back to article iPad chargers can open beer bottles

That clever Jony Ive. Not content with giving the planet all manner of lovely iThings, the Apple designer may also have given the world the first combined AC adapter/beer bottle opener. US Student Eva Giselle, aka @EvaZebra, made the discovery when she posted the pic below depicting the alleged removal of a beer bottle cap …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. P Zero
    Trollface

Stops you leaving your phone in a bar at least...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

how much

Will it cost to replace?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

soon it

will be litigation, 'I'm going to take Apple to court because it didn't say in the instruction book that I shouldn't use the charger to open a beer bottle.'

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: soon it

Or apple sues eva for opening a non-Apple bottle filled with non-Apple beer.

1. Wize
          Pint

Apple beer? Isn't that cider?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

shh, otherwise they'll want to patent that, too.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Paris Hilton

PRETTY CLEVER

BUT DID YOU KNOW THAT YOU COULD TOWEL OFF YOUR BACKPORT WITH A COPY OF THAT STEVE JOB BIOGRAPHY EVEN HANDIER

2. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Sure hope it isn't her hands in the picture.

3. PhilipN Silver badge

Problem is ...

He's holding it wrong.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How quaint

Bottle tops that don't screw off by hand...

1. TheRealRoland

Re: How quaint

Consider this an iOpener...

1. Simon_Sharwood_Reg_APAC_Editor (Written by Reg staff)

Well played, Sir. Well played.

2. James Micallef Silver badge
        Thumb Up

Re: iOpener

Post of the month!

Take a bow

2. JDX Gold badge

One of the few things that America could have usefully exported to the UK, instead of all that other crud.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I don't want screw off bottle tops!

Can't reuse the bottles as easily for my home brew!

1. Martin Budden Silver badge
        Go

"I don't want screw off bottle tops!

Can't reuse the bottles as easily for my home brew!"

Sure you can. It's easy. This is the kind of twist-top bottle cap we are talking about:

http://gardennotesforrelocalisation.blogspot.com.au/2011/03/twist-on-home-brew.html

and here is a close-up:

http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-14736985/stock-photo-beer-bottle-close-up-with-bottle-cap-with-clipping-path.html

They work great with a standard home-brewer's capper.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bloody students.

Get a job.

6. Jeebus

Pabst blue ribbon comes in cans now doesn't it?

7. Blofeld's Cat
    Thumb Up

Well...

It seems to work, but it really upsets the sales people at PC World.

You can also remove crown corks with a standard UK 13 A plug, provided it has a metal earth pin.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't worry Samsung fans, I'm sure your next power brick will come with the S Opener feature too.

1. Steven Roper
      Stop

Which will no doubt will only make the lawyers richer

since Apple will have patented bottle openers before that happens.

9. armyknife

titles are for toffs

Tool makes tool fail ?

10. nickpaton

Lighters work too

Plastic Bic Disposable lighters work as well, though you're slightly taking your life in your hands if you snap it!!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Lighters work too

Anything hard and flat will work. You can even just use a counter top or if you're careful, another capped beer bottle. I never understood the concept of keychain bottle openers considering a normal key does the job just fine.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Lighters work too

Or use your teeth.

11. nickpaton

Works with Bics too

Even more cool is to use your Bic disposable lighter but can be interesting if cracks when prising the top off!!

1. TheRealRoland
      Thumb Up

Re: Works with Bics too

Uhm... Whiteboard markers? edges of tables? Cutlery? Small rocks? (they do float!)

Go camping and find out you forgot a bottle opener...

Corks can pose a whole new challenge :-)

1. Blofeld's Cat
        Pint

Corks (was Re: Works with Bics too)

"Corks can pose a whole new challenge"

Try using a large woodscrew or tent peg to extract the cork. Failing that drive the cork into the bottle with a suitable stick and a rock.

If all else fails, sabre the bottle.

1. Cliff

Re: Corks (was Works with Bics too)

Simply smash the bottle into your Trangia, and filter the larger glass shards out with a sock.

Bear would.

1. david bates

Bear would also filter the smaller glass shards out with his kidneys though.

2. Anonymous C0ward

Do you not have a bottle opener on your Swiss Army knife? For shame.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Then I take it you don't drink s|k|n (Screw Kappa Napa).

1. LateNightLarry
                Pint

You ain't seen nothing until you see an 53 foot long Screw Kappa Napa truck going down the highway from their plant here in Napa Valley... Lots of graphics on the trailer...with SKN very much emphasized.

Beer until I get a glass of wine... and it's Wine O'Clock right here in Napa Valley. Lessee, which of the 350 wineries shall I visit today?

2. Schultz
          Go

Knock the bottom of the bottle against a tree to knock the cork out. Wine will be shaken (not stirred) and a little frothy.

1. stanimir

put you t-shirt on the wall and smash it till the wine cork pops... good 'ol day

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Works with Bics too

pah. All you need is a sheet of paper, a map works at a push.

12. Chris 171

Mick Fanning

Had it right...

13. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

But does it charge afterwards?

When Swedes do their military service they are issued with a bottle opener as part of the official equipment. That is because some years ago a bright spark found out that you could open a beer bottle using the business end of an ammunition clip. Unfortunately after a few beers opened like this the clip got bent just enough that the weapon would jam when fired. An official-issue opener was the simplest solution...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Re: But does it charge afterwards?

^^ iApprove.

2. TeeCee Gold badge
      Pint

Re: But does it charge afterwards?

The Israelis rather cunningly built a bottle opener into the base of every ammo clip. This prevents grunts resorting to using the clips incorrectly when they've lost their seperate opener.

The problem's rife on the venerable AK47 and is possibly that weapon's only serious fault. The hasp at the front of the clip is perfect for opening beer bottles. Doing this means that the clip will likely fail to, er, clip into place when attempting to reload, leaving the idiot who did it staring at the clip now lying on the floor with a puzzled expression while everyone on the other side takes a free potshot.

This proves that drinking beer can kill you.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nokia chargers can also open beer bottles.

Only the old ones though.

Don't try it with a Lumia charger. They'll only open one brand of beer, which tastes like piss but people will keep coming up to you saying how great it tastes really. Oh, and in three months' time, it'll stop working and you'll have to pay for a new one, which won't work anyway - if you can even find someone who will sell you one, as the guy in the shop will instantly respond to your request with 'You don't want one of *those*...'

15. spionski
    Pint

iPod shuffle

I've used my iPod shuffle quite successfully as a bottle opener... (That's an earlier generation model though. I think the latest ones are slightly smaller, that might make it a bit more difficult).

16. Ian 57

Smart girl

Eva seems really smart. That's lucky, makes up for God giving her man-hands.

17. michaelkav
    Thumb Up

No really that kid needs a job at Apple. They could use him to think up dual use for their products. Here is a few ideas for him to get him started.

Your MacBook is not just a computer it is also a hover board - ride it to work - push your shopping bags home - but wait there is more...if you buy a Magic Mouse, with built in COCOA lottery number generator, we will throw in the new iPad "HOT"...the new iPad HOT does not just organise your life on the go but keeps your coffee warm anywhere anytime...just pop your cup on it and press the heat me button to remove those winter chills - also heats soup - terms and conditions apply.

AWSOME KID I WANT HIS AUTOGRAPH I DID IT AND IT WORKS! :)

Apple need a prize for these kind of viral marketing things kids come up with for their products. At the very least this kid should get a free iPad out of this!

18. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Series II Landies....

....have (note, not had) a perfect solution in the form of a lip under the ledge along the front of the cab. One of the first things we learnt growing up in the Namib....

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So, reading all of this... am I really the only person to have used bolt cutters to open a beer?

(Though by the second I'd figured that tin snips work better)

20. Mephistro
    Joke

The next move by Apple...

... will be financing -err, unofficially- a viral campaign promoting the use of MacBooks as nutcrackers. Huge increase in sales, low costs and what Apple really loves: void warranties!

21. Lance 3

The real iOpener

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vdbdbo0xkn0

22. Peddler
    Trollface

thus opening up a new revenue stream...

... suing the manufacturers of bottle and can-openers and cork-screws.

23. b166er

How banal

24. ian 22

Real men don't use openers

Real men open bottled beer with their teeth.

Arrr!

1. LateNightLarry
      Coat

Re: Real men don't use openers

AT least while they still have teeth...

Coat... gone...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Real men don't use openers

> Real men open bottled beer with their teeth.

Real men drink draught beer.

25. Sceptic Tank Silver badge
    Terminator

Mankind is saved!

Glad to see years of study finally paid off for her. Was this development the result of a doctoral thesis of some kind?

<-- I'll use my tooth, thank you.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not plugged in first

Shame it couldn't be connected to the mains while being used as a bottle opener. might help reduce the iFans population.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Looking forward to the Darwin Award nominees as a result of this

iFried myself.

28. Stevie

Bah!

Electrons often get stuck in those wall-chargers, forming a dangerous shock hazard as many tinkerers can attest, but these can be loosened to flow through the wire and do useful work.

Simply strike the wall charger firmly with a lump hammer five or six times before plugging it in and you may notice a perceptible drop in charge time.

Use eye protection and open your beer first, of course.

29. stizzleswick
    Pint

Just for the kick of it,

I tried my old iPod Shuffle (2nd gen.) charger. Works just fine, if you don't use brute force, and so far has left my charger completely unscarred.

Have Apple taken lessons from Victorinox?

Anyway, hand me a pint of Real Ale, please.

30. Unicornpiss
    Pint

iDrink

But can you charge your iCrap with a bottle opener? That would be a feat...

31. Solomon Emmanuel Goldstien
    Pint

I can say with confidence that this method works with both the ipad charger and earlier apple FireWire chargers of similar design! A word of caution - this only works with genuine Apple chargers, the cheap Chinese clones usually have a plastic rather than a metal tab like the apple product in the photo above.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like