back to article BOFH: What GPS is for

The good thing about sales reps is that they're never too busy to come on site and explain a couple of their products to you if there's a potential sale in it. Better still when the IT consumables company replaces the grizzled veteran of "over a million 8 inch floppies sold" with Susan, a lovely young woman with a pleasant …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Rosuav
    Thumb Up

When will the Boss ever learn...

... not to buy anything that the BOFH recommends? I wonder whether he'd be eligible for a Darwin Award for this.

Brilliant!

2. Roger Greenwood

Fantastic

I've just ordered my GPS.

3. xjy
    Happy

Knock down Ginger

At last!

Knock down Ginger meets Hi-Tech and a beautiful bouncing baby is born...

4. Chad H.
    Alert

the boss can't learn

the boss isn't a single character... The boss is frequently... Err.. "Recycled"... Clickety click here, Zappity Zap there, and bang, one new boss vacancy at BOFH towers.

(What ever happened to *Clickety click*?)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

@Rosuav: The Boss can't learn...

...as he is replaced, suffers an "unfortunate" accident, etc before he even has a chance. Besides, he must be a slow learner for maximum comedic effect...

6. Sean Nevin

The Boss never learns...

...because they never last very long. Usually the Boss get fired (because of the Bastard); quits (because of the Bastard); or has a "tragic workplace accident" (again because of the Bastard). I think the Boss turnover rate averages about six weeks, just a little more than Beancounters.

7. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Coat

Memories

Tying adjacent door knockers together then ringing the bell just pales into insignificance <sigh>

8. Spike
    Pirate

GPS?

Ah, Simon obviously knows the real meaning of GPS. It's a Geographical Punishment System!

In 300 yards, go straight over, off the cliff.

9. yeah, right.

Much better.

Simon's back! Giving me some cracking good ideas too...

10. Dave P

Re: GPS?

Ah, like the bloke in California who turned onto the tracks in front of a commuter train because the GPS told him so. Then had the brilliance to stand on the tracks, waving, to try and get the train to stop.

11. Trygve Henriksen
    Thumb Up

Does the BOFH go Geocaching?

Just imagine the swag he could leave in the caches...

Or where he would hide his own caches...

12. Rhys
    Black Helicopters

I geocache

It's fun, but really, the clues should have lead the boss to try and break into the ECHELON Antenna domes or some other govt installation guarded by humourless paranoids Black Helicopter drivers who would have held him for weeks for questioning :P

13. Chad H.

geocaching...

could geocaching be combined with beancounter pinball?

14. Jeremy
    Coat

@Trygve Henriksen

Where would he hide them?

Haqre n uvtu ibygntr ryrpgebqr

Of course! (That's rot-13'd for the uninitiated)

15. tony trolle
    Alien

re:"Recycled"

we know about the 'Recycled' bosses but how old is the PFY now ?

16. Jon Pain

@Jeremy

Under a High Voltage Electrode

17. Trygve Henriksen

@Jeremy

Maybe the BOFH would do that...

I'm not so much of a bastard, so mine are mostly hidden on mountaintops...

(I have a few on islets, too. Can't make it too easy... )

My Geocaching.com handle is Gadgetman! if anyone is interested.

18. BatCat
    Happy

Best GPS trick...

... I've done is setting some poor geographically challenged visiting Road Warrior's Home address to somewhere completely different. They just jump in the car, fire up TomTom and hit Home as the destination. I wonder how long it is before they realise they're heading in completely the wrong direction...

:o)

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

GPS and mobile phone tracking

GPS is not the only way to track your location. Websites such as http://www.mobilelocators.com and http://www.traceamobile.co.uk can trace the location of any mobile phone in the UK to within 50 metres according to their websites faqs.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

@mobile phone tracking

Well, on the topic of mobile phone tracking, I upgraded Google map on my TyTN the other day and suddenly found that it could pinpoint where I am without even a GPS device. Too bad the range is almost always off- by 500 meters at best (the bloody thing said I was standing in the lake near my workplace! when I tried it in the office) and 200 kilometers at worst (said I was in a village in a state to the north).

21. barnaby
    Boffin

@ Anonymous Coward

The updated Google Maps usually has a circle around the "location" showing the area you might be in. This is because it is picking up the information of which cell tower you are connected to and then guessing the maxium range of that.

On my N95 it starts with the acuarcy of 1700 metres based on cell location and then a few seconds later pinpoints me based on the GPS info.

22. A J Stiles

You know you've been misusing computers too long

You know you've been misusing computers too long when you can read rot13 text straight off the screen .....

Also, if you're going to ring doorbells and run away, it helps to have some sort of surprise lined up for the householder when they come out. See "The Simpsons" series 10, episode 17 .....

23. Phil Rigby
    Paris Hilton

@tony trolle

The PFY would be about 30 - he made his appearance in '96 as the nephew of the (at that time) boss. BOFH and PFY working together got the boss fired 2 days later, being blamed for the person who swapped the Windows boot splash screens to something less business appropriate.

24. R
    Alert

PFY

So the PFY was hiding there the whole time, was he? One would hope that this Boss would be a bit more observant. I can't see him lasting very long...

25. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Re: the boss can't learn

Never mind "clickety click", what happened to "draggety poke"?

26. Andrew Moore

Oh dear...

GPS??? Geocaching??? How very last millennium. Sales totty should have sold him a state of the art GNSS unit.

27. |333173|3|_||3

@Phil Rigby

The PFY first appears as Simon's replacement late in the old series (when the BOFH is a Manager), and the PFY's uncle is not just the Boss, he is the CEO.

This topic is closed for new posts.