back to article Real-time drone videos get GPU-tastic

Here at the GPU Technology Conference (GTC 2012), you see a lot of things that you didn’t think were quite possible yet. Case in point: cleaning up surveillance video. The standard scene in “24” or any spy thriller is of agents poring over some grainy, choppy, barely-lit video that’s so bad you can’t tell whether it’s four …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I noted the Nvidia figures mentioned but any comparision to it running on AMD, I know they support AMD so would be nice to have a scale of things.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nice but

Nice but, once they get there software stabalised and were they want it then it becomes viable to make it into a dedicated chip.

Still this is a potentualy very large market, traffic cam's etc etc, so many. It's even possible to extraplate a higher resolution from low-resolution video, be it the good old fractul compression or sub pixel extrapolation derived from the moving content. Though you are limited if you want realtime as your operating on a single pass processing.

Links to demo vids be nice for comparision.

3. JDX Gold badge

Can we see the video please?

4. James Chaldecott
    Thumb Up

They do provide a consumer version

Here: http://www.vreveal.com/

It works quite well, especially for removing canera shake. It's just a shame they removed the "Super Resolution" feature that vReveal 2 used to have. It actually did a half-decent job of increasing the resolution of the old 320x200 videos I got off my old phone (by doing sub-pixel interpolation of data from multiple frames, I believe).

5. Desk Jockey

Camera shake

Not sure the camera on a bike analogy is the best one. The shaking is severe due to the physical forces being exerted on the camera frame and there is only so much you can do to iron that out. Mainly, you have to solve the problem at source rather than attempting to fix the resulting output eg. shock absorbing camera mount.

Maybe this tech can work and really clear the image if the video is being slowed down? Otherwise, it sounds like it is best suited to dealing with grainy low frames per second images. Many bike cameras now do HD quality imagry, it is still shakey as hell though, not the camera's fault. Drone imagry sent over limited bandwidth is another matter...

6. FartingHippo
    Headmaster

Tsk

guys last shaved --> guy's last shaved

1. Z80

Re: Tsk

Read the scenario - there's more than one guy.

2. Cameron Colley

Re: Tsk

The last shaved what belonging to the guy? Or do you mean "... you can see when the guy has last shaved." is the correct English?

7. Maryland, USA
    Thumb Up

Brilliantly written

As a science writer, I strive to write this lucidly and humanly. Unfortunately, I work for the U.S. government, whose public affairs folks delight in turning science stories like yours and mine into dull press releases. In any case, about once a month I forward a science article to my colleagues as an example of the best science writing. Tag, you're it.

8. pete23
    Pint

Best thing I've seen today. Only to be superceded in 21 minutes by the first pint...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like