back to article Nokia E51 executive phone

Business is business, so it’s no surprise that the world’s most successful mobile maker knows exactly what makes the executive phone user swoon. Nokia has a long track-record of producing handsets that may not get consumers’ pulses galloping, but which absolutely bowl over businesspeople. The E51 is Nokia’s latest of these. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. marc
    Happy

Battery Life?

This is what made the 6210 so popular with business folk, it always had battery left. What's it like on this baby?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Heart

But is it as good...

as the classic 6310i?

Forget your shiney add ons, does it just work, despite how many coffees you spill over it, or no matter how many times you drop it (or more likely throw it across the room)

3. Nick Palmer
    Thumb Up

Looks an excellent option

May even be worth giving Nokia's Exchange Client another whirl...

4. Mage Silver badge

E65

I have the E65 slider. No complaints. Touch screen would be nice. Apart from FM radio, the E51 seems like a Candy Bar version of same phone.

The E65 camera can do 2D barcodes, but doesn't seem to be able to use 1D codes.

battery life on E65 is similar to any phone if you only use it as a phone. If you use it as a satnav, MP3 player, Internet Radio, etc etc all day, then maybe 4hrs.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How responsive is it?

Some of the new Nokia phones are painful to use because the UI's run so slowly. How does this one compare?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wonderful little big phone

Has everything and its really quick :)

7. Bad Beaver
    Thumb Up

About time...

... this review is only eight weeks late ;) High time you covered this phone. 85% seems fair considering the camera is... well, it works, lack of frontal cam and the sad 2,5 instead of 3,5mm jack. Everything else about this phone is just right if you desire a "phone", meaning the multimedia features lack a little gloss, but it just works otherwise. As you mention, it's a gem to hold too, with good build and nice materials. You can easily get much less for much more money.

What you did not mention is the tremendous ease of setting up connections. Looking for WLAN? It's right there on the main screen. Need Bluetooth? Just hold the #-button. The ambient-light sensor also does a great job.

The only bad thing about this being such a great device is that, being a Nokia, you cannot whip it out and brag about it in Germany anymore. Thank you, Nokia :(

8. Joe
    Stop

Whats the font size like?

Those of us of a 'grumpy old person' age find it difficult to get a phone where you can read whats on the screen, on account of it being designed by a 22 year old whose eyes can see font size 2 fine.

Can your mum read the screen?

9. 4.1.3_U1
    Thumb Up

Dual band HSDPA

The E51 does both 850Mhz and 2100MHz HSDPA, which was the seller for me - this is the first phone I've come across which does both. This means it'll work on the NextG network in Australia and most European / Asian HSDPA networks.

10. Suresh Sundaram
    Paris Hilton

super

hi & hello,

just how much did nokia pay you for this review?

regards,

metal might

11. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Voice Recognition

Two features - HSDPA at 2100 for US and voice recognition from Nuance/Voicesignal would make this perfect. I hate the qwerty E61i - it would be great to have a candy bar version instead. If Nokia is trying to compete with BB Pearl, they need these features. And please! fix the browser, its horrible.

12. André Marques
    Thumb Up

Looks like a perfected E65!

Seems to have all the things I love about the E65 plus the few problems about it sorted (no HSDPA, no way to easily turn on/off Bluetooth, a sbit of slugishness of the OS).

Hum... Anyone fancy a heavily abused E65?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Did the reviewer actually USE the phone?

How responsive is it? How do the keys feel? What's the battery life like in the real world? How about build quality?

After six pages, I am no wiser. El Reg, this fall far short of the standard of your usual reviews - it doesn't tell me anything I can't read on the Nokia site!

14. Insane Reindeer
    Go

@ Anonymous Coward • Sunday 27th January 2008 22:22 GMT

As a previous comment stated and as far as I can see from reading Nokia's own tech spec's this phone does indeed support HSDPA(3G) on the WCDMA 850/2100 operating frequency.

While I do not doubt your need for voice to text services on this phone, I conducted a quick web search and found this:

"VoiceMode 2.0 now Available at the Nokia Software Market" that was posted in July of 2007 on http://voicesignal.wordpress.com/

Yes Nokia's own browser is not brilliant but you can use a version of Opera. Free or the paid for version. I tend to find it is a common step up to make away from the in-built browser.

@ Suresh Sundaram • Sunday 27th January 2008 20:30 GMT

Sorry if I did not get this joke but why do you ask that question? Is it impossible for someone to like a product like this and so give it a good review. I would like to hear why you feel you need to question the review in such a way. Thank you.

15. Calvin
    Thumb Up

@ Anonymous Coward

Big fan of this phone. Have been looking for a couple of years for a replacement for my bulletproof 6230i.

I've had the e51 now for 3 weeks and it's a joy to use. i've Had an n73 for a couple of months and the e51 puts it to shame.

The keys are high quality, excellent feedback for quick texting (inifintely much better than the n73). I've dropped it twice and it still seems in pretty good shape. The metal rear cover adds a feeling of durability.

The UI is always at least twice as fast as on my N73. I dont take photos on phones so i dont care about the camera. I dont video call so i dont care about no front-camera.

I'm a big fan of s60. e51 seems to take it to another level. best feature is that by long-pressing the home key you can see all running apps, and force-quit any that have stalled (i.e. ctrl-alt-del)

Voip calling is excellent. it comes bundled with gizmo, but im using truphone cos its free to landlines till the end of the month. I get about an hour's battery while voip calling over wifi. excellent quality. the headphones are annoying. probably better to get bluetooth.

searching for access points is incredibly simple. i dont mind the web browser actually - the back/forward function is really well done. great design - slim, functional, understated, no gimmicks, no slidey-whatsits, no stupid colours, wouldnt have minded a slightly bigger screen, but it's relieving to be able to get a phone that is a tool

16. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Business phone - with a camera?

Ok,

How can it be a business phone it's got a camera, I find that many of my customers (private and public sector) and my employers policies prohibit a camera on site. Indeed one of the more enthusiastic customers uses a hammer/hole punch and mastic on the "business" phones they issue their employees - to disable the camera.

I'm still looking for a replacement for the 6130 or the 6810..

17. Insane Reindeer

@ Calvin • Monday 28th January 2008 10:35 GMT

"best feature is that by long-pressing the home key you can see all running apps, and force-quit any that have stalled (i.e. ctrl-alt-del)"

Well I could do this on my N91 straight out of the box 18+ months ago, you just long press the menu key. I think, but am not 100% sure, that this was a standard feature on most S60 3rd Edition phones...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like