back to article Redmond revamp: Bing gets social bling

Microsoft is taking yet-another swipe at Google, unveiling a revamped Bing that Redmond says will do a better job of separating social search from the main body of results. The search challenger says its integration with Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Quora will let it pull the most relevant links from social networks in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Charles Manning

Admitting defeat

Our search results are crap, so we make it easy to ask your FB friends the question instead. Hopefully your friends will have the sense to use Google and send you back a reply within the next few days.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

BING IS THE BEST

I LOVE BING AND IF YOUR NOT STUPID YOU LOVE IT TOO

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: BING IS THE BEST

Don't lose hope! Medical science has made a lot of progress in the recent years.

2. hplasm
      Devil

This comment explains the rest of BDG's erm, output.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

If you love it, I love it too, BDG. You're my internet hero.

4. Mr Young
      Meh

Who does tthe soundtrack on the TV advert - I seem to like that so maybe it's a start?

3. zen1
    Devil

seriously?

Some of us don't use bing, like me, and some of us haven't bought into the hype of social networking (also me), could honestly give a rats backside.

4. Quxy
    WTF?

A better job of separating social search?

Now if Bing were to "separate social search from the main body of results" -- and then *discard* the social results completely -- I might consider trying it. But the last I checked, its success at finding relevant results for technical searches is enough worse than Google that there's really been no point in touching it.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I feel pitty for those people who

have to squeeze their brains in order to come up with such utter crap. Really!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is gonna get ugly

I like Bing!

The daily pictures are nice, but the fact its not Google can be nice too at times.

Bing.com: I start typing and I can stay focused on what I am doing.

Google.com: I type one sentence and the whole thing comes tumbling down and starts changing with everything I typed.

Neither engines are the best anymore (IMO) but I'd sure hate to lose any of them (because; without competition the market will REALLY turn to sh*t).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: This is gonna get ugly

Usung the Google search box in the FireFox toolbar just gets you suggestions and not the behaviour you describe. your post made me think about how I search and it seems that I'm using that method more and more these days.

As for Bing... I got fed up it trying to get me to 'upgrade to Windows' and that 'IE is Best'. Ok, so it detected that I'm not running on a Windows machine but I run OSX or Linux by choice and IE is a pile of rotting horse flesh as far as I'm concerned. The so called 'security' in IE is a joke. Why should I have to allow access to non HTTPS sites that I have specifically entered the URL for?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Because YOU know nothing about security.

2. Semaj
      Thumb Down

I currently use Bing as my primary search engine because over the past few months, the quality of Google search results has plummeted for what I generally search for (geeky stuff mostly). It's ever since they "integrated" their services. I really don't want it to search youtube if I am looking up something in regular expressions ...

Hopefully they won't spoil Bing with too much social rubbish :(

1. Craigness
        FAIL

I just binged googled "regular expressions" on bing (the "old" bing) and the 4th result is a load of videos. I googled it on google and got no videos on the first page. But there are links in the sidebar to search videos, images, pages from a certain year etc. Basically, google is better for the term you used.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Hopefully they won't spoil Bing with too much social rubbish :("

I also found Google searches weren't returning the quality results I used to get. However, what really drove me away from them was:

1. Getting work related adverts when surfing in my leisure time.

2. Google bypassing Safari's privacy controls, Was this why I was suffering from point 1? *

Too much tracking. I really hope that Bing doesn't go the same way.

* P.S. Anyone know how I can grab a slice of that wacking great fine Google might be facing for bypassing Safari privacy controls?

7. mrdalliard
    Trollface

Lipstick. Pig.

(see title)

8. Amazing Stace
    Megaphone

Do people really need a 3rd party website in order to ask their friends a question now?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How desperate can you get?

Seems like MSFT confidence in their attempt at a search engine is still low enough that they are keeping to their old tricks. If you press the "login" dropdown in the top right, the third choice is "Join Rewards now. After 4 searches, earn an entry to win an Xbox 360 prize pack. It's that easy!".

They could try to come up with decent results (without copying Google results this time), but no...

10. Steve 76

Bing, like the Zune, is something you would only use by mistake.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Wow! A whole page's worth of comments in an article about search engines... and no-one's plugged DuckDuckGo yet!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like