back to article Apple tops tablet, mobile computer markets in Q1

The usual caveat applies: these numbers only work if you factor in tablet sales. Do, says market watcher DisplaySearch, and Apple is once more the world's top-selling maker of mobile computers. The Cupertino company took 22.5 per cent of the market in Q1, almost double the market share of its nearest rival, HP, which notched …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Jony Ive gets his Knighthood today

Fair play to him.

2. JDX Gold badge

3.6m notebooks doesn't exactly seem insignificant to me, Apple are now a major player in the laptop world.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Apple have not been insignificant in notebooks for a long while but its still a fairly static niche. Looking forward to see if the new MacBook design hits the spot, theres been a distinct lack of innovation from the current notebook top 5 in recent years we need some shakeup. Will also be interesting later in the year to see whether HP et al use the Windows 8 opportunity to bring anything new to the party or continue with the same yawnfest of products.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Would be interesting

to break down these figures, for each supplier, into laptops/desktops sold to business customers and those sold to private users (free choice for the user).

Business buyers tend to be buying in bulk, or at least more than one, to support standard business tools that, today, are mainly Microsoft software or supported on Microsoft software. I should not be surprised if the majoirty of Windows PCs are owned by businesses. The building I am in must have upwards of eight thousand (at least 5000 workers and growing, most with one, some with two machines as well as dedicated purpose machines, spares, new, retired ....). Look at those vast Lego blocks in London's Docklands, stuffed with workers, each with at least one computer on his desk.

So, a breakdwon of the main two customer types would be more revealing and perhaps indicate future direction.

2. Arctic fox
        Happy

It could be interesting.

With the latest tick or tock (I can never remember which way round Intel's jargon is) being released in products in Q4 and the release of the Haswell chips middle of next year sometime, AMD pursuing their own strategy, (and ARM will no doubt have their own plans) plus the prices coming down on panels with higher resolutions there does seem to be some basis for hope that something more interesting will start to become available whether one wants a table, a notebook or an Ultrabook/MBA etc. Furthermore, regardless of one's individual opinion of Win 8 the OEMs will certainly be wanting to use the opportunity to get us to open our wallets. I am not sanguine but there is at least some hope that there might be something worth buying out there in the course of the next 12 months.

3. Blaise Howard
    FAIL

shipments....

apple reports sales not shipments....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like