back to article Defend your phone against loose networks? There’s an app for that

A group of researchers from the University of Michigan has released an Android app designed to defend against a common firewall vulnerability which they say commonly exposes smartphones on cellular networks. The vulnerability, “off-path TCP sequence number inference”, can allow hijacking of Web pages users are trying to visit …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. LarsG
    Stop

Watch out again.

Almost everyday someone finds a vulnerability on an android handset. When will it end?

How many acces web pages with pass words, check on their bank accounts, buy stuff?

Every mobile should come with a warning 'Danger, using this phone may leave your personal data exposed and result in financial loss'.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Watch out again.

"How many access web pages with pass words, check on their bank accounts, buy stuff?"

Email = App. Not accessed by browser

Bank Account = App. Not accessed by browser

Buy Stuff = I use an App. If there was a need to purchase via web page, I'd do this at home on my laptop. How often would you need to purchase via browser on your phone? Not often and when required, I wouldn't be using a phone to do this.

Remember the phone must be booby-trapped as well as a load of other ifs and buts.

For Apple users, they have Apple to vet apps etc.. For droid users, they just need to be a bit savvy and not download crap apps from untrusted sources. Don't allow "non-market" apps, unless you have an idea of what you’re actually doing.

It's scaremongering for the standard user. Even Apple have their security scares, though they perpetuate the myth of (i)OS(x) being impenetrable and free from attacks.

1. Ed

"they perpetuate the myth of (i)OS(x) being impenetrable and free from attacks" - do they? How?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Go

Low tech is the cure.

3. TraceyC
      Alert

"Almost everyday someone finds a vulnerability on an Operating System."

There, fify. Slap that warning on all the computer things.

2. Confuciousmobil
    Paris Hilton

People are expected to download an app from people explaining how they can steal your data?

Are Android users really that stupid?

1. ukgnome
      Happy

Are Android users really that stupid?

People in general can be a little arrogant when dealing with their security. Sometimes they need it explaining.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Dan 10

Or...

...an attacker can download the app to scan networks for presence of the FW type that would allow the attack to succeed, reducing wasted time.

3. Roo
    Alert

Android Phones won't be the only attack vector...

If I read that paper correctly I think that attack could work on pretty much any network device that meets the criteria, not just Android phones.

4. TJ Sec
    IT Angle

Update: App deleted in Play Store

I think the article should be updated to the fact that the App in question was removed from Google Play Store.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like