back to article Linux-less Eee PC launched in Japan

Asus has formally launched its bonsai laptop, the Eee PC, in Japan, pre-installing the machine with Windows XP Home Edition rather than Linux. The machine's specifications proved to be those of the standard 4GB solid-state disc model - the Eee PC 701, aka the 4G, though in Japan it's called the 4G-X. In addition to 4GB of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. The_Police!
    Thumb Up

Shes back!

Hooray!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

So where's the Japanese cat-girl?

No, I'm not talking about Hello Kitty.

3. Rob Foster
    Happy

Not Vista?

Do you suppose it embarrasses MS to have to use a legacy operating system to shoehorn it into the Eee?

p.s. - You need a sheep(ish) icon.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@AC

I think Arisa should be their idol of choice

http://arisaa.sakura.ne.jp/photo/yami/hi.html

(BTW Epic nose bleed)

Keep your beach girl.

She should probably dress as XP Tan though

Anon Superhero Delivers

5. Andrew
    Alert

I'd rather stick ubuntu on it.

It's a bit like WinCE for Mobile Phones. Use Software that was designed for the unit, rather than try and load something generic onto it.

Having just got a HTC Kaiser it's just not as good as the iPhone (or even my openmoko.. well at least the HTC can make calls at the moment..) it's just too fiddly.

XP on the Asus.. not for me.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ubuntu

Does ubuntu have a full (working) Japanese Character set (Kanji, Hirigana and Katakana)?

Delicious Arisa is Delicious.

7. Paul M
    Linux

Shocked!!!

... that the photo caption mentions nothing about turning Japanese.....

Oh well, Paris Hilton icon instead I guess...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

Interesting price!

Are these devices much cheaper in Japan or are Microsoft giving XP Home away? Because that price looks low considering the specs *and* an included Windows license.

9. Tristan
    Happy

Already out

It's been available in Tokyo stores for a number of days already. I've seen it with my eyes!

10. heystoopid
    Alien

ooh la la

ooh la la a sight for sore eyes , she is back yet again !

It would appear ASUS is trying to use up it's last batch of XP Home unused licenses as those buying current notebooks are usually retro fitting XP Pro until the original product license stuck on the portable unit matures so as to speak !

11. David Gosnell

Dead pixels

I wonder if that bit about dead pixels is going to be widespread policy. To date, Asus have insisted that the Eee is an appliance, not a laptop, and exempt from any kind of warranty over dead pixels. Understandable at the price point, but maybe they realise now they're selling more to professionals than kids, such things do matter.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@AC Re: So where's the Japanese cat-girl?

"No, I'm not talking about Hello Kitty."

Are you talking about Hello Pussy?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like