back to article Phone-hack saga: Murdoch 'not fit' to run News Corp, blast MPs

Rupert Murdoch is "not fit" to run a multinational corporation after demonstrating "wilful blindness" in his handling of the phone-hacking affair, which killed off his company's 168-year-old Sunday tabloid News of the World, MPs concluded today. The News Corp boss "turned a blind eye" to what was going on at his companies and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Eponymous Cowherd
    Holmes

No shit...........

Either he knew about the "hacking", in which case he's a crook, or he didn't know, in which case he's incompetent.

Either way, the "not fit" charge sticks".

1. Thomas 4

Quite right!

If anyone's capable of realising when something isn't suitable for it's intended purpose, it's our MPs.

2. ItsNotMe
      Thumb Up

Re: No shit...........

Typical politicians...Masters of the Obvious...after pissing away untold sums of money "investigating the facts".

1. JohnMurray

Re: No shit...........

And being on expenses funded dinners to mull-over the "evidence".

Not a bad "verdict":

Unfit for purpose.

Incompetent.

Still, at least the Honourable Members have previous experience of both of those, and still have at present.

Now, did Murdoch fiddle his expenses as well ?

Probably not, otherwise he would have been in the "club".

3. Arctic fox

Re: No shit...........What a difference a year or so makes.

It was not so long ago that none of them (with a few honourable exceptions) were willing to whisper one critical word in private about NI let alone condemn in public.

2. Blofeld's Cat
    Trollface

And if that wasn't bad enough...

Fox cancelled Firefly.

1. Crisp

Re: And if that wasn't bad enough...

Oh that is the last straw! Hang him!

2. teacake

Re: And if that wasn't bad enough...

"Fox cancelled Firefly."

It still hurts. It still hurts.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Murdoch is playing up his "doddering elderly man" routine whenever you see him, trying to look as pathetic as possible. The man is a sleazy, evil perversion of everything to do with journalism and business.

This man has caused damage to this and other nations for generations.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If you watch carefully he's only a doddery old man when it comes to answering questions about his own company. As soon as a question is asked about his detractors like David Yelland (ex editor of the Sun) or Andrew Neil (ex Times), the Mail group or the BBC, his mask slips and the poisonous old scrote emerges.

2. JohnMurray

Nice people do not run start and run companies.

Or countries.

Nice people serve at counters in shops, work in hospitals and run social clubs.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Nonsense

Plenty of nice people running their own businesses out there. The MD at my small company being one of them

3. This Side Up
      Stop

Just one rogue corporation

"This man has caused damage to this and other nations for generations."

No, polititians of both main parties have caused damage to this nation by cosying up to Murdoch in the mistaken belief that his rags might help their election campaigns. In reality Murdoch just wants to be on the winning side because that's the best way to sell newspapers.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"This man has caused damage to this and other nations for generations."

So he invaded Iraq?

So he ran up a huge national debt?

So he sold off our gold cheap?

Get a grip, lad.

1. Peter Murphy
        Thumb Down

He didn't invade Iraq, but he propagandized for the war in Iraq.

http://stopwar.org.uk/index.php/united-kingdom/635-rupert-murdoch-has-blood-on-his-hands

Bush and Blair deserve most of the blame, but it was Murdoch who told his papers to promote the war. It would have been far harder to have the conflict without him.

4. Spanners Silver badge
    Happy

Nothing surprising there then

I heard that comment on the TV news. They could have asked me 20 years ago and I would have told them this. He has not become unfit. Some people think he never was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhGF8a1HwP8 is not only funny but shows what other people thought some years ago...

5. squilookle
    Alert

"We conclude, therefore, that Rupert Murdoch is not a fit person to exercise the stewardship of a major international company."

I personally agree with that conclusion, but I'm surprised by how far reaching that statement is.

Anyway, I'm sure this will result in absolutely zero real consequences for the people responsible, NI will continue to rake in the cash, their other papers (that must have been using the same practices or at the very least have received as little attention from the Murdochs as NotW) will continue to operate without scrutiny and everything will carry on just the same.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"NI will continue to rake in the cash, their other papers "

What do you mean "other papers" - that implies that they closed NOTS, when the evidence is that they merely sacked the production staff, waited a while and rebranded it as the Scum on Sunday. So yes, everything will carry on (almost) just the same. Where things might vary is that this pleasingly direct parliamentary report will fuel the law suits on the other side of the Atlantic, where hopefully the FCPA will be brougt to bear, Leveson will add fuel to the fire.

And one other thing, ignoring the illegality, the actions of NI were unbelievably crass, self interested, and hurtful to people who in many instances were already coping with the most traumatic of events, with consequences that include forcing Milly Dowler's family to relieve every detail of her abduction and murder ten years after the event. I hope this is the end of Murdoch's career as a news tycoon, and I'm pleased that he's been rightfully vilified so that his career ends in shame and ignominy. Indeed, he's an old buzzard, and arguably his life is ending in shame and ignominy of his own making.

