back to article Pakistan blocks Twitter, then changes its mind

Tweets offensive to Islam have prompted Pakistan’s government to block Twitter – but a strong public reaction saw the ban lifted after eight hours. The ban had been prompted by tweets promoting a competition to produce images of the prophet Muhammed that led the country’s telecommunications authority to block access to the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Should we all take offence at anything we don't like or disagree with?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Paris Hilton

PEOPLE TAKE OFFENSE AT MY KEEN OBSERVATIONS AND INTELLIGANT COMMENTARY ALL THE TIME

1. I think so I am?
        Trollface

the irony of that comment coming from such a big dumb guy

2. DAN*tastik
    Thumb Down

@ AC 21st May 2012 00:05 GMT

Before I found out about the existence of a "Christian Science Monitor" I would have answered "Probably not" to that question...

1. Old Handle

Christian Science Monitor

Despite what you might assume from the name, it's pretty much a normal newspaper, maybe even better than most on account of being more independant. It was founded by the same person as its namesake cult though. (Mary Baker Eddy, that is, not Jesus.)

3. Winkypop Silver badge
    Pirate

I object to silly beliefs

But I waive that point. I do not press it. I look over it

(apols to G&S)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Encouraging

I find it very encouraging that the Pakistan Gov has back-tracked on what is normally a very inflammatory subject. It shows that there are limits to government interference.

Sure it may have been practice for restrictions later down the line, but then it has also been practice for the population in responding to such restrictions.

1. Bronny

Re: Encouraging

But the Government didn't actually backdown from choice, according to the article, they backed down because Twitter wouldn't remove the tweets. Hardly a well thought out rational decision, more a case of accepting their fate I'd have thought.

5. g e
    FAIL

I object to stupid people

But I see them everywhere....

Seriously though, any religion that does the equivalent of putting it hands over its ears, closing its eyes and going LALALALALALALALA whenever something it doesn't like comes along needs to grow up, move out of the dark ages, etc, etc.

The Catholics would be stuffed if they hadn't matured past THAT particular stage ;o)

Perhaps they need to declare electroma-tricity the tool of the infidel and chuck all their comms gear out so they reduce their chance of accidentally having to do the equivalent of getting into the fishtank and singing Jerusalem (Monty Python ref for those not in the know)

Fail cos well, if you wanna live in the dark ages that's fine but don't expect to be able to do it with interwebs and mobile phones.

1. toxicdragon

Re: I object to stupid people

Wasn't it a tea chet?

1. g e
        Facepalm

In the sketch the guy got into the cupboard/chest/etc whenever someone said 'mattress' I think and to get him out everyone else had to get into the fishtank and sing Jerusalem.

So yeah more of a getting into the tea-chest moment really, thinking about it, but the fishtank is a funnier image and no-one would have got the reference without that! (Apart from Hardline Python Fundamentalists, of course, who, it is rumoured, cannot suffer to see an image of a dead parrot ;o)

Facepalm for remembering it the wrong way round!

1. toxicdragon

There might be more than one version of this, but the one that I found, the guy puts a bag on is head, then someone gets into a tea chest and sings Jerusalem. and the more times it was said the more people were required to sing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGEeLtqtNvU

6. Buzzword
    Trollface

Catch-22

How did they know there was a strong public reaction, if they couldn't read it on Twitter?

1. I think so I am?

Re: Catch-22

because 80 million people came outside or stopped looking at their mobile phones.

7. John A Blackley

You do something I don't understand or agree with

So you're stupid.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like