back to article Intel came a-knockin' for Cray super interconnects

The news that supercomputer maker Cray was selling off its interconnect hardware business to chip giant Intel was a bit of a shocker yesterday, and the top brass at Cray got on the horn with Wall Street bright and early this morning to explain the deal a bit more. First of all, Peter Ungaro, president and CEO at Cray, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. theblackhand

AMD/SeaMicro/HPC

"If AMD was going to lose the high-end supercomputer battle against Intel in the Cascade generation at Cray, then the 3D torus/mesh interconnect created by SeaMicro, which can scale to thousands of nodes, could give AMD something to peddle to OEMs chasing smaller HPC shops as well as hyperscale and dense cloud infrastructure."

My reading of the SeaMicro hardware is that it is shared nothing. The clever parts are in the perf/w, power, connectivity and rack space to simplify life for large data centres. While this could scale down to small installations as well, I don't see an HPC angle.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Devil

People are talking "millions". I hope they count in centîmes...

How does that compare to a billion dollar for a photoshop filter and assorted commodity hardware?

1. xperroni
      Facepalm

Re: People are talking "millions". I hope they count in centîmes...

How does that compare to a billion dollar for a photoshop filter and assorted commodity hardware?

I made the same point on the earlier story about this deal. It boggles the mind that real tech like Cray's interconnect architecture can command at best a bunch tens of millions, while the dullest fanboi start-ups can sell themselves off for far more.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Intel lost out I suspect

I don't think Cray is a valuable to Intel as Sea Micro would have been.

1. Stephen Booth

Re: Intel lost out I suspect

I'm not sure. SeaMicro have a working product but Intel sell chips and it would take a while for their customers to build the new chips into their road-maps.

Its always going to take a product cycle before something like this makes an impact and I think the SeaMicro lead will be eroded by then.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Selling the family jewels

Selling my shares in Cray too..

5. something

The short term versus the long term

The article concludes brilliantly. In the short term, Cray will see a profit. But in the long term what is the key differentiator of its systems? If they dont come up with something really brilliant, how can they compete with much larger boys such as HP, Dell (IBM will be on a different league by then)?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like