back to article Sony Vaio L VPCL22V1E 3D PC

Reg Hardware PC Week Finding the all-in-one Sony Vaio L Series with a 1TB hard disk isn't as easy as it might have been. The reason you'll need to be keep a keen eye on the specs is, according to Sony, due to a shortage of hard disks – a consequence of the flooding in Thailand. Indeed, the Vaio L series models soon to go on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

i love

Touch screens on a PC, all the better to suffer RSI and eye strain having to sit so close to the screen that I can reach it.

What's the point of a great quality widescreen monitor if you have to sit within a few inches of it and only able to measure the pixel density not to mention admiring the greasy fingerprints all over it. Still I suppose you could wear a Michael Jackson glove to prevent that.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: i love

aaah come on, that is serious nonsense! Nothing wrong with touch screens, technology moving on and kids love them.

There was a movement in the 1900s, which I have no doubt you would have been part of :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re:There was a movement in the 1900s,

Ooh, I know, was it the Suffragettes? Fauvistes? Followers of Kropotkin?

I know it can't be the Luddites because they were active in the 1800s. And it can't be the Anti-Nowhere League, because nobody followed them.

2. qwarty

The point of multitouch on desktop is to augment, not replace, mouse and keyboard input. Useful for some applications, not all. 90% of the time at present I don't find it useful but the 10% makes it worthwhile. Some actions work very well with touch and may help avoid some forms of RSI originating with repetitive mouse operation.

Interesting to read about experiences with touch and 3D, positive and negative, but boring to read comments that come over as the 'I've never used it but think it would be crap' genre.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

@ Qwarty

Exactly. I can't help that touch-input on a desktop would be better implemented by re-purposing a tablet, placed next to the mouse and keyboard. Until such a time as a manufacturer offers this feature, has anyone tried to bodge it in software over wi-fi?

1. qwarty

Re: @ Qwarty

@Dave 126. Yes I did try bodging phone+wifi on Win7 when had a few hours time on hands. Fun but not quite ready for prime time. Tablet would be better I suspect. Not tried Win8 yet but expect we'll have that kind of thing coming out of our ears before the end of the year.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: @ Qwarty

Thanks for your reply, Qwarty. Good point - Win8 desktop apps being able to offload toolbars to a Win8 tablet would seem a good idea - and might even give people a convincing reason to buy a Win8 tablet over a Android / Apple device. (Though an Android tablet could implement this feature without MS's blessing, if its hardware allowed it to be a USB monitor)

Seems MS got off to a false start a few years back, with those widgets that were supposed to work on a laptop's (hypothetical) small secondary display - can never remember what they were called.

3. jason 7
      FAIL

I agree. You have a mouse and keyboard for all that.

I cant bare to touch peoples greasy filthy tablets let alone put my dabs all over my lovely new PC screen or have other people do it. Christ have to sit there with a bottle of Glass cleaner to hand all the while...oh hang on I know some shares I might want to invest in now..

Backwards step and not progress as the skinny jeans brigade would have you believe.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

True, there's a guy I know who never washes his hands and constantly picks his nose. Go on, touch the screen after him!

5. Kevin Reilly
      Pint

Got short arms have ya? seriously though for the money I'd prefer an iMac, or even cheaper something like my own setup a Mac mini hooked up to a 32" LG Full HD telly. You would have enough left to buy yourself an iPad + a smartfone & enough change for a great night out & a bottle of Talisker!

2. RAMChYLD
    Boffin

Give me just the screen, kthx

I drool at the prospect of a 1920x1080 3D multitouch screen. However, I don't like the single GPU Intel cruft it comes with. Sell me just the 3DHD multitouch screen to connect it to my Phenom II SLI gaming rig, and I'll gladly take two or three!

1. Dave 126 Silver badge
      WTF?

Re: Give me just the screen, kthx

Two multi-touch screens I can just about understand, but three? How many hands do you have?!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Dave 126

He doesn't want to touch the third screen with his hand.

1. RAMChYLD
          Boffin

Surround mult-touch :P

Spied an enemy trying to come up on you from the far right? instead of panning with the mousae, just tap the screen to center the view, then fire away :P

It's basically using an additional layer in 3D surround mode to cheat in FPSes.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How's that Far Cry 2 at the actual native resolution rather than minecraft-o-vision?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like