They won't be able to take his money off of him, but for a controlling, proud and vain man, I suspect its a far harsher punishment to build an empire like this, and then watch his reputation and that of his dynastic family trickle like sand through his own boney, grasping fingers....

1. squilookle

"What do you mean "other papers""

They own more than just the Sun and NotW. The Times is one, I'm sure they have many others too, probably smaller and local ones (I'm not going to check that or find a list though)

1. JohnMurray

Major problems in Russia as well....supposedly worse than here

6. Pete 2 Silver badge

Let's apply the same standard more widely

ISTM the accusation of "wilful blindness" is fitting to almost any situation where a person in power should reasonably have known what was going on. Whether that person is running a company or a government - maybe the time has come to start investigating more people, including our (ex) leaders and holding them to the same standard.

Though really this is just the start. The big question is: what happens now? Presumably all the NI/NoTW underlings who are still the subject of police charges will be duly processed, but the guy at the top will just walk away?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Let's apply the same standard more widely

Hopefully the folks at Ofcom who are investigating whether News International is a fit company to own a stake in BSkyB will be paying attention. It would a national tragedy worthy of a day off work and massive street parties if NI were found unsuitable and forced to sell their stake in the company.

1. JohnMurray

Re: Let's apply the same standard more widely

Ofcom.

There's a hope.

Still, nothing a few well-paid jobs ex-ofcom cannot take care of.

7. Tony S
    Devil

"Rupert Murdoch is "not fit" to run a multinational corporation ... MPs concluded today."

Pot - kettle; kettle - pot.

I wonder how many of these same MP's were previously more than happy to accept invites to meet from Murdoch in order to help them bolster their self worth / political career? Not that I think that would excuse him or his actions; but neither side have clean hands.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Quote: "The report also concluded that Les Hinton - who had been Murdoch's right-hand man for 52 years until he quit at the height of the phone hacking scandal in July 2011 - as well as NI legal boss Tom Crone and the News of the World's final editor Colin Myler had all "misled" the committee when submitting evidence to the MPs."

This paragraph says all there is to be said about the committee having any relevance and power whatsoever.

As they say in the Middle East: "The dogs can keep barking, the caravan will walk on regardless".

9. g e
    Megaphone

"apologises to everyone whose privacy was invaded"

Words are cheap.

Get your wallet out - £1M each compensation as punishment.

10. Intractable Potsherd
    Happy

Can this become precedent?

I think it would be a marvellous idea if all executives of large multinationals were to be vetted for fitness to run these over-powerful businesses. Of course, MPs' criteria and mine would probably differ quite dramatically (there are few bosses of multinationals that would pass my basic test of having sufficient regard for humanity).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Can this become precedent?

Vetted by you?

No thanks.

1. Intractable Potsherd
        Stop

Re: Can this become precedent?

Why - because I wouldn't be as legal positivist as you? I might have regard to the wider picture and not deal in retribution (read: barbarism) to the extent you deem appropriate?

AC doesn't hide who you are, to within three people on here.

11. g e
    Holmes

Not fit to run a megacorp

Shame no comment on whether or not he was fit to live was proffered

12. Richard Tobin

"split on party lines"

Tories are denouncing the report as partisan - Labour and Lib Dems support it, the Tories don't. In other words, Murdoch can *still* rely on the Tories to protect him. What has he got on them?

1. JimC
      FAIL

Re: "split on party lines"

or if you look at it from the other direction Labour still haven't forgiven Murdoch/The Sun for advising their readers not to vote for them and you'd be astonished if their side didn't make that accusation. Either way its pretty stupid producing a report split down party lines and expecting us to treat it seriously.

13. Christoph
    Pirate

Same old story

"Rupert Murdoch is "not fit" to run a multinational corporation"

Almost exactly what they once said about Robert Maxwell - not that it kept him down for long.

1. Eponymous Cowherd
      Joke

Re: Same old story

Well, someone held him down long enough to inhale a fatal lungful of the Atlantic Ocean

2. peter 45
      Happy

Re: Same old story

Yeh. I heard it was not long before he floated to the surface.

14. John A Blackley

"Is"?

The Dirty Digger never was fit to run an international corporation - not when Mrs. T. was in power and never since.

As for potential charges of contempt of parliament, no wonder MPs are angry. A foreigner comes in and takes their job of lying to parliament? Of course they're angry!

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Standard management technique

Management 101 - be unaware of things which are inconvenient. If the lynch mob got everyone fired who did this, then every company would be devoid of middle and senior managers. For grunt levels the equivalent is 'I didn't get training'.

