back to article Zuckerberg: Now share your organs with Facebook friends

Facebook is about "connecting and sharing" - especially now it can help you donate your internal organs, Mark Zuckerberg announced today. Describing it as "a life-saving initiative", the tousle-haired CEO officially announced a special button for people wanting to tell their friends that they are organ donors. "Became a organ …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fantastic

Now, can you please enter your immunotype info on that as well.

It will make an excellent data set to feed into a "prediction" of when you are next to have an accident leading to a vegetative state. Just correlate it to the income of recipients expecting a "donation" and voila...

If you are not helpful enough to share your immunotype information, do not worry, we will compute it from your relatives which have shared it with us.

This just went waaaaaaay off the Orwell-Huxley-Dick dystopia scale. Somewhere into Ira Levin's Perfect Day territory...

1. James Micallef Silver badge
      Unhappy

Re: Fantastic

and add in a bit of "Hostel" for good measure

2. Marvin the Martian
      Holmes

"compute it from your relatives"

Or conversely, we'll let you know that you're unrelated to your dad (like you always suspected).

2. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
    Boffin

Too bad no one can give Facebook an ethics transplant.

Every attempt has resulted in rejection.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Too bad no one can give Facebook an ethics transplant.

Unusually, every time it was the ethics that rejected Facebook.

3. mark 63 Silver badge
    Thumb Up

hmm

well , even though its FB i cant think anything to bitch about - that actually sounds like a good idea

although F**K the 18 americans , sounds like the US has the problem sewn up - theres thousands waiting and dying in this country

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: hmm

I give it weeks before it emerges that FB defaults to "share all my organs" and starts using the picture of your face as one of the people that "likes" this idea, next to the ads of organ banks. I suspect FB will sell them the names for "shares" at quite a rate.

I think it's a VERY bad idea for an unmanaged, barely controlled entity to broadcast your apparent permission. I rather like a properly signed form, witnessed by a solicitor - there are plenty of people desperate enough to make harvesting a very profitable crime, and "oops" is not going to cut it if your FB page appears to say "yes" and they ripped a kidney out.

Not for me, thanks. My FB experiment is almost complete apart from a Data Subject Access request, and after that I'll do a Kaiser Sose..

2. Great Bu

Umm....you did get that it's 18 Americans per day ? 6500 per year ?

1. mark 63 Silver badge
        Coat

18 per day?

no i didnt...

I'll Get me coat

4. Studley

Life Event > Health & Wellness >

Quit a Habit... > "Facebook"

5. squilookle
    Joke

All of a sudden the poking makes sense.

6. Thomas 18
    Stop

The new button lets you register to become an organ donor straight from the Facebook

I suspect it lets you join the organ donor register which is different from agreeing to a living donation. Either way some clarification in the article would be appreciated as the two are very different.

7. Garry_Harry
    Paris Hilton

"Became a organ donor" has been added to the list of health-related life events that a Facebooker can add to their "Timeline"

So, will the list of organs donated be added at the end of the timeline?

Paris, as she's probably had plenty of friends organs to play with in her timeline.

8. Blofeld's Cat
    Devil

Dammit...

I added that I was a kidney donor and now I've got dozens of iPad salesmen wanting to be my friend.

9. Neil Barnes Silver badge

I need a spleen...

Right... let's see who's volunteered.

1. Ted Treen
      Unhappy

Re: I need a spleen...

I'd let you have mine, but I've vented it rather too frequently - sometimes in these forums - in the past few weeks...

10. John A Blackley

Charming

What a lovely group of people commenting on this thread - I was particularly taken by mark 63's comment regarding f*ck the 18 Americans dying each day.

Pure class.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Charming

You should see if anyone has donated a thicker skin.

1. John A Blackley

Re: Charming

Said the coward

11. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Red Lists Get Black Listed with Secrets to Free You so Share Freely on White Lists with Star Lines

Does it have a MoJo Donation Button? To Inject Life into the Platform, Monsieur Mark.

12. Darryl

Obligatory M.P. reference

MAN:

What's this, then?

MR. BROWN:

A liver donor's card.

MAN:

Need we say more?

MR. BROWN:

Listen! I can't give it to you now. It says, 'in the event of death'!

MAN:

No one who has ever had their liver taken out by us has survived.

13. Dave 32
    FAIL

Opt-Out?

So, in the spirit of Facebook, was it made "opt-out"? Is everyone automatically included as an organ donor, unless they explicitly opt out (using a panel that's 15 levels deep, hidden behind obscure keywords)?

Dave

14. mrdalliard
    Trollface

If you're on Facebook, you've already donated your brain.

(See title)

1. Stoneshop

No

They've all been rejected due to lack of braininess.

2. Evil Auditor Silver badge

Re: If you're on Facebook, you've already donated your brain.

So, technically speaking, you could freely harvest among Farcebook users as they are braindead already. (As another commentard pointed out the 'opt out' will be hidden where no user can find it.)

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I take it this is US only, or are they planning on harvesting everyone's organs and shipping them to the US after death. Plus, i'm pretty sure clicking a "Donate My Organs" button on Facebook wouldn't have any actual legal standing in the UK.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

... "legal standing"

None at all in the UK, but I would avoid visiting the US, just in case.

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

UK Legal validity

Once you pop your clogs, your body belongs to your next-of-kin, to do with as they wish. So it's them that decide whether you get chopped up for spare parts, or for the dog's tea...

You didn't think all those pork pies grew on trees did you?

