDAs in Tekwar.

1. P. Lee
      Facepalm

Re: bugger Ipod nano

As long as it isn't like Hawaii five-o. They constantly use a desk-based surface touchscreen to flick windows onto a wall display.

I wanna know how they get them back without walking to the end of the room, reaching up onto the wall display and flicking them back.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: bugger Ipod nano

>Hawaii five-o......I wanna know how they get them back without

.......not watched it since that scene in the early days, when Chin and Boomer were in a gallery looking at a sculpture and the plot required they know the artist for some reason

Boomer said 'why don't you Bing it?' and Chin produced a WM7 Handset and used the camera to pull up an artists portfolio from the sculpture.

9. Mikel
    Thumb Up

Want

This looks to be a nice little device. But I was hoping for June delivery.

10. Martin Huizing
    Boffin

Solving the battery problem...

Anyone thought of putting solar strips on the black borders of tablet pc's (or on the back for that matter). Just an idea... Any thoughts?

11. Anonymous Coward 15

Or even less than that

if you used an Allwinner A10.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like