back to article Facebook IPO: The date is set, Zuckerberg casts the dice at last

Facebook's IPO is finally shaping up with the likely start of trading slated for May 18 after a roadshow starting next Monday. A source familiar with the matter let the Wall Street Journal know the schedule for the roadshow, where the company goes around to investors and tells them how awesome it is and how everyone should buy …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Blunderbuss
    Meh

No comments yet?

Article posted at 12:38 GMT, by 14:09 still no comments.

This speaks volumns about how much people really care about the flippin FB IPO.

Is it really such a big deal that Mr Zuckerberg is going to get significantly richer in a few days time?

2. nsld
    Mushroom

I shall look forward

To lots of investors getting poorer over time as the true value of the electronic snake oil that is the Facebook IPO comes to pass.

Groupon blazed the trail on this as its spiralled downwards, facebook will follow

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is how it works

1) Create a website

2) Wait for it to receive LOTS of traffic

3) Have an IPO to raise an insanely stupid amount of money

4) Run

5) Watch on from the sidelines as the 'investors' try to figure out how to make money and salvage their investment

6) Website goes tits up or changes it's business model from the one that floated within 2 years

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: This is how it works

Funnily enough, that's what I was thinking, closely followed by "So Zuckerberg clearly reckons the bubble is about to burst and it is time to cash in.".

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fine, now I can finally publish

I've been waiting for so looong (tadum)..

Facebook just has a couple of teensy weeny problems on the legal side. It'll be fun to watch..

1. AndyS

Re: Fine, now I can finally publish

What?

5. Nick 6
    Alert

Dear Fund Manager

Please don't plough my precious pension fund into this crud. You screwed up last time with that internet bubble in 1999-2002 - remember ? Stick it all in tobacco and guns instead...

thanks,

Nick

[this open letter does not constitute general investment advice]

6. JM987
    Stop

Will gain then lose.

I have no plans on investing a dime in this company. I've come to realize that tech companies / internet companies get their highs and lows and can't be trusted in the long term.

I get the impression that people that are on facebook regularly have no concern for privacy and are more interested in being provided "useful / relevant" information provided to them instead of having to look for it. The next stage to this is going to be your mobile keeping track of what you buy, what you search, what you like, what your friends like, etc. Facebook is just generation 1 of this massive data collection and as long as the masses continue not to be concerned about privacy, there will be another start up that will invade privacy even more and the masses will "enjoy" the benefits it offers.

7. Nights_are_Long

The tip of this pustule is getting ready to burst in a spectacular fashion.

8. Local Group
    Trollface

Keep your eye on the volume.

Zuckerberg will be selling 120 million shares during the IPO. And the funds will be going into his bank account and not FB's. And the Federal and California treasuries will be getting a nice big slice of that.

That's the price Z has to pay to convert Monopoly shares into Monopoly money.

9. Spud2go
    Trollface

Alternative spelling of "Bubble"

P - O - P.

If my fund managers screw up over this, can I sell their kidneys to recover some of my retirement investments?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like