back to article Post-iiNet ISPs may celebrate, but hosts should fret

While ISPs and carriers are justified in tossing their hats skywards after iiNet’s win over rights-owners in the High Court, the decision doesn’t confer a blanket immunity over the whole IT sector. To understand why this is so, it’s necessary to understand the basis on which the High Court made its decision. Since 2008, the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Humbug

Hosters rent hosts to tenants. Are landlords required to police the activities of their tenants and kick them out from a house? There should be no problem getting them to "let the police in" with an appropriate warrant but it is not up to the landlord to punish the tenant. That is a matter for the courts.

This privatisation of the justice system is to be shunned. If these people are criminals, it isn't fair to open up the hosting organisations to retaliation. That is why we have the "King's Peace." Vigilantism isn't something we encourage. No-one is in a clear and present danger, there is plenty time to take people to court. The content industries just don't want to spend the money and reap the bad publicity.

Humbug to them.

I find myself becoming more a freetard as time goes on. Not an infringer, but I'm simply not willing to pay for the rubbish the content industry churns out. I might watch it on telly when it comes out but I'm not going to the cinema or renting the DVD. I'd rather do without and play a game of monopoly with the kids.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Humbug

"I'd rather do without and play a game of monopoly with the kids."

Likewise. Ultimately, it'll be the creative people who write the scripts for these movies, or write the songs, and the performers of these creative works, that will lose out. And it'll all be because of the actions of the very industry groups that exist to look after their interests.

Besides, I think a board game is more entertaining and better for family relations.

2. flibbertigibbet
    Facepalm

Hosting companies

Surely there is no argument DMCA was always intended to cover hosting companies and the like. This isn't a surprise, it is how it's designers intended it.

1. Dr Hotdog
      Stop

Re: Hosting companies

Er, DMCA is (fortunately) an American law only. This is an article about the legal situation in Australia. I'm sure that Big Content would love to impose the DMCA on the rest of the world but it hasn't managed it yet, so it's not really relevant to this discussion.

3. g e
    Joke

So if I accuse Big Media

Of being total fecking arseclowns and they don't mend their ways, I can argue that they're are authorising Arseclownage so long as I sent them a document outlining how, in my opinion, they're doing it.

Now I just need to construct a case round that argument somehow...

This topic is closed for new posts.