back to article Virgin Media piles Cable and Wireless sandbags

Virgin Media attempted to win back some shareholder and media confidence late yesterday, by announcing a deal with Cable and Wireless to offer LLU ADSL for areas outside its cable network. Virgin already has some ADSL customers off its own network, but an LLU(Local Loop Unbundling) deal is key to delivering a bundle at a price …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Too little too late

I find it amusing that all of a sudden Telewest\Virgin Media are thinking about their CURRENT customers, rather than chasing new ones. Up until now, current customers have been fleeced by not being offered the same kind of deals that new customers are offered.

Its about time they learned that they're not the only team on the field - and that frankly they're a poor B rated team anyway.

Goodby Virgin Media - and good riddance.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ADSL helps me how??

The sole reason I am with Virgin is because i'm to far from an exchange to get anything higher 1 mb service. Now I face the potential of being capped, I would be happier if they invested in thier cable infrastucture so they could do away with the capping then go into adsl, but then i'm a selfish bugger

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

NTL (Virgin)

Its about time this capping (shaping, bandwith filtering etc) was outlawed. I bought an uncapped service and the first time I get aware that I am being capped. Bye Bye NTL.

4. George Forth

Funny how things go in circles...

It was less than 10 years ago that Cable & Wireless sold its consumer customer base to NTL, too... Service never got any better then and the mess that C&W's subsidiary had left it in, it nearly bankrupted NTL. Round two... BING!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Take A Leaf Out Of Frances Book...

One thing that has made me laugh is the comment of Virgin Media being able to offer the same priced services as cable?!

What, Why? Cable is already over priced and compared to the rest of Europe we pay way over the odds for a lesser service. UK £37 for 20MB shaped, France 20MB, 200 TV channels, and Unlimited Calls all through one small box for around £20, the same services on cable would cost you a bomb...

Maybe what needs to be done with Virgin Media first is to focus on the cable network to provide more competitive, reliable, and Unique services like france at a similar price with plenty of investment into the network and abolish traffic shaping then maybe they will see more customers stay and join and make their shareholder happy rather than peeing everyone off!!!!!!!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Congratulations, Virgin! You just lost another customer.

A friend of mine, who was a Virgin user (originally NTL), just moved house.

Her new place is not too far from the old one, and in a cable area, but they could (would?) not connect her. Some fatuous argument between Virgin and the housing association about wayleave (the grant of right to lay cable on a property). Totally irrelevant as one of the other flats in the place is already cabled.

So, she now has a BT phone and a Freeview box, and is checking out the options from various ADSL providers.

Haven't Virgin twigged that if you market a service you then have to follow through and provide it?

Me, I'll stay with Virgin for the time being, just to see what happens. But there is a BT line here that could be reactivated, and a TV aerial on the roof.

7. AJ

Comment On Wayleave!!

May I suggest you find out the full facts about what the issue actually is with wayleave that your friend is having.

It has nothing to do with someone else having cable in one of the flats in the property, its because the place your friend has moved into is owned by a housing association which is classed as a private landlord, therefore unless they was an active account with a previous customer before you friend moved in they MUST get permission from the landlord before they can cable its a legal requirement!

Thats why they write to the landlord to request permission, if they dont get a reply or its refused they cant go ahead and install the cables. If they do reply and give permission to cable then they can do...

That was the explanation i was given when i had the same issue with cable about 3 years ago, it was sorted like only a few weeks and my housing association have permission!!!!!!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like