back to article iCloud blows away 15 million users for 90 minutes

Apple’s iCloud service crashed for ninety minutes on Monday, US time, leaving 12% of users – about 15 million people - possibly “unable to access iCloud mail.” Apple issued a system status update confirming the outage, which took place from 8:00AM to 9:30AM, Pacific Daylight time. The reason for the outage is not known, but …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Richard Boyce
    Thumb Down

Stick to the facts

I clicked to get some news and the article quickly degenerated into the usual Apple gossip and marketing rumours that's becoming an increasingly common substitute for good journalism here.

Please try to keep the factual reporting clearly separate from the rest.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

must have missed it

Just who was it that was panicking for this 90 minutes? Another non story on a low news kind of day.

2. Allison Park

Instagram on iphone with icloud

I bet apple can pull that off with a better solution and for only $50M vs. $1000M.

Instagram is facebooks "ebay/skype" "Sun/MySQL" moment

3. Silverburn
    Facepalm

Another shining example of why you should never host anything critical or sensitive in the cloud. At least under the vendors get some experience under their belts.

1. Reading Your E-mail
      FAIL

Agreed, I'm not getting fired because some cloud jockey hit the wrong button. Our stuff stays on our servers where I know backups are done properly and I can restore stuff without having to submit flippin tickets.

4. MacGyver
    Devil

Ha.

90 minutes of iToldYouSo.

5. VinceH
    Joke

" Apple’s iCloud service crashed for ninety minutes on Monday, US time "

Do they have different length minutes in Overpuddle now, as well, then? :p

6. netblaz
    FAIL

obviously, people have forgotten the wise words of the BOFH (paraphrased, since i can't locate the quote):

"Does anyone remember why we moved away from dumb terminals to dedicated PCs? because when the server goes down, no one gets any work done...."

7. g e
    Joke

Monday, US time

Is that like Tuesday everywhere else?

:oD

1. Kernel
      FAIL

Re: Monday, US time

"Is that like Tuesday everywhere else?"

Certainly would be where I live - for most of the day, anyway.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Holy SH1T

Does that mean the dead didn't make it to iHeaven and instead found themselves in Hell live?

9. Nameless Faceless Computer User

that's not news

It's news when iCloud works for 90 minutes.

-- former iCloud user

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Now we finally know..

.. what to call it when IT service goes up in smoke: iCloud :)

I did a quick check on this iCloud stuff yesterday (so it could have been me): when you enable iCloud your data goes up in smoke the moment you cancel it afterwards. Thankfully I believe in making backups..

I'm not planning to use it anyway - call me paranoid but I don't want my data in the hands of anyone but me..

11. SYNTAX__ERROR
    Thumb Up

Nubilous

Simon, I must congratulate you and give maximum ratings for this article in respect of your excellent and highly apt deployment of the word 'Nubilous'.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like