16. LPF
    Thumb Up

blah blah blah 80 year old billionaire , laughs in the faces of bunch of expense cheats!

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Demote him to....

...paper boy!

(Keep an eye on the takings though)

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

that said it takes guts

for politicians to call somebody, publicly, a liar (well, not that this word was used, but words to that effect)

Guts, I say. For he might still bite back, you know... leak the details about, say, for example and purely hypothetically, how some politicians bent backwards to be his pals when he was "the man".

Now it's time for manure-throwing competition, to get brownie points before the story gets buried and the great British public turn their attention to other matters ;)

funny how things never change, never.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Excellent

One newspaper down, now lets give the rest the same treatment to the rest of the media organisations to clear out the rot.

As long as Piers Morgan continues to smirk on TV rather than from within a jail cell, then the job remains unfinished....

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Reporting to?

I just think it's amusing that this committee and the Leveson Inquiry both report to .... Jeremy Hunt ! In fact, if you read the appointment letters for the Assessors to the Inquiry (on the Inquiry website) you'll see that he signed them too.

It's almost like that Blackadder episode where the Lord High Executioner accidentally signs his own death warrant ...

21. Tom 7

Be careful for what you wish for

for who will fill the vacuum on his departure? Anyone one with any integrity in the organisation was sidelined or strangled by their own intestines long ago.

1. This Side Up

Re: Be careful for what you wish for

Anyone who wants to run a media empire is by definition unfit to do so.

22. PassiveSmoking
    Mushroom

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy

It's always hilarious to see someone get hoisted by his own petard.

Now run his arse out of the country!

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That doesn't make sense

Starting this comment by making my view on Rupert Murdoch clear so there's no chance it will be misread as some sort of defence for him - I think the man is scum and has contributed to the general f*cking up of society in this country more than almost anyone else over the last few decades. If prison sentences were dished out according to the amount of damage done rather than whether someone broke the law he would be rotting in a dark hole for the rest of his days. Now that's out of the way....

"Rupert Murdoch is "not fit" to run a multinational corporation ... MPs concluded today." That statement is just utterly f*cking stupid. Is that supposed to be a half-hearted effort to rally the News Corp shareholders into giving him the boot or just a shallow attempt to jump on the popularity of hating News International to help us forget that they've been selling out to RM and his empire for years.

He isn't a publicly elected official so the fact that he is currently doing it means that, by definition, he is fit to do it. This is a free-market economy. Capitalism. Deal with the consequences or change the rules. Don't just bitch about the fact that someone played your game better than you did. As our elected representatives, you are supposed to be making sure that the ecosystem of the UK doesn't become the sort of place where predatory corporations can run riot and you appear to be failing, probably because you're spending too much time looking after your own and removing our rights as individuals in the name of trying to protect us from ourselves.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: That doesn't make sense

Have to agree completely, also the mash pretty much hit the nail on the head too.

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/business/old-bastard-attacked-by-useless-shower-of-piss-201205025183/

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"tories still support him"....

indeed... what does he have on them ?

as for not fit to run a company: who are they to decide ? did the committee ever got even to his knees in terms of creating/running a company ?

1. Richard 12 Silver badge
      FAIL

Re: "tories still support him"....

Don't think the Tories support him, they just agree with you that they have no clue whatsoever what it takes to run a company so can't make such a pronouncement. Seems that the other parties hold no such compunctions.

They are also right that the committee did not have the scope or power to state that Murdoch is unfit in any meaningful way and so should not have done so - that's the job of OFCOM and/or Companies House (depending on the reason - both are plausible in this case).

However, they could still recommend to Parliament that he be locked up for contempt for a few years.

It concerns me that the only 'punishment' Parliament seem to be considering is simply telling him that he was a very naughty boy and really shouldn't do it again.

That makes Parliament look weaker than the ASA for $deity's sake.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Stop buying his products

I haven't since he cheated the Fleet St printers out of the redundancy money which was their right. I I avoid eating and drinking in pubs which show his TV channels as much as possible. Vince Cable got it right: he is the enemy.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Stop buying his products

Agreed, Vince Cable had the right idea. If only he could have kept his mouth shut a bit longer.

26. Marvin O'Gravel Balloon Face

Meh.

Unlike Tom Watson, Rupert Murdoch never helped himself to more free food than was good for him at my expense. I didn't buy his papers, and I'm not sure why I'm supposed to care.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Misled

That certain people from News International "misled" the committee is quite interesting.

Contempt of parliament can lead to appearing in public before the nations representatives and getting some sort of bollocking for it.

Unfortunately Parliament is not likely to go as far as when they handed out the ultimate sanction to Charles I.

This topic is closed for new posts.