Well, dinner aside, your donor card has no legal validity. It's down to the doctors bothering to ask (as they don't enjoy that particular conversation with relatives), and your family saying yes.

There's been talk of new legislation to change this for years, but nothing ever seems to come of it. There seem to be 3 options on the table:

1. Insist all doctors have to ask, in any situation where organs would be usable.

2. Make it opt-out (Facebook style). You're up for the chop, unless your relatives object, or there's need of an autopsy/investigation.

3. Make the donor card legally binding, so a person's choice can override their relatives'.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: UK Legal validity

All correct, except if you live in Wales (soon, anyway) as the Welsh Assembly is working on a Bill which will institute a presumed consent to organ donation, unless you explicitly opt out.

If you don't opt out it is by no means clear that your relatives will get a look-in.

If it comes to it I will opt out and let my next of kin know my actual wishes.

1. ideapete
          Facepalm

Wales --- they wont donate anything there you might get Moby Dick and then the jigs up --- great for export to the French in need.

2. Neil 51
          Stop

"If it comes to it I will opt out and let my next of kin know my actual wishes."

So one of your final acts on earth will be to deny somebody the use of something which is now completely useless to you?

Sounds like your next of kin will be heaving a big sigh of relief to be rid of that selfish bastard.

And if it's because of some vague "ooo, it's all a bit big brother" argument, unfortunately assumed consent is necessary because people tend to be too lazy to go to the little effort it takes to opt-in even if they don't care much either way. Those who do care enough about it for religious or squeamish reasons will be the ones willing to put in the effort to opt-out.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

@Neil 51 (Re: UK Legal validity)

If you think the only objections are religious or 'squeamish' ones, you're not thinking very far. And also mis-reading what I said (my fault, maybe).

Quite simply, the choice would currently be in the hands of my Wife and children and I want it to remain that way, since they are the ones who would, in such an event, be seriously affected by the situation. If I have to opt-out in order to ensure that they are in control, that's what I'll do.

It doesn't mean I've said no at all, so 'selfish bastard' doesn't fit.

2. Paul Thomas 1

The docotrs usually leave it to the nurses to ask

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

'...shipping to the US..'

Just before you die, set up a web site with links to tv program torrent files (or probably just submit a comment about such a web site on twitter). The US will then very kindly extradite your organs free of charge to the US. For clarity, make sure that the web site (twitter post) specifically lays the blame for the heinous act at the door of the relevant organ. e.g. "I didn't want to post this but my kidneys made me do it...evil bastards that they are.." which could help the US to only extradite specific organs.

NOTE: This does NOT work in reverse. Claiming that you owned a web site with torrent links but 'my heart wasn't really in it..' is NOT a good idea. :-)

16. JP19
    Thumb Up

Bonus

Having a facebook profile confirms you are in a permanent vegetative state.

17. Ripperroo

Sharing your organ

I often offer my organ to women i meet on facebook, nothing new here....

1. Aaron Em

"Nothing new" indeed

Bet you've never offered to let one of 'em keep it...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: "Nothing new" indeed

keep, hold, it's all for fun & pleasure

18. mittfh

Can we have your liver, then?

Whenever life gets you down, Mrs. Brown,

And things seem hard or tough,

And people are stupid, obnoxious, or daft,

And you feel that you've had quite enough...

(You know the rest!)

(Come on - you can't mention organ donation and livers without Eric's Guide to Astrophysics!)

1. Spud2go

Re: Can we have your liver, then?

Ah, yes - Monty Python's "The meaning of Life"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aclS1pGHp8o

WARNING! Not for the faint hearted

19. anonnotworking
    Go

go all in

Yeah, good idea. I think they should clarify by providing info and detailed links by country. Run with it 'full on'.

(I mean, it's a 'no brainer' )

Note to IT: The anonymous login didn't work, firefox 12,adblock plus 2.0.3.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

So they've finally found a revenue stream?

They've realised their users are worth more as scrap value.

Seriously kids, sign up with the NHS in the UK for organ donation. Then give some blood - you've got loads. But Facebook can wait till long after I'm put in the ground...

21. Stevie

Bah!

This is a path to madness. Combine this daft idea with GPS and that ghastly girlwatcher stalkware and it should be obvious that people will never again be safe from brain-hungry packs of iPad-toting Zombies and organleggers with a hotel room c/w bath of ice on standby.

22. ideapete
    Mushroom

So how much $$$$ then ?

Does also open up the conundrum that everyone in the organ business, except the donor ( and their loved ones left behind ) make a ton ( lots $$$$ 00000 ) of money under the guise of benevolence and feeling good.

23. IGnatius T Foobar
    FAIL

kidney harvesting scheme

And you thought the kidney harvesting scheme was an urban legend! Now when you use Facebook it will make you 1000% *more* likely to wake up in a bathtub full of ice with organs missing.

1. Rob - Denmark
      Facepalm

Re: kidney harvesting scheme

Yep, those ready to abduct you and cut you open to harvest your kidney will definitely check your Facebook profile beforehand, and find another victim, if you haven't given your permission.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh, yeah, well ...

great, now I have to be worried about being cyber-stalked by Dick Cheney. The fun never ends.

25. TeeCee Gold badge
    Happy

Great!

Finally somewhere to send that old Wurlitzer that's cluttering up the garage.

Do they collect?

1. LaeMing
      Unhappy

Re: Great!

All I have is an old electric keyboard.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like