back to article Evil plot to control souls via Wi-Fi thwarted

US Wi-Fi vendor Ruckus Wireless has "apologised" for an evangelical ad campaign, branded ‘Believe’, in which a God-fearing preacher promises "WiFi you can put your faith in" and "the chance to connect to a greater power." Objectors have taken to YouTube with responses to the ad campaign which suggest “it is absolutely clear …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge
    Thumb Down

FFS

Apologising for that? Cowards.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: FFS

That's Americans for you lol but they got publicity so it's all good.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

A cynic might question whether they fabricated such an email themselves. Good way to get headlines.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Yep - that was my first thought. All you need is someone who is barely literate to write a crap email with some not-too-offensive protests (let's not harm the image, shall we) and presto - more free press coverage.

IMHO pathetic - caving in for that means it's either not real or the company really doesn't have balls. Either way is bad.

2. Armando 123

Might I just say, in defense of America, that for four centuries, the world has sent its idiotic religious loops to North America, and it's rather sad when the world mocks the religious lunacy in the US given that they're the reason for it.

Having said that, well, yeah, it's hard to disagree.

2. Herbert Meyer
    Devil

tools of the Antichrist

If Morgan Stanley is handling their IPO, they are certainly in league with Satan.

3. koolholio
    Go

Its an advertiser that went a bit religious on everybody... For the holy joes, it could be seen as blasphemy, most of them could believe satan created the internet to destroy human kind?

The advert states it is "free from noise and the insecurities of the old Wi-Fi" ... I'll believe that when I see it...

Let the ads roll, and if God was as forgiving as they say he is... I'm sure we could all repent a 'Wi-Fi advert'!

4. hungry thylacine
    FAIL

and there you have it...

...proof that a sizeable percentage of American humanity (and I guess others too) would rather rationalise their superstitions than accept the facts as we know them and that can be demonstrated.

It's all bit like that old fairytale, Intelligent Design. Really, when can a theory can be called a theory without observable, measurable proof?

When a religious American says it is.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Calm down!

They are only US Americans.

Not anyone important in the modern world.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: and there you have it...

...proof that a sizeable [sic] percentage of atheists will believe whatever they can see and measure.

"It must be true, I saw it on an youtube! Look, there's a screenshot too! Its REAL!"

Apparently, this forum is not evolved enough to identify an atheist with a sense of humour. Fair enough I suppose, they are increasingly rare.

5. jake Silver badge

Whatever.

Only ignorant fools believe in sky fairies. Why give the twats any press? Seems to me that somewhere around here all y'all claim "We don't do creationism".

Kindly practice what you preach.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Unhappy

Re: Whatever.

People who write stuff like "Only ignorant fools believe in sky fairies" are the reason people like me have to endure the assumption that we're raging assholes just because we don't believe in god.

You've got to love people who post this stuff, or put up billboards saying stupid shit like "Don't be a rube, only idiots celebrate Christmas", and then get all huffy and self-righteous when everyone else thinks they're dipshits.

Has it ever occurred to you that whenever you write the phrase 'sky fairies' you lower the chances of anyone religious considering things from your viewpoint? What's your goal here, anyway - to ensure that the lives of atheists are as difficult as possible? Does behaving like a petulant twelve year old and giving yourself a bad reputation yield some kind of pleasure?

With friends like these...

1. jake Silver badge

@David W. (was: Re: Whatever.)

Why would you care, one way or another, what an ignorant fool thinks about you? They are ignorant fools, and as such their opinion can be safely disregarded.

1. SkippyBing

Re: Why would you care, one way or another, what an ignorant fool thinks about you?

Because these days some of them have vests made of semtex they like to use against the unbelievers...

1. MacGyver
            Trollface

Re: Why would you care, one way or another, what an ignorant fool thinks about you?

Next you're going to try to tell them that Jesus (if he even really existed), didn't have sandy-blonde hair and blue eyes.

It's funny to watch the fundies rage against anything middle-eastern, yet forget their religion was born in the same place. Christianity IS a middle-eastern religion.

As far as the "apology" goes, I would be very afraid of any person that has the ability to suspend reason and logic, especially if they are angry and crazy. I recommend throwing money at them.

2. Paul Crawford Silver badge
          Joke

Re: @David W. (was: Whatever.)

"Why would you care, one way or another, what an ignorant fool thinks about you?"

It makes it harder to get the vicar's daughter undressed...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

O realy

Well you don't see the Jedi's going all emo when they see Yoda doing phone adverts. Clearly the better more well adjusted religion.

Besides faith is for people who don't do statistics, remember there is lies, statistics and religion.

SINcerely yours.

PXG

1. jake Silver badge

Re: O realy

"jedi" is no more a religion than "scientology".

Arguably, "jedi" has made more money from the suckers, though.

1. amanfromearth

@jake

O rly?

