back to article Crazy old black hole's X-ray ultra-belch makes galaxy blush

A powerful blast of X-rays - equivalent to the energy emitted by a MILLION Suns - has been fired out of a black hole in the spiral galaxy M83, lighting up the space around it. A ULX in a spiral galaxy Credit: Left: ESO/VLT and NASA/CXC/Curtin University/R. Sorla. Right: NASA/STScl/Middlebury College/F. Winkler et al. Over …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mr Young
    Pint

Very good

If we could approach a black hole type thingy how much acceleration is possible?

1. Norman Hartnell

Re: Very good

How spaghettified are you willing to get?

1. Fibbles

Re: Very good

I need your banking details Norman, you owe me a new keyboard.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm ashamed to ask this...

I must have missed this day at school - black holes are 'black' because electromagnetic waves are captured completely by them. Where do the x-rays come from? Just outside the black hole?

1. Captain DaFt

Re: I'm ashamed to ask this...

Yep, as matter is spun furiously in orbit around the event horizon, due to the blackhole's intense gravity, it becomes energized, emitting x-rays.

Kind of a naturally occurring particle accelerator.

3. Silverburn
    Mushroom

A million times more powerful than our sun?

mmm. Deadly.

4. Ron 6
    Unhappy

Life in outer space?

Not in this galaxy maybe...

1. Yag

Re: Life in outer space?

Not in the immediate vicinity of this exuberant couple at least...

Actually, this explain a bit why we're in a cozy outer arm of the galaxy instead of in a more central place... In the galactic center, a planet would be constantly sterilized due to the various partying neighbours.

5. mhenriday
    Headmaster

Is «MILLION» more than, less than, or equal to

«million» ? Or did the Reg editor simply get his finger stuck on the caps-lock key ?...

Henri

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like