See here

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@PXG

Not more adjusted but more controlled I think. They are allowed to call themselves a religion but I bet that the moment they'd step out of line (like your example) they can expect huge claims through lawsuits from uber-Jedi Mr. Lucas himself.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't get Left Behind

They all worship the Demiurge over there anyway.

8. Esskay
    WTF?

This is what is wrong with the US:

The biggest minds in IT over in the United States have to be shipped off to some boat 10 miles off the coast of California in order to continue working there... But these religious crazies get to live it up on the mainland?! Surely they've got this the wrong way around...

1. MacGyver
      Devil

Re: This is what is wrong with the US:

We can't get them all on the boat. they keep insisting that only two of them are all that is needed.

"Mommy is busy, go talk to uncle-daddy Noah or go play with your cousin-brother."

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Try to find your sense of humour

And you all DON'T think the whole thing is a spoof to get publicity for the IPO?

Come on now try to keep up.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Try to find your sense of humour

Exactly. From the article: "publicity heat as Ruckus Wireless starts prepping for its IPO".

The IT industry equivalent of a dodgy bedroom video "leaked" onto the Internet to promote a D-list pop starlet's new single. No I'm not going to name any of the starlets, and I'm not sure El Reg should have named this one either.

In what way is this coverage "Biting the hand that feeds IT"?

10. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

In a See of Danegeld, what Decide Wise Owls and Tower Ravens? Anything New and Excitingly Different?

He commends the work of the “incredibly brave whistle-blower” who has now halted the “highly-organized plan to take over the souls of the world’s unsuspecting population.”

Oh please, you cannot be serious when such a clear way has been shown. And from where so much more needs to be known for Future Phormations with Sublime Eventing for Hidden Precocious Talents in Raw Desire and XSSXXXXLust ....... The Yin and Yang in Seventh Heaven Immaculately Servering SMARTR AI Virtual Machine dDrivers Projecting Protected Programs.

And probably likely codenamed NIRVANA somewhere.

11. The BigYin
    Flame

Never apologise to superstition

There probably is no Yaweh/Allah/Thor/Whatever (as there is certainly no evidence).

Thus they hold the same validity as the Easter Bunny and should be treated as such.

It's high time we stopped treating religion in such a privileged manner and regarded it as the hate-filled, child abusing, reason stunting, war causing hokum that it is.

1. JohnG

Re: Never apologise to superstition

"It's high time we stopped treating religion in such a privileged manner and regarded it as the hate-filled, child abusing, reason stunting, war causing hokum that it is."

You may be right, although some religions are more chilled out than others. Anyway, we'll let you tell the Muslims of this new policy.

12. cortland

I've read that before Saudi Arabia allowed domestic radio broadcasts, the technology had to be tested for Satanic influence with a Sura from the Koran. Progress, eh?

13. bob, mon!
    Devil

Damn, they're on to us!

Guess we'll have to go back to the usual, poorly-organized plan to take over the soles of the world's unsuspecting population.

And all that legwork gone to waist....

I just wish I could write "apologies" like that.

1. frank ly
      Facepalm

Re: Damn, they're on to us!

If we want to take over the soles, it'll be lots of footwork, not legwork.

14. TeeCee Gold badge
    WTF?

Aplogise?

I'd have written back and suggested that anyone with that many loose screws ought to consider opening a hardware store.

15. cyberdemon Silver badge
    Coat

Publicity stunt?

They were just trying to make a ruckus!

16. Flugal

I won't hold my breath waiting for the various religions to apologise for making claims about their god(s) they can't back up.

TBH I just feel a bit sorry for people who do *actually* believe in god. I'm pretty sure a lot of various senior religious people know it's a bunch of bullshit, but when it makes good money, and gives political power, why let the truth get in the way?

Religion is shit.

17. Diane Miller

Didn't any of you notice...

...that the picture accompanying the "apology" was a woman in a tin foil hat? I don't believe they were actually apologizing. Whether they created the original email or not, I can't say, but either way I think they're simply generating some publicity and having a little fun in the process.

18. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge
    Devil

The Evangelicals think they own the copyright on crazy.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

CyberSpace Awareness Test # XSSXXXX120508 ........

I wonder what the Crazy think about that, Paul? It is an interesting and challenging portal, via the Evangelical Root and Route, into sublime mainstream activity on the deeper darker sensuous fringes that embroider the centre with their reasons for being.

If the honest truth be told, there is no defence against cyber assaults and attacks, is there, just a smart great game where the goodies get to lead the baddies with smooth executive board makeovers and takeovers of outmoded and moribund business models, in need of some magic intellectual property injection, ..... a new rabid customer base for rapid exponential growth. :-)

If you know where, or even just who to go to get those, are you always sure of smart business customer clients ........ virtually naive patients if this were a Cyber Clinic Consult.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like